On the 'lifetime' of Debris/Wreckage

Started by Satellite, February 26, 2009, 01:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Dear modders,

I have 2 questions pertaining to debris and/or wreckage. Any assistance which you may offer is greatly appreciated.

1. Where may I find the parameters which determine the 'lifetime' of a piece of wreckage?

2. Would it be possible to make wreckage a permenant feature of a map?

3. Would it be possible to spawn wreckage from a destroyed building? And if so, how may I implement it?

Thank you for your time.
"I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I'd planned. It would continue falling into that starry expanse, of which I had only a fleeting glimpse..."

to clarify: by wreckage you mean whats left after a vehicle explodes? or the random bits and bobs normally lying around?

[Regular odf name]_exp.odf

Should see a LifeSpan command, but that only counts for the explosion. Not sure if it affects wreckage

2: Wreckage can't be permanent, and it also isn't a solid

3: Not sure if this will work, but take the ODF of a destroyable CP, put it in a DestroyedGeometryName command in. I'll get back to you on this

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

The_Pi: I remember colliding with a piece of wreckage once, and as a result, my vehicle suffered damage, so I believe the wreckage is solid.

Interestingly, the animatedbuilding class has a destroyedgeometryname property. The Armedbuilding class also has the destroyedgeometryname, chunkgeometryname and other properties associated with chunks(debris). I also found these properties:
StickBuildingDead
StickBuildingUnbuilt

Under the bullet class. Commandarmedanimatedbuilding class also has the DeathAnimation poperty. There is also a destructablebuilding class. All this is from the odf guide.

Also, would it be possible to spawn a prop with the geometry of a piece of wreckage upon the destruction of a vehicle?
"I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I'd planned. It would continue falling into that starry expanse, of which I had only a fleeting glimpse..."

all props must be predefined in ZeroEditor. LUA events weren't done until SWBF2, so the map must be static. Also, destroyedgeometryname only refers to what is left behind after being destroyed, basically it is swapped with the main geometry upon destruction. Most turrets should have one of these. Also, any object can be a command post as long as the ODF defines it correctly. However, a turret can't be a command post because it is already defined as a turret type object and it can't be multiple things.

So, the spawn a prop with that geometry would be DestroyedGeometryName, however it can still be rebuilt via FusionCutter. I know of no way to stop a fusion cutter from fixing something.

DeathAnimation is what animation to be done upon destruction, but all animations were pre-made by LucasArts and the only way to create a new animation is to make it with XSI.

I wasn't going to make a destructable command post; I intended to make a neutral building that collapses onto itself when destroyed. One more question: can animations be created in the XSI Mod Tool then exported using the Pandemic MSH Exporter?

the pandemic exporter is incompatible with the xsi modtools,

and if you are making a building that doesnt fade away when destroyed, that should be okay, but if you are doing it with vehicles, it could overload/ make the game really laggy if enough vehicles are desrtoyed

Quote from: "MileHighGuy"the pandemic exporter is incompatible with the xsi modtools,

and if you are making a building that doesnt fade away when destroyed, that should be okay, but if you are doing it with vehicles, it could overload/ make the game really laggy if enough vehicles are desrtoyed

The laggy part is probably because you don't set up the memory for the remaining debris in the map. Adding some overhead in the memorypool section might clear this up