Ideas for a Mod - Seeking Suggestions

Started by Thor110, September 26, 2017, 08:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
September 28, 2017, 05:22:58 PM #15 Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:30:21 PM by LitFam
Actually I released a file on moddb with the Battle of The Clone Wars alpha 1.3. You just have to dig through the comments.

Why are you expecting people to give you things. Modders for Star Wars Battlefront 2 prefer to keep thier assets for them selves. I am pretty sure Anakin will never release every asset for his SWRC mod or give his files to anyone, however he has released about 19% of his SWRC mod's assets on GameToast.

Quote from: Thor110 on September 28, 2017, 05:15:51 PM
So shall I take it for now, nobody knows of a way to unmunge / extract / decompile a mod / map?
There were other reasons for wanting to do this, the main game levels for example, again I would contact the user Harrisonfog1, but I wanted to see if any of their rezzed textures would work in any of the other maps, as well as maybe make some higher resolution textures for the other maps myself.

Even with the modtools, you guys have modified, shared and reproduced copyrighted content... as well as gaining access to source materials and content you were not meant to have access too... the .exe to begin with... even if not the source, the compiled version has been modified.

If you want to talk legalese and copyright, you are sharing a .exe from a game on your website... modified...

Ultimately, I get the feeling you guys don't have any idea how game development or modding began... it began by gaining access to source code people were not allowed access to most if not all of the time. & I really didn't want to say it like that... but that is the case.

Seems to be the case for most so called "modders" or "developers" now-a-days... All running side-by-side with the copyright / intellectual property hype, all the meanwhile re-iterating the same old rhetoric...

Actually... point of fact...

"THIS WEBSITE IS NOT MADE, DISTRIBUTED, SUPPORTED OR ENDORSED BY OR OTHERWISE AFFILIATED WITH LUCASARTS, A DIVISION OF LUCASFILM ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LTD.  STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT AND ALL ELEMENTS THEREOF ARE TM & © LUCASARTS, A DIVISION OF LUCASFILM ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LTD.  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. "

Do you guys have rights to reproduce or share the EXE? an EXE that also cracks the video game software.
Let's not discuss copyright issues here please.

Let's be realistic here, how many mods other than the one by CdtFox are recent? or actually stand any chances of being updated? Not many.
I was gonna go to sleep but I think I gotta reply to u before doing so.

We know and have ways to unmunge files, if u had done some research u would have found the tools.

Unfortunately u are wrong. The modding toolbox were given by PsychoFred, not decompiled to create a modding toolbox.

It is not that we have modified stuff to get those modding tools to work, but added new files which were missing from it (or that came after the modding programs).
There is no such thing as something we weren't meant to get access to. The modding tools were released long ago. If we had found a way to access stuff we were not meant to, we'd have access the exe source code to modify it at our will.

The exe is the only thing we have shared, but we disapprove of ilegal downloads. You cannot get the game to work just with an exe, because the exe is the source code compilled which will call to certain files u'll need, and to get them, u're gonna have to purchase the games.

Also, if were to have been sued for hosting a substitute masterserver, they would have contacted us.

We do know how it began, but I think u do not. Back to when I modded I had lots of guides and documents by PshychoFred about modding (which I never uploaded cause he never gave me permission to do so).

It's not the hype, but how stuff works. If u do not like it here, move to another website. But I will certainly not allow u to come here, call us fascists and start doing whatever u want because that is not how it works, and I would love to see what GameToast would do in this same situation.

The exe doesnt crack the videogame software. U should learn some programming and get to know how swbf works.

It's true that we don't have much modding activity left. Even I stopped modding after I started as Community Ambassador, but that does not justify what u're trying to do.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Thor110 on September 28, 2017, 05:15:51 PM

If you want to talk legalese and copyright, you are sharing a .exe from a game on your website... modified...

Neither Anyder or I have brought up legalese.  Quite the opposite.

Now get to work and make that mod for us.  I can't wait to rip the models from it!  It will save me a ton of time.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Do I know how to mod, well would I have wasted my time installing all the tools to do so if I didn't?

I can be nice and tell you that I have never modded battlefront 2...

Would I have got hold of the tools for extracting models and textures from kotor if I didn't know how to?

& Great, dig through the comments, who would make a page on moddb, release the mod and not put it in the files section?

"I am pretty sure" Why, do you know the person? Have you asked before? What makes you say this?

Sounds to me then, like Battlefront 2 modders are douchebags...

Also that was such a dirty generalisation it was almost racist...

"Modders for Star Wars battlefront 2 prefer to keep thier assets for them selves."

Oh yeah, there is already the Source for adding the Republic Commando sides to maps... so that would have been a start to point out wouldn't it...

See that is the kind of response I actually expected, though no doubt you will follow up with "its a joke" something tells me gametoast.com banned the entire world for people stealing their content... right?
"A cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal!" - Gray Fox

September 28, 2017, 05:51:37 PM #19 Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:01:25 PM by LitFam
Calling us "douchebags =  :censored:" will get your account suspended or banned, also your not starting off well with a good reputation into the star wars battlefront 2 community.

"Well, that's about right.  But know very few of us here are SWBF2 modders."

Why Led...

GameToast doesn't put up with mods that use assets without the original modders premission, also on moddb you would just get reported.

I know there's is a source to add SWRC units to your mod. I said about 19% of the assets were released.

i2Bros has computer probelms that is why he never released the file in the file section. I have premission to give the file to anyone becuase I am a co-leader for Battles of The Clone Wars.

Why do I even bother wasting my time creating these words. I will leave the arguing to other members of SWBFGamers.

September 28, 2017, 05:58:18 PM #20 Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:00:19 PM by Led
Quote from: Thor110 on September 28, 2017, 05:49:07 PM
Sounds to me then, like Battlefront 2 modders are douchebags...

Well, that's about right.  But know very few of us here are SWBF2 modders.

Quote from: Thor110 on September 28, 2017, 05:49:07 PM
See that is the kind of response I actually expected, though no doubt you will follow up with "its a joke" something tells me gametoast.com banned the entire world for people stealing their content... right?

I don't think anyone is joking.  But you will have to ask the GT folks why they have such a ban list.

You sound like another member we had here that really didn't read our posts and was very difficult to communicate with.  I think if you go back and read our replies to you with a clear head, you will find that we are only trying to be helpful to you about the basic community standards.

Yet somehow racism, fascism, and feminine hygiene products have already been brought into it--and not by us.

Cool your jets for a while or I will mute you for a few days.

Did I call you directly such a thing? No.

Had any of you actually read my post you might have responded some what like swgaming1015 did...

Ultimately overall yes I was looking for advice on what people thought would be the best ways to achieve fixing some of the problems with some of the old maps, game modes and factions, other than gaining access to the source...

But there were also some changes I wanted to make to all maps if possible, such as replacing the Medical & Gonk droids with the Battlefront 3 alpha models, this is why I asked about decompiling because, the chances of me getting permission from every mods creator is very slim indeed, the chances of getting them to update alongside whatever I create, even slimmer and then there is always the possibility the original creator might not even have the source themselves anymore...

Ascertes and swgaming1015 gave some suggestions and the rest of you jumped to conclusions.

"however he has released about 19% of his SWRC mod's assets on GameToast." you edited that in 8 minutes after posting, so I did not see it while I was typing my reply, I also only looked at the latest posts when warned before posting.

Quote from: Thor110 on September 28, 2017, 06:23:15 PM
Did I call you directly such a thing? No.

I don't care if you called me those things directly or indirectly.  They have no place here--not for me, not for anyone here.

BTW, we read your posts.     

I suggest you give a shot to making one map first, then you can try to change every map that has ever been made.

Apologies for keeping you up, as for what I am trying to do, I came here with the intent of learning to map for battlefront 2 and seeking help learning my way around the tools and into the files, also I can tell you now, the exe does crack the video game software, because I can run it without the disc or without steam. Anyway moving on from that.

Tell you what, I'll mute myself for a few days and carry on looking around for whatever tools, files and fixes I can find.

Led im and led to believe you have tools to unmunge?

Have you considered open sourcing these tools so they can be used and improved by the greater opensource community?

September 28, 2017, 06:49:04 PM #25 Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:51:13 PM by wallermadev
In case you don't know of me... https://github.com/wallermadev/

Provided I could gain access to every map ever made with relative ease, changing the gonk droids and medical droids on all of them, really wouldn't be that big a workload...

I also didn't say I wanted to "try to change every map that has ever been made" I clearly stated where I was going to start and what I wanted to do.

I also meant "did I call you a douchebag" the answer is no. Don't even know why I wrote "directly", same reason LitFam forgot to put such an obscurely accurate percentage for how much of the SWRC mods source was released.

I also should have edited my post to say "sounds like most bf2 modders are douchebags then"

Anyway I shall go find these magical tools that are nowhere to be found on the internet, you know like the BF3 Leaked Alpha for PC, you guys find yourself a copy of that yet?

Quote from: wallermadev on September 28, 2017, 06:46:32 PM
Led im and led to believe you have tools to unmunge?

Have you considered open sourcing these tools so they can be used and improved by the greater opensource community?

It's sleepkillers, available on github.  And welcome  :cheers:

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=12158.0

Quote from: Thor110 on September 28, 2017, 06:45:11 PM
Apologies for keeping you up, as for what I am trying to do, I came here with the intent of learning to map for battlefront 2 and seeking help learning my way around the tools and into the files, also I can tell you now, the exe does crack the video game software, because I can run it without the disc or without steam. Anyway moving on from that.

Tell you what, I'll mute myself for a few days and carry on looking around for whatever tools, files and fixes I can find.

There is no DRM on SWBF2.   No disk required, just a code.  You still need the code with the patched exe.

Quote from: Thor110 on September 28, 2017, 06:52:57 PM
Anyway I shall go find these magical tools that are nowhere to be found on the internet, you know like the BF3 Leaked Alpha for PC, you guys find yourself a copy of that yet?

Nope.   But I hear facepunch has/had a bunch of models.