Enveloping and Weights in ZEtools

Started by i2Bros, December 11, 2017, 12:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I am having some issues understanding how enveloping works in XSI Softimage. I can use the brush tool to change weights, but I can't assign bones to an obj anymore. What should I do?
"Come on, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?"
- Lieutenant Rasczak speaking to the Roughnecks troopers

You can import for example an existing unit like CloneTrooper and then to import your model that you want to envelop and to assign him to the already existing bones from the CloneTrooper.However how exactly to do this its little complicated.You better ask this question in Gametoast aswell.There i believe are tutorials.If not ask there someone might help you.

:'(
I have ambitious plans but none of them are slightly possible if I can't skin a thing.

Try first asking in gametoast for tutorials.maybe in future i might make a video tutorial explaining how to do this.However make sure your Xsi ZeTools work.

December 12, 2017, 03:33:28 AM #4 Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 03:44:02 AM by i2Bros
All I need is adding an helmet part to the msh. I dont know how to envelope this obj file. Does all of this need a long procedure? Cause I knew how to do it, but now I forgot it all.

EDIT: that's what is giving me troubles. How do I fix this?

December 14, 2017, 05:13:45 PM #5 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:16:28 PM by tirpider
I remembered posting this a while back. It's not specifically about what you're doing, but he covers the basics of weights really well.

Quote from: tirpider on November 05, 2016, 11:35:51 AM
minilogoguy18 made an excellent set of videos that covers setting up a custom model that doesn't quit fit the game skeleton using the Softimage Mod Tool 7.5. It's on JKHub and it's for Jedi Knight, but the technique and concept are the same.

[JKHub.org] Softimage|XSI JO/JA skeleton (bones+tags) and compiling guide

In the first video, he begins selecting a leg that does not line up with the skeleton.
Then at ~8:28, he goes into rotate mode and selects pick object reference which specifies a point for the selection to rotate around. Then he simply rotates the leg into place.

The same technique should work for getting a model from an A-pose (arms at an angle) to a T-pose (arms straight out).

edit: heh, just realized It was from one of your previous threads. Sorry if it doesn't help.

If I can have a decent tutorial on how to skin single obj parts that would be nuts

Well, I don't know what your heirarchy looks like, but if your head model* is a separate model, you could just envelope it to the head bone only, and then you could leave it that way, or merge both the body and the head models together (merges envelope too).

Technically you should be able to leave it as a separate model/envelope, though.

Quote from: RepComm on December 15, 2017, 03:28:38 PM
Well, I don't know what your heirarchy looks like, but if your head model* is a separate model, you could just envelope it to the head bone only, and then you could leave it that way, or merge both the body and the head models together (merges envelope too).

Technically you should be able to leave it as a separate model/envelope, though.

Sorry if I ask but how do I envelope that?