Gamespy shutting down

Started by Droideka, April 03, 2014, 08:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
They doin' WWWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA DP? So when they finish and they did it right, they can play BF2 and RC online?
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

It's a shame this is happening but on a positive note, thousands of players will now be looking for a solution so we might get (if we're really lucky) get a replacement for all games.

[spoiler]And at least other games get a warning before the shutdown...[/spoiler]
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

April 04, 2014, 10:44:50 AM #17 Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:46:44 AM by Droideka
If anybody wants to organize a Day of SWBF2, similar to what we did a few years ago with the Day of SWBF, and send out SWBF2 Multiplayer with a bang, I would be happy to join up.

Even though I never really liked SWBF2 multiplayer as much as SWBF1's, I still have a lot of great memories playing Jedi hero assault, playing many of the great mods for the game, and screwing around with clanmates. I even met one of my online friends that I still talk to this day with, because of a mod server I played around on.

It's been good SWBF2. Hopefully there are more multiplayer options with you than there were with SWBF1  :cheers:

Edit: Something just occurred to me. SWBF2's multiplayer runs off of Gamespy, but it is a game supported by steam. Is there any chance of it becoming a steamworks game, or is the Gamespy multiplayer intrinsically connected to the coding of the game?
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

Quote from: Droideka on April 04, 2014, 10:44:50 AM

Edit: Something just occurred to me. SWBF2's multiplayer runs off of Gamespy, but it is a game supported by steam. Is there any chance of it becoming a steamworks game, or is the Gamespy multiplayer intrinsically connected to the coding of the game?

It is hard coded to look for the GS masterserver, but they could transfer the domain name to someone else if they were so inclined.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Well at least there's hope with Steam, would they allow something like that?

Quote from: BoMbeR on April 04, 2014, 07:34:52 AM
Well I am also on the might not work via direct connect IP end, but a lot of the RC players keep saying it will so I'm just agreeing with them, if it doesn't oh well.

Don't just agree with them, ask: how do they know?

If DC for RC will not be affected, then absolutely nothing is lost. The public servers have been terrible for years, because instagib. All good games happen on private DCs.

(I warned the RC community that they were next immediately after SWBF shut down, and they ignored it, imagine if SWBF had over a year to prepare for the shutdown).

Quote from: Joseph on April 04, 2014, 06:31:49 PM
Don't just agree with them, ask: how do they know?

If DC for RC will not be affected, then absolutely nothing is lost. The public servers have been terrible for years, because instagib. All good games happen on private DCs.

(I warned the RC community that they were next immediately after SWBF shut down, and they ignored it, imagine if SWBF had over a year to prepare for the shutdown).

Also know that DC's died for SWBF too since they connected to the master server.  This might be the case for RC too.

Quote from: Led on April 04, 2014, 07:36:21 PM
Also know that DC's died for SWBF too since they connected to the master server.  This might be the case for RC too.

I asked some people about direct connect and they're basically going off this post.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/03/gamespy-multiplayer-shutting-down-hundreds-of-games-at-risk

close to the bottom it says "That said, direct IP connection to servers should work even after Gamespy services are no longer available."

Wusi best ever Swbf2
http://i.imgur.com/2jizSKw.jpg

Wusi rq
http://i.imgur.com/KESelEN.jpg

Birdo best ever Swbf2

Long live -SR- greatest Swbf2 clan!

Quote from: BoMbeR on April 05, 2014, 07:26:03 AM

I asked some people about direct connect and they're basically going off this post.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/03/gamespy-multiplayer-shutting-down-hundreds-of-games-at-risk

close to the bottom it says "That said, direct IP connection to servers should work even after Gamespy services are no longer available."

But that is only for a specific publisher.  Since DC's didn't work for SWBF, I would give a 90% chance they won't work for SWBF2.

I always thought DC's would be the answer too, but nope.

So the testing lineup, ordered from most likely effective to not, is Steam, The makeshift OpenSpy that's a WIP, OpenSpy, and last and also least DC (Correct me if I'm wrong, these just seems to be the circulating ideas on the topic)

Quote from: Led on April 05, 2014, 07:46:27 AM
But that is only for a specific publisher.  Since DC's didn't work for SWBF, I would give a 90% chance they won't work for SWBF2.

I always thought DC's would be the answer too, but nope.

I wasn't talking about SWBF2, I was talking about RC since it has a DC. SWBF2 doesn't. But I guess we will just have to see.
Wusi best ever Swbf2
http://i.imgur.com/2jizSKw.jpg

Wusi rq
http://i.imgur.com/KESelEN.jpg

Birdo best ever Swbf2

Long live -SR- greatest Swbf2 clan!

Quote from: SleepKiller on April 03, 2014, 09:56:33 PM
a sense of decency
Sorry but I think decency took the train out of gaming companies, years ago.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Whisper on April 05, 2014, 07:24:06 PM
Sorry but I think decency took the train out of gaming companies, years ago.
Read my post properly. I never tried to assert that they had one, I said if. I also went on to say that I didn't think it was going to happen, I only think that it would be the right thing to do.

You are also truly misinformed if you think all companies are without a sense of decency.

Quote from: BoMbeR on April 05, 2014, 08:29:05 AM
I wasn't talking about SWBF2, I was talking about RC since it has a DC. SWBF2 doesn't. But I guess we will just have to see.
I'm thinking there is a pretty good chance they'll cease to work after the shutdown. The problem possibly lies in the CD authentication that SWBF used with GameSpy. Well, would you look at what other LucasArts game from around that time that uses GameSpy's CD authentication it's Star Wars Republic Commando! If it is the lack of a CD authentication server that stopped SWBF from working with DC's then you should start preparing a backup solution.

That is of course only one of the Gamespt services these games used, there are all sorts of things that could have caused DCs to stop working in SWBF and you shouldn't just assume that DCs for SWRC will be safe. Especially off a IGN article.

Quote from: SleepKiller on April 05, 2014, 09:05:10 PM
Read my post properly. I never tried to assert that they had one, I said if. I also went on to say that I didn't think it was going to happen, I only think that it would be the right thing to do.

You are also truly misinformed if you think all companies are without a sense of decency.
solution.
I was joking around SK.  :P
I know a great share of these companies still have the decency. I just always seem to get involved in the ones without it. lol
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper