Recovering special classes from the Battlefront 1 PS2 demo

Started by AnthonyBF2, October 13, 2019, 07:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Has anyone ever paid attention to the 2004 Battlefront rear cover?

PC:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Xbox:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

PS2:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

All three covers depict a red clone with a blaster rifle and what might be a jetpack attached to him, or at least some sort of prop like the rebel soldier has.

I also don't recognize top left screen on the Xbox cover, this might just be the regular Dune Sea map with different terrain textures but I'm not familiar with Xbox version or the Dune Sea map enough to confirm that.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

Yeah, I noticed that on the back cover of both my PC copy and my former PS2 copy. I also noticed, when SWBF Files was still up, that there were screenshots of a clone trooper with black markings that appeared to be in a sniper role.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

I remember there used to be a version of the Battlefront 2 conversion mod that added a section to the game talking about cut content. Among the things I recall were:

The Naboo: Theed City and Geonosis maps being completely different. Theed had a different floor texture and the grate in front of the palace wasn't there. Geonosis had a core ship prop in the background and possibly the SPHAT would have been around. It was also more of an open plain, a bit like the EA Battlefront 2 version. If you look at the preview vids for both levels in the game, they show the original versions of these maps. Kamino also might have had vehicles and might have been bigger.

Command posts were different, and your team's command post would glow blue like in BF2.

It seems like the clones' colors weren't nailed down, as you had clone snipers with black markings, a blue jet trooper with the infantry class' gun and a sniper rifle in the trailers, and the aforementioned red jet trooper on the back of the box.

The rebel pilot had white gloves and boots. The Bothan, imp officer, red arc trooper, and an IG-88 type droid were cut or replaced with different models. There was an unused bazooka model that might have belonged to the Rebels.

The rebels had their own version of the speeder bike (which could hold 2 people) and different hover-tank than what they got. Both were featured on the official Battlefront 1 website. They would have also gotten the K-Wing.

The AT-ST in early screenshots, trailers, and demos looks a lot more crude than in the final version. They almost look like the version that appeared in The Empire Strike Back.

I recall the Battlefront 1 website also mentioned an "Episode III" planet being in the game, but no planet from Episode III (Cato Nemodia, Felucia, Mustafar, Mygeeto, or Utapau) ever appear. It's would not have been Kashyyyk, as Kashyyyk was confirmed early on alongside the "Episode III" planet.

There might have been stuff from Pandemic's The Clone Wars video game that would have been transferred to Battlefront (like the Separatist GAT and Republic AT-XT), as I believe both games used the same engine. I not so sure this is true, though.

There is this Battlefront wiki page which shows some of the cut content I've mentioned:

https://battlefront.fandom.com/wiki/Cut_Content

There's also this old youtube video from a guy who has both the Xbox and PS2 demos of BF 1:

Here's a brainstorming posted to psych0fred's website over the past few days of what the five-class system could have been:

http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/downloads/BF1/Misc/BF1UnitBalanceBrainstorming2004.jpg

This isn't far removed from what they had in the final game so I would wager this was after they decided to drop the sixth claxss. Seems even once the Officer was removed, they kept the Rebel Spy in the Scout role instead.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

October 20, 2019, 06:53:11 AM #19 Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:03:28 AM by AnthonyBF2
More evidence:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sadly, the demo does not contain REP.LVL or CIS.LVL, it would be awesome if someone still had those files and coughed them up.

Update: I've prepared a mod for the official version that includes the officer and the spy.
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=13673.0

Quote from: Giftheck on October 19, 2019, 11:57:52 PM
Here's a brainstorming posted to psych0fred's website over the past few days of what the five-class system could have been:

http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/downloads/BF1/Misc/BF1UnitBalanceBrainstorming2004.jpg

This isn't far removed from what they had in the final game so I would wager this was after they decided to drop the sixth claxss. Seems even once the Officer was removed, they kept the Rebel Spy in the Scout role instead.

That might explain why the Rebel Sniper had a disguise kit in the PS2 demo.

Psyc0fred's image corroborates my understanding that the Officer was dropped around May and that the health and ammo dispensers weren't moved to the Pilot until afterwards. Nice!

The clone commander and tactical droid assets still exist in the builders.
Looks like clone commander is still intact somewhat, but the tac droid is just a msh and tga (cis_inf_ig88).
Keep in mind that Pandemic was extremely generous and did throw a bunch of their cut content in the mod tools (there's a solid chance it also exists in the stock .lvl files as well).
Just want to tell people that there are many threads on here and gametoast discussing cut content:
Gametoast: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18192
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=2936.msg31231#msg31231
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=7793.msg84024#msg84024

I'm not killing discussion (I love cut content discussions), but much of this has been discussed before.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

The thought's just occured to me that perhaps the stock LVL files contain ODFs for some of the missing content. IIRC, the stock Hoth LUA calls on imp_droid_probe, which is absolutely nowhere to be found in the mod tools but must exist in the stock LVL files for the map to load without crashing.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: Giftheck on October 21, 2019, 02:57:18 PM
The thought's just occured to me that perhaps the stock LVL files contain ODFs for some of the missing content. IIRC, the stock Hoth LUA calls on imp_droid_probe, which is absolutely nowhere to be found in the mod tools but must exist in the stock LVL files for the map to load without crashing.

The Imperial probe droid already exist in the BFBuilder assets and should be fully working, (it roams around and shoots at rebels until it dies), but it's not in the game because something in the Hoth map isn't setup to make it spawn.

I think R2-D2 also exists and does the same thing, minus any weapons, it just roams around.

Quote from: AnthonyBF2 on October 21, 2019, 04:02:51 PM
The Imperial probe droid already exist in the BFBuilder assets and should be fully working, (it roams around and shoots at rebels until it dies), but it's not in the game because something in the Hoth map isn't setup to make it spawn.

I think R2-D2 also exists and does the same thing, minus any weapons, it just roams around.

R2-D2 is present (armed with a fusion cutter) but the probe droid ODF isn't present in the assets folder at all, though psych0fred did include it in his Chain Isle map. That's why, if you were to import the stock IMP side from the assets, munge it and then try to load Hoth: Echo Base, it crashes: the LUA calls for it even though it doesn't use it (perhaps left in by mistake). Many a modder has been caught out by Hoth when modifying the stock sides.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: Giftheck on October 21, 2019, 11:14:38 PM
R2-D2 is present (armed with a fusion cutter) but the probe droid ODF isn't present in the assets folder at all, though psych0fred did include it in his Chain Isle map. That's why, if you were to import the stock IMP side from the assets, munge it and then try to load Hoth: Echo Base, it crashes: the LUA calls for it even though it doesn't use it (perhaps left in by mistake). Many a modder has been caught out by Hoth when modifying the stock sides.

Lmao, I tried to munge new sides for BF1 on PS2 and they worked on every map except Hoth, thanks for confirming the problem.

I do believe the demo IMP.lvl includes the probe droid and I will see about pulling it into the next mod release I do for the official game version.

I think there is a set of side builders with the probe droid included for exactly this problem, which does occur on PC.  However, I don't remember which one.  However, what Gistech says will work - you could probably unmunge the stock sides for PC as well and get the same result.  I'd be interested if the demo one is any different.

The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.