File Service for SWBF related Files

Started by Led, April 03, 2017, 04:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi SWBFgamers,

I am investigating starting a file service (like dropbox) for sharing SWBF related files.  One way to share will be through links to specific files.  This would be hosted at my house, meaning that there will be some days where the electricity is off or something, and the service would not be available.  (Usually only a couple of days per year.)  It also means that when my home IP changes, I would need a day to figure it out and update my DNS service to get the domain name to the new IP.

I have some questions for our community:

1) would you use this?  (as a modder or downloader)

2)  what name should we use?

Here are some suggestions from me
SWBFGamersFiles
swgfiles

and from Unit33
SWBFcabinet
SWBFindex
SWBFstuff
SWBFarchive
SWBFfunplace

Do you have a name preference?  or Are there other names that would be better?

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Other name ideas:

SWBFrepo
SWBFdepot
SWBFVault
SWBFBox
SWBFCrypt

I think the idea is great. I personally would want it to upload all my mods, maps and assets i want to share on it (i don't have much of any other way curently). it would require your swbfgamers ID right?

QuoteThis would be hosted at my house, meaning that there will be some days where the electricity is off or something, and the service would not be available.  (Usually only a couple of days per year.)

my power or/and internet goes out way more often than that  :P

1. so yes i would use it
2. I wouuld use it as both a modder and downloader
3. my name list for it:
    1. SWBFfileStore
    2. SWBFfileCenter
    3. SWBFstorage
    4. SWBFgonkDroidStorage  :P

The best of luck to you
"a tool is a tool, it isn't inherently evil or good." -Sleep killer

Quote from: Linux user Awesome on April 03, 2017, 08:34:12 PM
I think the idea is great. I personally would want it to upload all my mods, maps and assets i want to share on it (i don't have much of any other way curently). it would require your swbfgamers ID right?

Each uploader would get a read-write account.  It would be drag and drop like dropbox, or I could enable an FTP access for bulk uploads.

Downloads could be done with anonymous shared link access.  I would not likely have anonymous FTP download access just because I would not want that much traffic on my ports at home.

I have a QNAP TS212 with 4 TB of data storage.

Of course, for finished maps I would encourage everyone to keep using our SWBFgamers download section. (it seems to not be used much lately...)

:cheers:

SWBFdepot it is.  10 years lease on the name  :P