Previous topic - Next topic

Playstation 3 or Xbox 360?

Xbox 360
9 (47.4%)
Playstation 3
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Quote from: Roxas on November 17, 2012, 05:48:45 PM
I have both systems. Both have great games, but Xbox has the better online. Playstation has much better graphics, more exclusives, but poorer online.

PS3 is great for games that go really deep into their surroundings like the Uncharted, Kingdom Hearts, or Ratchet and Clank series. The PS3 is also better for racing games like NFS or Ridge Racer. As for the online play, this is just from my experience, but dang people just suck. I mean they are terrible. Either they use really cheap tatics, or they are just completely incompetent. I played online once and got 74-2. That was a 1vs3 game. I cannot go into their spawn because there are invincible machine guns with autoaim to prevent spawn killing. I literally hung outside of their spawn, all alone, and just slaughtered them. Not to mention they all have better connection than me half of the time. I don't lag, but they still have a better connection. I'll admit, every once in a while I come across a good player. My overall kdr for that game is 3.0 or so.

Xbox is great for more linear based games like Halo, CoD, etc. Also it's control setup is better for shooting games.

I for one, agree on that note. I played CoD on my friend's PS3, and I was awful, I couldn't get the shooting stuff down, and it was just me and him fighting.

Whereas when I played SWBF on my other friend's Xbox 360, I was actually able to shoot and stuff, and that was bots and him.

Although I have never played online on either console, I see more walkthrough's for the more popular titles, on an Xbox 360. I rarely see a walkthough that is played through a PS3 on YouTube.

General statement, if you got the money for online, buy an Xbox. If you don't got the money, but would rather a high KDR for shooter games, take a PS3.

I, am the textbook definition of a n00b on the 360. I was playing halo reach and I managed to

-stick myself with a plasma grenade (3 times)
-kill myself with my own gun (4 times)
-pilot a covenant tank (the big ones), have a lag issue, and then suddenly shoot off into space, or go flying across the map into a wall (twice)
-run into a wall so hard that I died (probably lag)
-accidentally fire a rocket while walking, inadvertantly was aimed at the ground. Killed myself and 5 teammates. Got booted from server.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

November 17, 2012, 07:11:25 PM #32 Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:25:19 PM by aeria.
Well I own all three consoles so I have experience across the board.
IMO the xbox and ps3 are on par with each other and the wii remains in the market simply from casual/non-gamers. The hardcore crowd has mostly converted to the xbox and ps3 for their regular gaming. The last time I used the wii was to play Goldeneye.

Most games this generation are released on both the PS3 and Xbox 360. In most cases they play and look identical but occasionally the PS3 will suffer from framerate problems or inferior visuals. There are exclusives on both systems and it's a matter of if you like the exclusives. Some people really love the Gears of War franchise while others would enjoy the Uncharted series. There aren't too many exclusive games out there this generation so it's a matter of which exclusive games you're interested in. Otherwise they're the same system.
Another major factor is if you play online. While the PS3 offers free online gaming, the xbox 360 has a larger player base and generally has less lag in multiplayer games. On broadband connections it isn't too big of a deal but if your internet speed is limited, you will see the difference. Many of my friends play on the xbox and therefore I find it better to play the xbox online. While I hate paying for online, it was a compromise I had to make. The PS3 lacks multi-game voice chat, a feature that I've found myself using quite a lot. If all your friends are playing on the xbox, you'd generally want to get the xbox. If all your friends are playing on the PS3, you'd generally want a PS3.

Other factors are the UI (I loathe the UI of the xbox but once again, compromise), controller (I personally like the PS3 controller more but many people prefer the xbox), and possibly family-friendly titles.

If you're interested in a family-safe gaming experience, I'd suggest picking up a Wii and some party games for your kids. The PS3 and Xbox 360 has enough titles full of gore, violence, and sex.

That's my opinion on the consoles. They're more or less the same so just choose on the smaller things that you like better.

Quote from: Disciple on November 14, 2012, 11:59:22 AM
Ps Vita was a fail because they realeased the ''Playstation Phone" known as Xperia Play, almost at same time and price ( with the games),the diference is that the Xperia is a phone, so why would anyone buy the PsVita? I know that`s from Sony Ericson but still has Sony in the name....

That's probably the most ignorant post I've seen.

The Xperia play has vastly inferior hardware and doesn't even officially support Android 4.x. The hardware doesn't make games look impressive at all and is largely insignificant when compared to other phones.

The PS Vita isn't as successful as estimated because smartphones as a whole have taken over the portable gaming market. Many people are interested having an iphone or galaxy SIII rather than a dedicated portable gaming device. Before smartphones, they only way to play games on the go would be with a DS, PSP or similar. Also being limited to 3G internet didn't help to sell the concept of "online anywhere".

The same trend applies to the 3DS. The sales aren't good at all for the same reason, smartphones. Not xperia play, the better smartphones.

#TYBG

November 17, 2012, 07:17:10 PM #33 Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:20:37 PM by BlackScorpion
Quote from: jdee-barc on November 17, 2012, 06:10:19 PM
I, am the textbook definition of a n00b on the 360. I was playing halo reach and I managed to

-stick myself with a plasma grenade (3 times)
-kill myself with my own gun (4 times)
-pilot a covenant tank (the big ones), have a lag issue, and then suddenly shoot off into space, or go flying across the map into a wall (twice)
-run into a wall so hard that I died (probably lag)
-accidentally fire a rocket while walking, inadvertantly was aimed at the ground. Killed myself and 5 teammates. Got booted from server.

I was playing Modern Warfare 2 the other day, and had a teammate whose score was something like 8-77.  Yes, that's eight kills to almost eighty deaths.

Quote from: aeria. on November 17, 2012, 07:11:25 PM
Well I own all three consoles so I have experience across the board.
IMO the xbox and ps3 are on par with each other and the wii remains in the market simply from casual/non-gamers. The hardcore crowd has mostly converted to the xbox and ps3 for their regular gaming. The last time I used the wii was to play Goldeneye.

Most games this generation are released on both the PS3 and Xbox 360. In most cases they play and look identical but occasionally the PS3 will suffer from framerate problems or inferior visuals. There are exclusives on both systems and it's a matter of if you like the exclusives. Some people really love the Gears of War franchise while others would enjoy the Uncharted series. There aren't too many exclusive games out there this generation so it's a matter of which exclusive games you're interested in. Otherwise they're the same system.
Another major factor is if you play online. While the PS3 offers free online gaming, the xbox 360 has a larger player base and generally has less lag in multiplayer games. On broadband connections it isn't too big of a deal but if your internet speed is limited, you will see the difference. Many of my friends play on the xbox and therefore I find it better to play the xbox online. While I hate paying for online, it was a compromise I had to make. The PS3 lacks multi-game voice chat, a feature that I've found myself using quite a lot. If all your friends are playing on the xbox, you'd generally want to get the xbox. If all your friends are playing on the PS3, you'd generally want a PS3.

Other factors are the UI (I loathe the UI of the xbox but once again, compromise), controller (I personally like the PS3 controller more but many people prefer the xbox), and possibly family-friendly titles.

If you're interested in a family-safe gaming experience, I'd suggest picking up a Wii and some party games for your kids. The PS3 and Xbox 360 has enough titles full of gore, violence, and sex.

That's my opinion on the consoles. They're more or less the same so just choose on the smaller things that you like better.

The Xbox also has access to HBO Go, so subscribers to HBO would prefer the Xbox.
I don't know about the PS3's internet browser, but I don't think IE on the 360 can view videos.

Personally, i like the xbox, but i think the real winner is the wii. It had more sales in its life than both the 360 and ps3
Btw, i think microsoft should call the next gen xbox the Next box

Quote from: BlackScorpion on November 17, 2012, 07:17:10 PM
I was playing Modern Warfare 2 the other day, and had a teammate whose score was something like 8-77.  Yes, that's eight kills to almost eighty deaths.

The Xbox also has access to HBO Go, so subscribers to HBO would prefer the Xbox.
I don't know about the PS3's internet browser, but I don't think IE on the 360 can view videos.

That's part of the minor advantages. I don't watch television and I wouldn't see myself watching tv shows on my xbox but rather on a cable box. The PS3's internet browser is really poor and largely ignored. That's something I'd use my computer for.

The PS3 however does benefit from a blu ray drive, as mentioned before. So if you like to watch your HD movies the PS3 can be a good option.

#TYBG

Quote from: aeria. on November 17, 2012, 07:28:53 PM
That's part of the minor advantages. I don't watch television and I wouldn't see myself watching tv shows on my xbox but rather on a cable box. The PS3's internet browser is really poor and largely ignored. That's something I'd use my computer for.
Consols pretending to be computers and dvd players.
Shameful

November 17, 2012, 07:35:14 PM #37 Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:37:45 PM by aeria.
Quote from: Ltin on November 17, 2012, 07:28:14 PM
Personally, i like the xbox, but i think the real winner is the wii. It had more sales in its life than both the 360 and ps3
Btw, i think microsoft should call the next gen xbox the Next box

In terms of sales, Nintendo wins without a doubt for being capable of appealing to a more profitable audience: the causal gamer who wants to play party and mario games. They've sold so many wiis to moms who want to try wii fit, kids who want to play spongebob and mario, and non-gamers who want to try out some cheap party games.

The problem with these gamers is that they don't buy a lot of games. Games sales on the wii are at the bottom of the list and the core gamers like most of us usually don't play on the wii and therefore don't buy games on the system. Metroid M didn't get good sales because its audience has largely moved to the xbox/ps3. Black Ops II on the other hand had an opening with $500 million dollars of revenue. That beats EVERY entertainment franchise. No movie, book, or game has made that much money at launch.

-------------------------

It's fun to talk video game business politics. ^_^

#TYBG

I've made my decision..........(dramatic pause)........ ill be getting...... PS3!!
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Good Choice! Congrats on the purchase or soon to be. I'd look seriously about now with all the cyber sales if it isn't too late

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

:cheer: ! Just make sure when you get it add THE_WolF_BR  :tu:

Quote from: aeria. on November 17, 2012, 07:28:53 PM
The PS3 however does benefit from a blu ray drive, as mentioned before. So if you like to watch your HD movies the PS3 can be a good option.
Not to mention due to the Blue-ray capacity, you can fit games like Final Fantasy XIII on a single disk compared to the Xbox which uses three.

Quote from: Roxas on November 27, 2012, 08:51:52 PM
Not to mention due to the Blue-ray capacity, you can fit games like Final Fantasy XIII on a single disk compared to the Xbox which uses three.

The xbox 360 has a dvd drive and their DVDs are limited to ~8.6 GB of space. Final Fantasy had so much content it needed 3 dvds. Star Wars Battlefront was ~2.5 GB if I'm not mistaken.

While blu ray holds more, it has significantly slower read speeds. The slower read speeds translates to excessively long load times. For some games it's so much of an issue that the game requires a mandatory install to the HDD just to bring the load times at a tolerable level. Anyone who's played Tekken 6 knows how annoying the long load times get every 5 minutes if you're playing straight from the disc.

#TYBG

Months after selling my original Xbox1 system and games, I bought an Xbox360 (years ago) when they were fairly new, and mine was dead, so I returned it and got a used PS2, and picked up used copies of SWBF1 & 2 along with NFL 2k series and NCAA 2k3, all to next for nothing.

The only games I really have/had an interest in these new generation consoles are SWBF and Football 2k series, so PS2 was fine for me. 

I think PS3 is a good choice, Bluray, even if it is slower than DVD, holds much more than a single DVD.