Portal Gun

Started by skirata44, July 07, 2011, 09:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ok, so this may or may not work, but I've seen some mods that people can do, (the Spiderman one springs to mind, complete with webs) and I was wondering-would it be possible to make a portal gun, like from the game Portal? I think this could be really useful, especially on maps like Cloud City. It'd probably be pretty hard, is there anyone who could make such a weapon? Thanks!
"Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade..."
Don't mess with Mandalorians.

lol that would be cool but its impossible, only thing that could replicate an effectlike that is a grappling hook

skirata, do you mean making holes in things?   It is possible to make destructable buildings, but I think that these would have to be at predetermined locations.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Very possible. Floor can be made up with many small square models that are destructible. When you shoot the floor some one is standing on or throw a grenade then the floor will open up and you fall thru. Grenade will have to stick to floor quick, is easy, and will have just enough destruction for floor and not troops to work, very easy. It will require windows notepad and math for any one to mod. We would just have to find the correct values. If we use the cube it is a simple value any direction we place it. Do you have xfire? This mod is not a portal  but will feel like one very much. If the floor is made of several layers of destructible blocks then as you destroy a block you end up creating a maze as you even try to shoot yourself to a different place. Even making tunnels to escape your enemy.
Block model picture
the value is 8.000 to move it perfectly one space over in either direction. after all it is 8x8x8 lego. cool.

July 09, 2011, 03:14:32 PM #4 Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:17:04 PM by Unit 33
Yeah that's about as far as you can take it,
Source engine in Portal is pretty unique to that game, there have been very few instances in which the Portaling system (one hole magically leading to another regardless of distance) has been used outside Source games.
I do know that it was achieved in Vice City... but that's a very different game.

Oh, ok. I get it. Thanks guys :) I was playing cloud city late the other night, and I kept on thinking about it. In Portal, you can only put portals on white surfaces. There's a ton of those in CC. You could use them for a lot of things, I thought-sniping, moving around quickly, even leaving them like mines (you have one "hole in the ground", another on a tall building. An enemy falls through, he dies :D)
"Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade..."
Don't mess with Mandalorians.

well if you guys dont really know what he means by a portal gun, in the game portal by valve you are trapped in side a labratory and have to go through a series of "tests" which are puzzles you must solve. the portal gun, when shot at a wall allows you to wakl through that portal into another orange portal which you aquire later. basically the swbf zero engine isnt capable of anything close to this effect

One would not make SWBF exactly like the portal game. If one would want to play portal game then just play the portal game. Here at SWBF it is fun to take ideas from other games to make SWBF more fun. We promise not to take much.