What Games/Places We Can Use Assets From and What We Can't

Started by Giftheck, July 16, 2017, 01:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 16, 2017, 01:18:00 PM Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 02:44:51 PM by Giftheck
As some of you know, Disney's EULA revisions to certain games allows for us to use those games and the assets to create user-created content. What appears to be confusing a couple of people is what we can or can't use.

Thanks to Gogie on GameToast for sorting through it all and giving us a definitive answer.

These are the games and places that carry Disney's revised EULA. Thus, we can use content from them in mods:

[spoiler]Starwars.com
disney.com (and most affiliated sites)
Pinball FX2 - Star Wars Pinball / all content variants
Lego Star Wars III - The Clone Wars
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II
Star Wars rebellion
Star Wars Battlefront II
Star Wars Empire at War - Gold Pack
Lego Starwars The Complete Saga
Star Wars Republic Commando
Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga
Star Wars Dark Forces
Star Wars jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast
Lego Starwars: The Force Awakens
Star Wars - Xwing Alliance
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars Tie Fighter Special Edition
Star Wars the Force Unleashed
Star Wars the Force Unleashed 2
Star Wars xwing vs Tie Fighter
Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D
Star Wars Rebel Assault I + II
Star Wars Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars Starfighter
Star Wars xwing Special Edition
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Star Wars Commander
Star Wars: Rivals
Star Wars Jedi Challenges[/spoiler]

That's a lot of stuff. However, there are obviously games that do not carry Disney's EULA, and as such we are technically not allowed to use content from them. They are as follows:

[spoiler]Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Republic Heroes
Star Wars: Battlefront 2015 (EA)
Star Wars: Battlefront II 2017 (EA)
Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (EA)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
Star Wars: The Old Republic
[/spoiler]

I must stress that we should not use EA things unless there is truly absolutely no alternative. In particular, the models of the SWBF games themselves have no practical use due to their extremely high poly counts. Most of what's there has already got a community equivalent or is available in another game listed.

The following games did not have the Disney EULA but are now defunct as they have shut down:

[spoiler]Star Wars: Force Arena
Star Wars: Galaxies
Star Wars: Uprising[/spoiler]

It is, of course, at the discretion of the admins of this site as to what to allow. Any content ripped from EA's games is likely prohibited outright, for instance, but I can't see SWBFGamers being shut down over an asset or two from Star Wars Galaxies (a dead MMORPG). Of course, this is not my call to make, but if you stick pretty close to the list, you should be okay as far as content from other games goes.

If a mod wants to make this a sticky, copy this thread to the other Mod subforums, or to link to it in the rules, that would be great.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

It's good to know what Disney is willing to let modders use. However, was there ever a case where a Battlefront mod was removed from anywhere due to copyright? Do big companies like Disney go after small map makers? Or is it just that they COULD go after them?

what about lego star was 1&2?
and lego star wars the compleat saga

I have all of these and want to use there assets some time.
"a tool is a tool, it isn't inherently evil or good." -Sleep killer

That gives some nice finality to those old arguments I remember about JK assets.

Quote from: Linux user Awesome on July 17, 2017, 05:53:37 AM
what about lego star was 1&2?
and lego star wars the compleat saga

I have all of these and want to use there assets some time.

The Complete Saga is on the list of games that you are allowed to use assets to create mods from, but the other two don't seem to be on either list. So those games might not even come under Disney's EULA.
The years just fly past, don't they?

I thought anything star wars was technically fair game (or at least it used to be)?
Is this not the case or has it never been the case?

Ideas and inspiration? Yes. But you could not use assets from those games prior to the EULA update.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

Quote from: Gistech on July 17, 2017, 11:11:42 AM
Ideas and inspiration? Yes. But you could not use assets from those games prior to the EULA update.
Interesting.
I stand corrected.

Quote from: swgaming1015 on July 17, 2017, 05:44:12 AM
It's good to know what Disney is willing to let modders use. However, was there ever a case where a Battlefront mod was removed from anywhere due to copyright? Do big companies like Disney go after small map makers? Or is it just that they COULD go after them?

Well, you can make you own website, host them, and find out  ;)

But for us, we will not take the risk.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: swgaming1015 on July 17, 2017, 05:44:12 AM

Disney owns the Star Wars IP. They can pull the plug on our modding at any time they wish. So long as we do not do something stupid with the IP (like actively trying to compete with EA's games) Disney are not likely to excercise that right.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: Gistech on July 17, 2017, 02:39:56 PM
Disney owns the Star Wars IP. They can pull the plug on our modding at any time they wish. So long as we do not do something stupid with the IP (like actively trying to compete with EA's games) Disney are not likely to excercise that right.

What about people trying to mod SWBFEA?
The years just fly past, don't they?

Quote from: Nyx on July 17, 2017, 03:42:52 PM
What about people trying to mod SWBFEA?

Not allowed according to the EULA.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Nyx on July 17, 2017, 06:56:24 AM
The Complete Saga is on the list of games that you are allowed to use assets to create mods from, but the other two don't seem to be on either list. So those games might not even come under Disney's EULA.

well I am pretty shure the most the assets from The Complete Saga are just worked over assets from the first 2 lego star wars games anyway.
so I will just use the Complete Saga's assets if I ever get around to it.

thanks  :cheers:

"a tool is a tool, it isn't inherently evil or good." -Sleep killer

This is some very nice information. Thanks Gistech, and please give some to Gogie for me! :cheers:
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Added a small bit about defunct games. Force Arena was originally on the list of 'do not use' but i seems the rule has relaxed somewhat since the game shut down.
In Progress:

On Hold: