Announcement of SWBFgamers 1.4 Userpatch

Started by Dark_Phantom, July 12, 2020, 09:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 12, 2020, 09:20:14 PM Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:21:56 PM by Dark_Phantom
I would like to take this time to announce the "SWBFgamers 1.4 Userpatch" (working name). This patch is NOT supported by Lucasarts/Pandemic/Disney/GOG-Steam.  This is a large scale mod intended to improve the user experience of Battlefront 1 and also to implement new content for gameplay.  What does this all include, you might be asking?  Read on and find out!

• New maps and at least one new era integrated directly into the shell
  • New and improved sides - new units, more heroes, new vehicles (and fixes to cut ones)
  • Restored features to the shell: Tutorial videos, unlockable art
  • New options ingame and in the shell to better customize your experience
  • Galactic Conquest improvements!

As a modder, there is a lot to look forward to as well.  Things that may have been daunting before should now be done with ease. There are a couple external programs planned to make life a breeze so that you can focus on creating content, not fighting with the scripting. Configuration files will be used to expedite modding processes that haven't gotten enough love over the years.

• New campaigns
  • New/edited galactic conquest scenarios
  • Easy era additions

But that's not all.  There are other plans in the final phases that will expand the user experience further:

• Mod Shop (Centralized asset integration)
  • New dedicated server software
  • Wrapper programs for the exe
  • A patching system

My desire is to try to make this patch comprehensive, but also to try to maintain basic online compatibility with clients who don't use this patch. This is a fairly ambitious undertaking, but with time and effort, we can make this happen.  We are at the stage where volunteer help from modders will be asked for, even for testing (because I sure make my fair share of mistakes).  Post here or PM me for more details or if you have a desire to become involved.

Current stage: I have reversed all the Steam/GOG scripts to the best of my ability (pretty close to 100% munged accuracy).  The completion of this initial stage allows this patch to work for EITHER version of the game, SWBFspy 1.2 or Steam.  However, there are some features that may only be implemented in SWBFspy 1.2 or Steam/GOG due to technical or logistical limitations of either version.

Questions? Concerns? I'm open to suggestions as well.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

count me in for testing
mods and maps in progress:<br />--Bf1 expanded edition 3.0 version
-- bf1 tcw battles
-- bf1 seasons mod season 1
-- bf2 expanded edition tbh

I don't know how to mod, but if you need someone to test the game and report bugs, then count me in.  ;)
Silly little guy.

This sounds absurdly awesome.

However, I'm not a modder, so my ability to contribute is likely minimal.

8)This is something I can get behind!
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

I have to say this sounds very ambitious, I've never got into modding this game but if there is anyway I can help... let me know.
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

A game update without the content update seems great. I'm not sure about including mods with it though. How would helpers be contacted?

I did send a PM, but I would like to know what you mean by "not including mods with it" though.
The new mods and additions included will bulk up the size of the download, but the bigger deal is that it will allow creators to better support mods.

I'm definitely open to suggestions though.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.