[WIP] Supplies Outpost

Started by Epifire, July 24, 2013, 05:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
beautiful work, as always. Do you start with the lower poly or the higher poly? Do you start from scratch for each version?

Quote from: MileHighGuy on July 25, 2014, 08:54:05 AM
beautiful work, as always. Do you start with the lower poly or the higher poly? Do you start from scratch for each version?

Sorry didn't get a notification that you replied.

I usually model out a really simple low poly shape, (usually so I can establish my bounding and scale) and then I expand within that with a high poly mesh, so that I can bake a really good AO map out of it. That's really half the battle right there. Then the rest is is just photoshop work. Here let me give an example of how my recent barricade prop was done...

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

After that's done I test them in-game, and if it all looks right I eventually get around to detailing and coloring so they're finished...

[spoiler]Testing them

Finished product!

[/spoiler]

So there you have it sir! Pretty much my workflow on just about everything I've done in this map. If you'd like a more in depth explanation on the baking tools in XSI I'd be more than happy to help out.
photobucket limit image removed

Well here comes the update on things once again. Starting to think it would almost better to just release some test versions of the map, but it's just a buildings and objects testing map rather than the actual intended layout.

I actually got into sculpting some rocks for the larger ones that'll act as a barrier for some areas in the map. I've done quite a bit since the last update, and a lot of little things so once I start working on the layout I'll just get a routine test release going...

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Really looking forward to getting the final layout done, but I wanted to try getting highres terrain working before I did that. I got some more rocks and small props to work on, and I'd even like to get some simple animated ones in there at some point.  :cheers:

Those rocks sure are swell.

It's coming along great, keep it up!

I have to say... Wow, impressive work my friend! I love the look of the map, and I'm sure that the layout is going to be awesome!
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

I'm really looking forward to this! I think some cool skins would go along nicely in this map. Maybe some Tantive IV troopers and special Stormtroopers (Shadow Stormtroopers maybe?)

The texturing here looks really great, nice work.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on August 21, 2014, 06:51:23 PM
I'm really looking forward to this! I think some cool skins would go along nicely in this map. Maybe some Tantive IV troopers and special Stormtroopers (Shadow Stormtroopers maybe?)

I'd been thinking about something like that myself. I'm actually not so keen on having Dark Troopers in the map since they can get on top of a buncha stuff that you're not really supposed to and have an easy speed advantage.

I'm considering an equal amount of vehicles to both sides as I'm wanting it to be pretty even. Thanks to everyone for all the support! I'm really looking forward to the official layout, cause then we can start testing it and see what needs improvement. Slowly but surely it's all getting done.  :cheers:

Well here comes the really held off shout out. After collaboration on a Steam mod (Double Action: Boogaloo) has slowed down immensely I'm back to work on the old map once again! This time I'd really like to get a full working version.

Here's the catch. I seem to be having a great many difficulties with Zero Edit. I mean I can place props, munge and all that but CP placement bugs out. For instance, I can try and add a new CP somewhere in the map, and it will completely remove zones and info when I load back in.

Basically I need to find a way to resolve this or else (you guessed it) I wont be able to finish the map. I'm also okay with sharing the project file for someone (who can work past this issue) can setup the CPs) as well as collaborate on ideas further!. I really have learned a lot over the past year (high-res baking, complex shaders, etc) but I want so badly to finish this. I can crank out the assets like a boss with this duel PC setup I got running again, I just need some extra help here. So here's for the shout out, any takers?  :shrug:

You have to investigate your Cp's, by opening your  .wld file.
For example, there shouldn't be any line like that:    Layer(1);
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Hmm, that's strange. PM me the map and I'll download the mod tools to take a look at it. I can't think of a time that has happened to me but I'll definitely see what I can do. Glad you are back on the saddle!
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Sereja on April 03, 2015, 12:10:53 AM
You have to investigate your Cp's, by opening your  .wld file.
For example, there shouldn't be any line like that:    Layer(1);

Yeah I looked into the .wld file and didn't find any line such as the one you listed. I did make some headway though on my neutral faction. I present to you the FH-9 (Freight Hauler) heavy lift droid! - had a real bugger of a time getting the eyes to glow and no idea why:wacko:

"A brief backstory on the FH-9 states him (among his other identical counterparts) as an assigned workforce by the Empire to load/unload mass amounts of freight. When the Empire was in decline the local docking tower was decommissioned. Part in reason as to keep it a less suspicious site for their remaining supply chain to the Imperial forces (being derelict in appearance). This leads us to assume there is still a large surplus of these droids held deep in the tower's engineering level on standby." -Rebel Scout Intel

I recall Sereja giving a bit of info on the Recon Droid ODF being a good lead, for a unit template. So at least I have the modeling portion done, though if I had any patience I might even add some shot/move animations later on. Right now he's just a static mesh, so I by no means have anything else done as for adding him to a faction.  :XD:

So for now I go back to sculpting some jagged rocks, to skirt the outer rim of the map. Also just to get an opinion but that one large panel texture I use a lot seems to be a bit repetitive, think I should break it up with another variant? - cuz I'm all bout dem details! -

The freight hauler droid looks epic, nice work! :tu:

That looks so cool. Nice job!  :tu:
Nothing is written here...

Thanks guys! You people are the reason I still work on this.

Just another update for the night. Getting my hands dirty with some more sculpting in Mudbox, and put together a decent pillar of rock to use along the map edge...

I'd like to get maybe a wider length of rock wall, in addition to that. Kinda mashy combo at the moment but I think I can make it look a bit more natural if I have a couple more to throw along the edge. Kinda going for that jagged faceted look.