will my mac melt?

Started by Soap Mactavish, June 21, 2010, 01:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
hey, i have been playing games on my boot camp for a while and i am extremely happy with the selection on steam. the only downside i have found is that my mac gets extremely hot, a temperature that i dont experience on steam for mac. Should i be worried about a possible side effect to this heat? ill buy a cooling mat if it is needed. 

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Unless your computer is made of potassium or something, your computer won't melt. Macs run at an abnormally higher temperatures than more computers, however they were also designed to auto-shutdown in case of it being too hot. It happened to me once during the summer but that was on a really rare occasion, you'll be fine for now.

#TYBG

lol i didnt mean literally melt. what i mean is will the high heat cause any repercussions to the internal components (possibly battery life)? I assume that the auto-shutdown function is a system-wide setting (works on both partitions)?

Buy a cooling mat. If its a laptop, you dont want to burn your legs with the bottom of the computer or damage whatever the laptop is on top of.

i dont usually play mw2 while the comp is on my lap :P

Well you can if you decide to try the track pad.... :P
Still, the heat could damage your table or whatever it is you but your melting mac on while you play modern warfare.

Lol, I actually got a radiation burn. It wasn't funny >:( I had a huge bubble filled with puss on my leg XD

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.

Quote from: Soap Mactavish on June 21, 2010, 02:19:27 PM
lol i didnt mean literally melt. what i mean is will the high heat cause any repercussions to the internal components (possibly battery life)? I assume that the auto-shutdown function is a system-wide setting (works on both partitions)?
um...im like...what are you talking about, system wide settings, repercussions, internal comopnents jesss anybody want to be translater of this...... this robot....

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

ag knows what I'm talking bout darth :P

Quote from: ag on June 21, 2010, 01:52:11 PM
...however they were also designed to auto-shutdown in case of it being too hot.

Most computers (or latest laptops) do that.
.:AM:. Quik <3: ag..
.:AM:. Quik <3: his avatar...
.:AM:. Quik <3: is really gay..
.:AM:. Quik <3: lol
Droideka: avatar isn't gay!
Droideka: AG is

.:AM:. Quik <3: don't worry, i like you
.:AM:. Quik <3: that's all that matters
Droideka: NOO
Droideka: i only care about BD
Droideka: that sounded gay

Well, like what I said before, Macs do run higher than normal computers. It will shut off if it knows it will be too hot to destroy itself. Is the abnormally high temperature a good thing? Of course not. Should we be seriously worried about it? Probably not.

And also like what I said before, it's not gonna melt on itself unless it's made out of potassium.

#TYBG

Aluminum Unibody here  :tu: