Minecraft Help

Started by {212}FrenchFryZ, March 08, 2013, 05:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Not sure where this should go, here or under Tech Support but, non the less, I can't get my minecraft to work for some reason, I have looked on the internet surfing site to site looking for the answer so I wanted to know if maybe someone else here knew what  to do, when I launch my minecraft before i could play but now It says I have a Fatal Null Error (4) I have tried deleteing my .minecraft and launching it again it comes up with the same problem, can someone help me? I have attached what the screen says during the download crash.

March 09, 2013, 09:19:31 AM #1 Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:21:19 AM by -RepublicCommando-
Looks like your browser isn't receiving something..
(null means empty) So that means either it is an unknown error, or it is trying to get something from minecraft and it comes up empty, therefore crashing it.
But if you didn't change anything, it's probably just something they have to fix.

edit:- I do believe  *.jar file is a form of compression zipped files like *.zip, so is it downloading an update or something?
I don't have minecraft so I wouldn't know to much.
Anyone else getting the problem?

March 09, 2013, 10:39:11 AM #2 Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:35:16 AM by tirpider
@{212}FrenchFryZ - If you are loading it via your browser, have you tried running it from the launcher?
And if you are running from the launcher, have you tried starting it from their site?
If one works and not the other, then that can help narrow the problem down.

@RC - When Minecraft updates, it downloads a new jar.

-edit
I'm poking around their support forums ( http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/151-unmodified-minecraft-client-support/ )

Stuff that seemed to go nowhere:
[spoiler]I am reading that Xfire is known to crash minecraft (Though that is all that's said. I'm still digging.)

-edit2
Here is where I am digging at the moment. (There is a lot of support threads and their forum loads really slow and crashes my browser sometimes, so anyonne using a "modern" browser may be able to get through it quicker than me.)

A List of Helpful Support Threads : http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1408764-a-helpful-list-of-support-threads/

Cannot update or Cannot download the launcher : http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1396060-unable-to-connect-to-minecraftnet-new-panel-not-loading/
- says that Anti-Virus software might be preventing the update.

From the same thread:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1396060-unable-to-connect-to-minecraftnet-new-panel-not-loading/page__st__40#entry19872783
Quote from: Armed MonkeyThe solution to the problem I was having with "minecraft fatal error occured (4)" was to go into my router setting and turn off
filters: Proxy, Cookies, Java Applets, ActiveX. Someone must have been messing with my router  :P
[/spoiler]

A site linked in a thread specificly about "fatal error (4)": http://minecraftirc.net/thread-35.html
They seem pretty sure it's linked to avira or mcafee's internet security. I'm inclined to believe them from what I read in the other topics.

Try disabling your anti-virus then run minecraft.  If it finishes updating, then something in your AV is blocking the minecraft update.

I suppose that after updating, the AV could be turned back on.  As for what would need to be changed in the AV software, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Quote from: {212}FrenchFryZ on March 08, 2013, 05:07:29 PM
Not sure where this should go, here or under Tech Support but, non the less, I can't get my minecraft to work for some reason, I have looked on the internet surfing site to site looking for the answer so I wanted to know if maybe someone else here knew what  to do, when I launch my minecraft before i could play but now It says I have a Fatal Null Error (4) I have tried deleteing my .minecraft and launching it again it comes up with the same problem, can someone help me? I have attached what the screen says during the download crash.
assuming this is not cracked and you have a premium account, try playing in browser and see if you still get that error.

March 09, 2013, 02:33:27 PM #4 Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:47:34 PM by {212}FrenchFryZ
It is a genuin account, I have actually bought the game twice the first time not working, then it worked for a while. I will try playing in browser, It could be that my java is not updated enough or something like that.
@Tirpider, I have tried this AV turn off and I have also turned off my firewall while download the .jar and the files in the .minecraft, This has come to the same result along with me getting very mad. I will try the in-browser approach then get back to you with an edit.

Edit: Minecraft is working in browser. I don't know what the problem with my minecraft is but, I will try and doing the steps again. maybe I can email an admin of the site and get some feedback if I can't get it too work.

EDIT EDIT: HOLY MOTHER OF LUKE!!! (it's a star wars forum so don't say cheesey or weird plz) xD I just entered my minecraft and it worked, I have no Idea how but maybe it just needed some base files from the site I don't know but thanks to all that tried to help!!

Or, it downloaded the .jar and your started your game a little to early for it to read it was there, but started it later after some system refreshing, then it just started working.
:P
Yeah, my GM8.1 systems do that when I add auto updates to them as well 8-)

Awesome! Glad it's working for you again.

Things like this are the reason I hate all applications that require internet connectivity.
It's just flakey and un-reliable.

Minecraft is cheap enough, but I'd pay 6 times it's cost to have an install disc and not have to mess with it's broken online frailties.

I totally agree tirpider! It might have to do with a computer restart that I did about 1 hour before I posted (I hadn't  thought about trying it again after that) But, I guess I will never know! I also don't think that java was running correctly before so, that might have been in it. TO MANY POSSIBLITIES!! Anyway Thanks again!  :cheers: