USB Mass Storage Device Not Showing Up!

Started by Gold Man, March 08, 2014, 06:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, I've ran into another problem on my hot mess of a laptop.

A few weeks back, I could plug in my USB device into my laptop, it would be recognized, etc. Now, I just tried plugging in my flash drive, and when it's in, the computer doesn't show it at all! It's like it doesn't even exist in the port! I've done some hunting, but all the answers they're giving are just too much techno-babble for my taste. (ex. make a notepad doc and name it reg.fix)

Perhaps you guys could help me out? I know it's not the key, I tried another key I have, and the laptop won't recognize the key as well! I even tried all the ports on this thing, no response.

Help me, SWBFGamers, you're my only hope!  :nervous:

USB ports can get damaged.  Usually there is some warning about "surge detected on usb port" or something like that.

If this is your error, here is some discussion
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/463952-power-surge-hub-port.html

In my experience, (if you have this) this is a hardware failure and can not be solved with a software solution, although resetting it may temporarily allow you to access the USB port.

Also, some ports are tied together, some are not, so maybe there is still one that works.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on March 08, 2014, 07:13:42 AM
USB ports can get damaged.  Usually there is some warning about "surge detected on usb port" or something like that.

If this is your error, here is some discussion
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/463952-power-surge-hub-port.html

In my experience, (if you have this) this is a hardware failure and can not be solved with a software solution, although resetting it may temporarily allow you to access the USB port.

Also, some ports are tied together, some are not, so maybe there is still one that works.

Well, like I said, I tried all of the ports, and none of them work. Even so, when I plug it in, nothing related to the USB shows up, it acts like I never put the USB in there. But yet the mouse and cooling pad work perfectly in the ports. However, I will try to restart my PC and see if I get any results there. If nothing works then I don't know what's left to do. :(

Try the suspect flash drive on another computer.

If your mouse works, I would not think it would be the USB port.

Quote from: Led on March 08, 2014, 09:50:50 AM
Try the suspect flash drive on another computer.

If your mouse works, I would not think it would be the USB port.

I actually did (forgot to mention that part, heh). The drive works perfectly on the desktop (that's how I installed Elementary OS Luna on it), however it's the laptop's ports that aren't working. I have no idea why the flash drive isn't being detected whatsoever, whereas my trackball mouse and cooling pad are working normally.

Your laptop may/may not have an infection that is blocking the flash drive from being read. First, try going through your security settings, to see if anything may be preventing the reading. Then check for anything recent that may be causing this issue. If worse comes to worst, you may need to get a new flash drive.

That's all I know what to help you with. Good luck.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Ultimo on March 08, 2014, 06:29:34 PM
Your laptop may/may not have an infection that is blocking the flash drive from being read. First, try going through your security settings, to see if anything may be preventing the reading. Then check for anything recent that may be causing this issue. If worse comes to worst, you may need to get a new flash drive.

That's all I know what to help you with. Good luck.

Well, there's been no updates done to the laptop at all recently, so nothing could've gotten in. I haven't even touched the browser all week. I know it can't be an infection, because I have approved of no updates for any applications on the computer.

Also Ultimo, the flash drive isn't the problem, it works on the other desktop computer my parents have. Allow me to go through the list here:

-Flash drive works on other computer (therefore, the flash drive isn't the problem)
-Flash drive is not detected whatsoever on the laptop (no warnings or notifications at all that I've plugged it in)
-All ports on the laptop do not respond to flash drive(it has to be either hardware or software issue)
-Peripherals work on the ports however (keyboard and cooling pad work like normal, so it must be software related)

The problem is, I don't know what's causing it! I only got on the laptop this morning, and even then I was just on the browser to check up some forum posts on other sites. The only download I did today was download the Elementary OS ISO file so I could make a bootable flash drive with the OS installed.

Again, I have no idea what the problem is, I've done my looking around but nobody seems to have the same issue as I do, so I do not know the cause or solution to the issue.

Did you install the ISO?
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on March 08, 2014, 06:44:56 PM
Did you install the ISO?

I did end up installing the ISO, however I installed it onto my flash drive via the desktop computer instead (due to my impatience). The ISO file is still hanging around on my laptop, though I suppose I could remove it now since I've finished the installation. I just have no way to test if the flash drive will boot Luna on my laptop. I would try the desktop, however my parents would never approve of me testing it there.

Only other thing is to make sure it is installing the driver for the usb flashdrive

Quote from: Led on March 08, 2014, 08:04:57 PM
Only other thing is to make sure it is installing the driver for the usb flashdrive

Very well, I'l check up on that later tomorrow. I will update this post in the afternoon (got a busy morning tomorrow), to report my findings.

Did you tell it (As in computer/USB Port) to eject the USB storage before you pulled it out of the port? if not that can sometimes cause the problems, and have you checked if you deleted anything of the files that let you see and open those USB flashdrives? If so i would try that thing with the editor anyways for EXE thats how i had to fix a few applications and stuff on my computer because when cleaning out files on the computer the orginal applications and stuff got deleted off the computer, so i had to make new X-P what a hassle, But i am glad that i have them back.

I hope you manage to get it fixed Gold-Man!!

Try disconnecting all other things from the USB ports (cooling pad and mouse) before connecting the flash drive or phone/device. 

I had a mouse pad with a USB HUD and fancy LED lights that would do the same thing to my desktop.  It did not happen when I first got it so it was very frustrating for me befor I figured it out. 

When in doubt eliminate all possible causes ;)

Quote from: Dbiz on March 11, 2014, 05:57:21 PM
Try disconnecting all other things from the USB ports (cooling pad and mouse) before connecting the flash drive or phone/device. 

I had a mouse pad with a USB HUD and fancy LED lights that would do the same thing to my desktop.  It did not happen when I first got it so it was very frustrating for me befor I figured it out. 

When in doubt eliminate all possible causes ;)

Very well, I'l give that a shot when I get to my laptop. (Been busy watching animes, and will continue to do so over the break! :P)