SWBF Windows 8 problem

Started by Gold Man, September 09, 2014, 06:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys,

So my new laptop has Windows 8.1, and unfortunately I cannot seem to install SWBF on it. I installed SWBFII with no problems, but whenever I go to run the exe from the disc, the install screen doesn't show up.

I know someone on here had a similar problem I think, though the search feature doesn't let me search "Windows 8", and I don't want to hunt through hundreds of threads to find it.

Anyone care to help me out? Or does this mean Windows 8.1 won't run SWBF for me? :(

Have you tried to install under a previous version of windows?  (compatibility tab)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I have installed the SWBF disc on XP, and Vista in the past.

I have not tried to install under a previous version on my laptop though, if that's what you mean. I'm still pretty new to Windows 8, so I don't quite know how to get to that yet.

Right click on the file that starts the installer, and look at properties, compatibility tab (that was what I meant  ;)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on September 09, 2014, 07:13:09 PM
Right click on the file that starts the installer, and look at properties, compatibility tab (that was what I meant  ;)

Ah, I see. Yes, that helped, it's installing now. Will report back if I have any further issues.

Thanks!

Ok, so now suddenly after running the GameMaster exe, Norton Antivirus decided it was a high-risk program and terminated the program. Unfortunately, prior to this I deleted the original exe (stupid mistake, I know). So, I tried to reinstall the game again, only now SWBFII won't even open at all! I've run in in near every compatibility mode, and it still won't work! I get to the menu to Start Game, and then the game doesn't load up ever!

I'm about to reinstall the game. Any recommendations as to a fix for this?

September 22, 2014, 10:37:30 AM #6 Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:39:25 AM by Ultimo
Quote from: Gold Man on September 22, 2014, 10:08:08 AM
Ok, so now suddenly after running the GameMaster exe, Norton Antivirus decided it was a high-risk program and terminated the program. Unfortunately, prior to this I deleted the original exe (stupid mistake, I know). So, I tried to reinstall the game again, only now SWBFII won't even open at all! I've run in in near every compatibility mode, and it still won't work! I get to the menu to Start Game, and then the game doesn't load up ever!

I'm about to reinstall the game. Any recommendations as to a fix for this?
Yes. Uninstall the game before you re-install it. I wouldn't be surpirsed if the re-install just detected the folders and thought it had already loaded everything in.
Make sure to store all your mods seperately before that though.

Once installed, make sure you've made the changes to the Sound Record/Mix that is for some reason usually turned off on Windows PC's. It was off on mine.
Control Panel > Sound > Devices > (View Disabled) Sound Record or Mix (I think that's a decent directory)

I had a similar problem before and had to make sure I did at least my first step over again.

I hope that fixes your issue... It did for me
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Apparently the uninstall/reinstall trick worked. Somehow the exe is functioning again (not the GameMaster patch though, I'l try that later).

In any case, my game is hard-copy, not Steam. So really, I don't need the sound bug fix. Thanks for the notice though, Ultimo!

Strange... I own the hard copy and I had to fix the sound thing...
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I own a hard copy of it as well, and I have never had to fix any sound problem. It runs straight out of the box.

I am running 8 currently, not 8.1.
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

When I got my copy, it began running through the menu, but there is a different sound method that is used in the maps and is normally turned off on certain PC's.
I had to enable this method/device on the PC I owned to play it.

It's strange, and I don't know why it would be disabled, or why the game would require a different method in the first place.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper