EA Selected for Multi-Year Agreement for Future of Star Wars Games

Started by «ΙΞ¢KØ», May 06, 2013, 01:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Josh on May 10, 2013, 01:51:37 PM
All I want is for it to be a none gore filled game, and simple, I think that something we all love about BF

Agreed, no gore is good. And the option for third-person view. No gore, no swearing AI companions, and an option for first or third person view, and we pretty much have a bare bones SWBF.

Oh, and class selection, unless everyone feels like using customized loadouts and weapon drops. :P

May 10, 2013, 04:24:22 PM #62 Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:26:04 PM by -RepublicCommando-
Quote from: ! [ 2 1 2 ] M a r t ! on May 10, 2013, 03:15:26 PM
i want gore
Well, you're in luck, there are a billion games with blood guts and brains spewing out there!

Personally, I despise guts and blood (Except for Earth: Desert Town, that was just the right mixture of awesome!)
I don't mind animations though, I don't have an issue with the thought of a virtual thing "dying".. It's more when you try to make it look so real as to make you forget that it's a game is what I don't like.

Swearing AI commands and such, isn't really bad, it's just childish...

EDIT: EW, I JUST TURNED GREEN. (No offense Mr.Noodles)

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on May 10, 2013, 04:24:22 PM
Well, you're in luck, there are a billion games with blood guts and brains spewing out there!

Personally, I despise guts and blood (Except for Earth: Desert Town, that was just the right mixture of awesome!)
I don't mind animations though, I don't have an issue with the thought of a virtual thing "dying".. It's more when you try to make it look so real as to make you forget that it's a game is what I don't like.

Hahaha, 1000 posts for RC! :P

Agreed though, Desert Town was the right mixture of it all, however when games make it too realistic (BioShock and CoD are examples of this, as is Battlefield 3), it just messes with the mind I find. I've had friends who were perfectly fine before playing CoD, then as they played it, I just noticed a massive change about their personality. It's also why I avoid those games, not just because of the M rating in general, but because they can mess with the psyche I find.

The level of violence should match the extent to which it is in the films.

So that means no blood, but dismemberment is fine apparently.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on May 10, 2013, 04:56:23 PM
The level of violence should match the extent to which it is in the films.

So that means no blood, but dismemberment is fine apparently.
:rofl:

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

The max rating for any Star Wars game should be T for teen. Simply because the movies are good for all ages, and violence reaches a peek where if you're a Teen you'll be fine. This is one of the reasons I wasn't too excited for 1313, it was assumed that the game would be rated M. If it's M then they can't be using the Star Wars universe we know and love because Star Wars, is for all ages (this is arguable but you get what I mean). I think they would be hurting the franchise if they made a Star Wars game that was not suitable for at least a 13 year old. Besides, Disney isn't known to have any of that crap in their products.

That's just my views on the subject.  :shrug:

Quote from: -RepublicCommando- on May 10, 2013, 04:24:22 PM

lol.
And why can't DICE get that "just right" volume of blood?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on May 10, 2013, 07:35:23 PM
The max rating for any Star Wars game should be T for teen. Simply because the movies are good for all ages, and violence reaches a peek where if you're a Teen you'll be fine. This is one of the reasons I wasn't too excited for 1313, it was assumed that the game would be rated M. If it's M then they can't be using the Star Wars universe we know and love because Star Wars, is for all ages (this is arguable but you get what I mean). I think they would be hurting the franchise if they made a Star Wars game that was not suitable for at least a 13 year old. Besides, Disney isn't known to have any of that crap in their products.

That's just my views on the subject.  :shrug:

I agree.

There is a comic story line, dealing with Darth Krayt and Luke's son (grandson? I forget..), anyway, the new Skywalker is a junkie of sorts and engages in some Sith lovin'.  Nothing too terrible, but unnecessarily mature content for a SW story. 

Evil can be thwarted by a misguided bad-boy just fine without dredging all the miserable adult themes into it.  Stories like that are a dime a dozen and run rampant through other franchises.  But the good stories don't HAVE to step down to such base trickery to keep it engaging.

I like to think SW is a mature enough property to justify spending a few extra bucks on a good group of storytellers instead of just handing it over to the TV sit-com folks.   (Anyone remember the Star Wars Holiday Special? )

Harrison Ford said it does not exist Tirpider... Do not question him.

I am heavily opposed to mature content. And I'll bet you anything companies do it to yield greater profit with minimal investment. And, sadly it seems to work.

With gore, well their is a balance. I hardly notice it in most games unless I go looking for it, because well it's a small detail that doesn't really matter. As long as they stay with in reason I have no complaint against it. (Unless the person playing the game is under sixteen, in which case their parents need to re-consider what they are letting their child play.)

Just like existing profanity regulations.

A little is ok. if it moves the story forward, then it's a non-issue.  Like Luke losing a hand, then noticing Vader had a prosthetic as well. It was part of the story.

But gratuitous use of gore/profanity.. the Jabba scene could have gone all Goodfellas or Scarface on us, and thank goodness it didn't.

EP3 got gratuitous when they burned Anakin down imo.  A real horror show. The same transformation to the 'more machine than man' could have been explained as an esoteric corruption of the body by the Dark Side. Same for Sidious and no one would have needed to be thrown out a window, or barbecued.  We already know the Force works like that from the way Yoda and Ben just faded away.  But they went with the cheap thrill of b-grade horror.

Little things like that, already embedded in the main story line are what cause me to not be optimistic about these big companies touching Star Wars.  The sublime nature of the Hero's Journey isn't enough for them.  They have to 'punch it up' to increase their revenue.  (Michael Bay and his explosions.)  The demographic specific hooks have to be shoehorned in or it isn't right.  (Compare Disney's Hercules with any book on Greek Mythology.)  And the marketing... oh god the marketing.......  If Disney has any plans to make little kiddie social games out of SW, there is no possible way they will allow anyone to make anything with it that will undermine their efforts to gather Facebook and iToy gold.

My last bit of ranting then I'm done... The sale of LucasFilm was a just reward for Mr. Lucas. He earned it.  Disney being the one to buy it is the worst that I think could happen to it, and EA is just the right game licensing house (do they even program anything but sports titles anymore?) to mess up our end of it.  The Disney and EA of today are well versed in over-hyping and under-producing.  Both companies became base pablum when they became giant corporations and I feel they are going to turn SW into a cheap, happy meal toy.

I don't think Disney will let them add proper gore into it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another re-re-release of the movies with the decapitations and barbecued anti-hero removed.

Ok.. done.. no more ranting, I promise... I'll even admit that I'll probably buy whatever slop they put in the trough anyway.

-edit
Wife thinks I need to lighten up and let a new generation of fans tell their story to bring in yet another generation.   She has a point, that none of it should be taken so seriously and all of it is supposed to be fun.  When it stops being fun, then it stops being entertainment.

Well, nothing bad can come out of this, only good. Even if SWBF3 sucks, and I think it will, can only be good for SWBF1, and if BF3 sucks, what did WE lose. I'm curious to see what happens, but I think SWBF3 will be a gore filled game with more words on the ESRB rating then, um, something with a lot of words... Just my opinion

Quote from: Josh on May 11, 2013, 05:51:10 AM
Well, nothing bad can come out of this, only good. Even if SWBF3 sucks, and I think it will, can only be good for SWBF1, and if BF3 sucks, what did WE lose. I'm curious to see what happens, but I think SWBF3 will be a gore filled game with more words on the ESRB rating then, um, something with a lot of words... Just my opinion

With more words on the ESRB rating than that of which Grand Theft Auto V will have. (Trust me, those games list a load of stuff on their ratings.)

In the overall viewpoint of this massive change, I can't even remotely imagine Disney screwing something over as massive and international as Star Wars. I can see them trying to make it fit the PG selection, but I think the next episodes will have a VERY different feel than George Lucas' style. And it's not just because J.J. Abrams is doing these movies...

As far as the games go, it's really going to suck if I'm going to need a type of gaming account to play online. I never did the Gamespy stuff for either SWBF, but I just really don't like that whole effect of having to make an account to play a game. Even so, that might be a drawback for me, but what will probably get me is if there's little to no blood, gore, or cursing, and if there's a story line to go with the game. Other than that, try and actually make it feel like a SWBF sequel, and I'm hooked.

I have never heard of dice before, so wasn't overly excited. But have been enjoying the free download of battlefield 1942 (it was legally released by company) and just today realized it was a dice game. The excitement and anticipation grows.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

Quote from: «ΙΞ¢KØ» on June 03, 2013, 04:56:06 PM
I have never heard of dice before, so wasn't overly excited. But have been enjoying the free download of battlefield 1942 (it was legally released by company) and just today realized it was a dice game. The excitement and anticipation grows.
Funny, I just got BF'42 a couple days ago, installed it yesterday, to bad you have the download and I have the disk :(

I really hope the game is a lot like BF Bad Company, love it's engine, exploding building are awesome. To bad the chances of me owning the game is slim, I won't be able to afford a PS4 or Xbox "one", and my PC doesn't run newer games. BTW I was "watching" a People Court episode and I was kinda ether way on who would win the case, but then she asked what company the guy worked for, he said EA, I instantly knew who should win the case after that, just feel like showing my utter hatred toward EA. :)