Next Gen?

Started by Yoda, January 02, 2014, 11:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Just curious if anyone was an early adopter of a next generation console.

If so, I would love to game or talk about the merits (or flaws) that you have experienced with the systems.

And for the love of god, please don't troll.  ;)

Originally joined SWBFMac.com in 2006. You'll see me around from time to time.

I was going to get a PS4 on release but they sold out everywhere about a month before the release date (I couldn't be bothered to pre-order and then go back to pick it up, I don't live near the shops. :) ).
Now I want to get one but don't see the point until any good games come out. If Watch Dogs wasn't delayed I would have a PS4. :) It would be nice to see what new games people recommend.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

PC Master Race.  I've been next gen before all ya'll.

In all seriousness I'm getting the console where fighting games are stronger in. If the community largely plays on one console over the other, it will sway my vote. Fighting games is the only reason why I would buy a console at this point. It's not as big of a community like Call of Duty where in every console it is highly populated.

Every other genre I'd stick with my PC for. Most of my friends transitioned to PC anyway. My PS3 and 360 are collecting dust.

#TYBG

I completely understand! I pre-ordered a PS4 through Target (only place that still had them available at Labor Day).

I have mixed feelings regarding it right now as there are just too many little issues that spoil some of the great features, or every day use of the console.

That said, the future looks bright for the games! I can't wait for WatchDogs and having about 90% completion in AC:IV, I'm excited at the possibility for some crossover since it looks like they exist in the same universe.

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on January 02, 2014, 11:29:17 AM
Now I want to get one but don't see the point until any good games come out. If Watch Dogs wasn't delayed I would have a PS4. :) It would be nice to see what new games people recommend.

I completely understand that sentiment. One of my good gaming buddies and I are really stuck playing Killzone: Shadow Fall all the time because of all the issues that Battlefield 4 has, and there aren't any other games that aren't sports and racing out yet. Though, I'm really excited for the PS4 release of last year's Tomb Raider. I played it on PS3 and loved it and am more than willing to buy it again to play it (with all the DLC) on the new console later this month.

Wii U all the way. No I'm serious think about it. If you're a PC gamer (Like myself.) you're not going to be looking to drop large amounts of cash on a console, the Wii U is cheap compared to the other consoles.

The exclusives are much better and more plentiful than any of the other consoles. What games are there on the PS4 and Xbox One that you couldn't play on your PC? Not many, and how many of the exclusives do you really want to play. Again not many. The Wii U on the other hand has plenty of fine exclusive already in existence and more on the way.

Screw Kinect, Screw Whatever-Sony's-Gimmick-Is, the gamepad is where it is at. Until you've played Nintendo Land with a group of friends you have yet to see the full functionality of it be revealed. Man is it amazing and fun.

I completely understand that coming from a PC gamer. Unfortunately, as my job has shifted to being a work from home sales position, I spend 10-12 hours a day on my PC and thus have no desire to game on it.

That said, I happen to disagree with the argument about the exclusives. Many of the PS3 exclusives were phenomenal, and some of those announced coming out this year for the PS4 look to be just as good. The same can be said of many of the exclusives coming for the Xbox One.

While I agree with the gimmicky nature of some new features (the Kinect and Playstation voice commands), both of those are features that will become just as useful as the gamepad over time (if I recall, the gamepad seemed awful gimmicky when the Wii U was released as well).

You do realise Nintendo Land (The game were the Gamepad really shines.) was a launch game right? The Gamepad is not gimmicky it is a useful peace of tech. I get real tired of people who've never used the Wii U calling it a bad system and a flop. It's a great system with great potential. It's also by far the best one for social gaming.  Not any of that online crap, real social gaming. Everyone in the same room playing on the same TV.

And yes Sony does have some really, really great exclusives on the PS3; hence why I own one and not an Xbox 360. Arguably the best singleplayer ones, but when it comes to multiplayer games Nintendo owns simply because they bother to continue to support split-screen. (And their games are these amazing things of so much fun.)

January 03, 2014, 02:44:15 PM #7 Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:49:23 PM by BlackScorpion
Quote from: SleepKiller on January 03, 2014, 02:23:50 PM
You do realise Nintendo Land (The game were the Gamepad really shines.) was a launch game right? The Gamepad is not gimmicky it is a useful peace of tech. I get real tired of people who've never used the Wii U calling it a bad system and a flop. It's a great system with great potential. It's also by far the best one for social gaming.  Not any of that online crap, real social gaming. Everyone in the same room playing on the same TV.

And yes Sony does have some really, really great exclusives on the PS3; hence why I own one and not an Xbox 360. Arguably the best singleplayer ones, but when it comes to multiplayer games Nintendo owns simply because they bother to continue to support split-screen. (And their games are these amazing things of so much fun.)

But... "flop" generally means that something didn't live up to expectations.  It doesn't necessarily mean something is bad and it certainly doesn't mean that it's worthless as I infer from your post.  The thing is, I have this feeling that many of the people who call the Wii U a "bad system"--maybe even most--don't mean it as an empirical statement; instead, I think they mean "the Wii U is not a good console for me as a consumer" either because the Wii U does not appeal to them or because alternatives appeal to them more.

But, with regards to your observation in distinguishing the Wii U's gamepad from new features on the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4, I see a problem.  If the factor distinguishing the Wii U from the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 is that the Wii U has launch games and the Xbox One and PS4 don't...

Well, given the factor you've identified as being is important is launch games, then a (but not necessarily the only) general test for determining if a feature is a gimmick is whether than feature has launch capabilities.  This seems like a silly general test.  Especially for a product ostensibly designed to last a decade.

If I may offer my two cents. First I will talk about the consoles then I shall comment about the Wii U.

The Xbox One and PS4 both suck. Why? For one, like the last consoles, they focus too much on non gaming. Another, they are overpriced. If I am going to pay say 550 dollars for an Xbox One, I am going to need some games, right? So, say I buy Forza 5, NFS Rivals, pre-order Project CARS, and pre-order The Next Car Game, the games should cost about, 230$ish. That brings the total to 780$. Oh I forgot something, Xbox Live. 60$ Bucks a year, 4.5 years is 270$. That means you may end up paying more then a grand. Why not just buy a gaming computer? I am not saying the Xbox and PS4 developers did a bad job, but it's the greedy gaming companies like Turn Ten.

The Wii U. Best console for the money, but not the best console. Way, way better then Wii. The exclusive games are questionable, Mario, not Uncharted. Mario Kart, not Forza. They are completely different games. Nintendo goes for more casual games, which are fine, but not for everyone. Nintendo consoles are great for big families, they have such good split screen multiplayer. But if you have cash, not many family member, buy a different console.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Ive played both, for several hours. Why? I HAD both, i played Xbox One First, now i thought this was the Ultimate Gaming system, Because of the Graphics, Game Quality, and ofcourse the layout. With the PS4, however... I liked it, but it just couldn't compare to the Xbox One. Why? It didn't live up to the standards Xbox One had put up. They are both great systems. I would recommend both to a friend. However, Xbox One would be the gaming console to get if you want the ultimate gaming system. Only downside to both, is their price range is $500-$600.
Proud [Freelancer Consortium] Member! [FC]Leader.Helios

Quote from: BlackScorpion on January 03, 2014, 02:44:15 PM
But... "flop" generally means that something didn't live up to expectations.  It doesn't necessarily mean something is bad and it certainly doesn't mean that it's worthless as I infer from your post.  The thing is, I have this feeling that many of the people who call the Wii U a "bad system"--maybe even most--don't mean it as an empirical statement; instead, I think they mean "the Wii U is not a good console for me as a consumer" either because the Wii U does not appeal to them or because alternatives appeal to them more.

But, with regards to your observation in distinguishing the Wii U's gamepad from new features on the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4, I see a problem.  If the factor distinguishing the Wii U from the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 is that the Wii U has launch games and the Xbox One and PS4 don't...

Well, given the factor you've identified as being is important is launch games, then a (but not necessarily the only) general test for determining if a feature is a gimmick is whether than feature has launch capabilities.  This seems like a silly general test.  Especially for a product ostensibly designed to last a decade.
All I said was Nintendo Land was a good example of why the gamepad is not gimmicky. Not that the had Wii U has better or worse launch line up than the Xbox One or PS4. Arguably they're about the same.

The Wii U does currently have a better line up though. simply because it has been around longer.

I myself do not own anything that is currently "next-gen", however I do have an old Wii still kickin' about. ;)

Personally, I hate that I got the Wii only 2-3 years before the Wii U was made. Much better games for it, and many awesome exclusives as well. In any case, I still sort of like my own Wii, only because it's one of the few that has a replayability value in it. On the top it has controller ports, and memory card slots. I would play it more often, however I lost my memory card a while back, along with 99% completion of Lego Star Wars II. :(

Overall, I could care less for the consoles. I haven't touched my Wii in probably over a year, so I'm probably with the PC crowd (even though my laptop is complete crap :P).

January 03, 2014, 11:54:00 PM #12 Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:39:35 AM by Buckler
I have a [edit by buckler] strong liking for proper anti-aliasing and proper HD resolutions. It's a shame, too. I honestly don't care about the gamepad either. It's a well built device but I spend a majority of my time looking a screen and I have zero problems accessing menus through the game. I've managed to use the Wii U in college, oddly enough. While it does have Tekken, the game has serious framerate problems which becomes the deal breaker (Not to mention I can't use my arcade stick with it). I'm not too crazy about the Mario and Smash franchises either.

So yeah I have no intentions getting a Wii U as there's nothing in it for me. Maybe not until a new 3D zelda comes out. I already played Wind Waker 10 years ago.

#TYBG

Quote from: aeria. on January 03, 2014, 11:54:00 PM
I have a hard on for proper anti-aliasing and proper HD resolutions. It's a shame, too. I honestly don't care about the gamepad either. It's a well built device but I spend a majority of my time looking a screen and I have zero problems accessing menus through the game. I've managed to use the Wii U in college, oddly enough. While it does have Tekken, the game has serious framerate problems which becomes the deal breaker (Not to mention I can't use my arcade stick with it). I'm not too crazy about the Mario and Smash franchises either.

So yeah I have no intentions getting a Wii U as there's nothing in it for me. Maybe not until a new 3D zelda comes out. I already played Wind Waker 10 years ago.
Have you played Nintendo Land with a group of people? As I said that is the best example of it. I don't really care about having a second screen in most games either, but it really shines in Nintendo Land and shows you what it is capable of.

Here's a list of games for 2014. There's a lot of good sounding games I think. :)
http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/03/gamecentral-video-games-preview-of-2014-from-titanfall-to-destiny-4241700/
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)