ZeroEdit source? Or alternative?

Started by Idren, October 16, 2017, 02:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I wasn't sure where to really put this post - but does anyone have any clue about whether or not the source for ZeroEdit has ever been/could ever be released? Or if anyone's tried building an alternative (from scratch perhaps)? 

I know that the original game devs had a different (better) version of ZeroEdit.

The version that we have currently is riddled with bugs and has issues on a lot of systems...

Anyways, just a thought - it'd be great to have a more stable editor.

By this you mean the map editor?  I have not seen one. However, there are some fixes to the originally released one.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Idren on October 16, 2017, 02:52:15 PM
I know that the original game devs had a different (better) version of ZeroEdit.
What were the differences? I haven't seen anything in the file formats, controls or anything to suggest the version they had was better in anyway. The only things that come to mind is the undocumented console (you can pull it up by pressing Control and ` or Shift and `. I forget which one, it let's you do things like change terrain resolution and such, it's most likely what they used when they had to do something like that) and the defunct decal editor (which you can bring up by pressing F12 {might be F8, F9, F10, etc}).

I'm not sure what was better about it, that was just something I saw psych0fred saying on his site.

One of my hobby projects while I'm learning C# with WinForms is building a new BFBuilder-type tool for swbf1, but for some reason I'm having trouble getting the .wld files to load in zeroeditor. I'm not sure if the project will ever get finished but I'm hoping to make it more intuitive for new modders to get into making maps and stuff.  Like a point and click way to add various objects to your map and stuff, same with skies from the stock game. I may just scrap the map creation option and leave that to the current BFBuilder and just implement the rest of the functionality I'm hoping for.

The only thing i am sad about this zero editor is the the fact that i cannot rescale objects directly on the map .You either have to leave zero editor and to make a option file or re-export the model  in XSI.Ohh and lets not forget the heigh limit which is becoming big problem since more and more people are making ground to space maps.

Quote from: Ginev on October 16, 2017, 10:56:17 PM
The only thing i am sad about this zero editor is the the fact that i cannot rescale objects directly on the map .You either have to leave zero editor and to make a option file or re-export the model  in XSI.Ohh and lets not forget the heigh limit which is becoming big problem since more and more people are making ground to space maps.

The height restriction is down to the engine rather than the editor.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base