No-Radar Mod Map

Started by Led, December 08, 2012, 02:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi SWBFgamers,

After some discussions with people on all sides of the mini-map radar mod issue, I want to try to make a mod map of cloud city that prevents the mini-map radar mod from being used. 

The idea is that players that go into that map will be ensured that no one is using radar until the tickets drop to 20.   

We will see if we can get everyone to give it a try.

Now, I need to be able to make the mod!  Any suggestions for defeating the mod would be appreciated.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I can't mod but thank you in advance for your efforts in making it.  :D

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

Good to see this being made, hopefully now we can all play how we want without any arguments. 
Here's to the next few years of battlefront :cheers:
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I think this is a wiser and more efficient solution than banning people left and right just because someone suspects they are using radar.
;)

Plus you can label the map title itself "Cloud City: No Radar" so anyone who has the mod sees that name in the server list, and players who don't have it can't join.

Woah this should be great, will show who really can play :P

There are advantages and disadvantages to this approach.

The major disadvantage is that we risk fracturing what is left of the community, and even some people that have managed to install tunngle don't know how to install mod maps.

On the plus side, the idea will be to make everyone feel comfortable that the radar is not being used.  Both by players that don't want others to use it, and by players that don't want to be accused of using it when they are not.

Awesome.

I'm not sure how this can be done server-side.
But I don't know much about the scripting.

Pure conjecture:
I suspect each object in the game has some sort of internal ID.
If that ID could be discovered, perhaps a table of it's odf settings could be overridden.
But could the server do it? I think that would have to happen client side. (ie as part of a mod)

More conjecture:
as part of a client side mod, have the game check a crc of the side files being used. If it's different than expected, drop the connection.

December 08, 2012, 03:18:22 PM #7 Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:21:17 PM by Phobos
Quote from: Buckler on December 08, 2012, 02:53:41 PM
There are advantages and disadvantages to this approach.

The major disadvantage is that we risk fracturing what is left of the community, and even some people that have managed to install tunngle don't know how to install mod maps.

On the plus side, the idea will be to make everyone feel comfortable that the radar is not being used.  Both by players that don't want others to use it, and by players that don't want to be accused of using it when they are not.
The community is already fractured between GR and Tunngle. I think banning players who you suspect of using radar (whether or not they actually are), would probably cause more of a fracture than your other 2 options, which are not punishing/taking action against radar users, or creating the mod map which prevents it. SleepKiller could probably help with the development of said mod, as he was able to disable radar for his previous CC tournament map.

Quote from: tirpider on December 08, 2012, 03:16:48 PM
Awesome.

I'm not sure how this can be done server-side.
But I don't know much about the scripting.

Pure conjecture:
I suspect each object in the game has some sort of internal ID.
If that ID could be discovered, perhaps a table of it's odf settings could be overridden.
But could the server do it? I think that would have to happen client side. (ie as part of a mod)

More conjecture:
as part of a client side mod, have the game check a crc of the side files being used. If it's different than expected, drop the connection.

I don't think it can be just a server side mod.  It would have to be a download.

Without having access to shell commands (i.e. dos prompt) I don't think we could check the crc of the side files.

Is there anyway to pass information from client files to mission files?

(that sounds wierd..)

Conjecture:
We could make a special "unit" for the side. (one that may or may not make it to the select screen.)
When the sides get set up in the init, can we check to see if that unit is present? and if it is not present, can we drop connection from within the init without hosing up the server?

I suggest this stuff thinking that the radar thing is in the side files. I really don't know unless it's what I suspect it is.

edit:  Hey Tirpider, perhaps I can talk you into going on xfire and we can chat :P