6 or 7 Units

Started by Phobos, May 11, 2012, 06:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 11, 2012, 06:19:49 AM Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 07:04:25 AM by Phobos
Psych0fred's Mod

BattleBelk's Mod

Two legendary modders once discovered how to make 6 unit spawn button appear (and it looks like psych0fred managed to get 7). However, they did not share their knowledge. I am hoping us modders can figure this out. What we know is that common.lvl has a script called ifs_pc_spawnselect, the munged script shows references to ifs.profile.list although I'm not sure if a hex edit would work, the source LUA might be required, but we can still try some experiments.

On a side I think ScriptCB_IFModel_SetOmegaY could be the trigger for unit mesh preview. I noticed on the spawn menu how the animations for units do not stop when pause menu is open but the droideka animation pauses.

EDIT: I tested a hex edit removal of 2 instances of ScriptCB_IFModel_SetOmegaY from the ifs_pc_spawnselect.script but the unit model still shows up.

As I see from both pics, the 6 buttons are dead. This mean, if those modders even can edit interface, they can't make new buttons to work. So, those buttons just a part of decor...
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on May 11, 2012, 07:14:19 AM
As I see from both pics, the 6 buttons are dead. This mean, if those modders even can edit interface, they can't make new buttons to work. So, those buttons just a part of decor...

That could be as far as they went, but it does not mean that is the limit. As it was with exit to windows, first you have to get the button to show up. Then you work on making it perform the operation it is supposed to. New buttons can be made to work if the LUA script is available, the question is are there other ways to make these button work using either addon scripts or different methods.

If this could work, shouldnt it be possible to make a third playable team?
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Sereja on May 11, 2012, 07:14:19 AM
Finally someone who agrees with me! Judging from the SWBFII scripts the value that controls how many slots you can get must be matched both in LUA and a C++ Header file. The slots we see here actually appear on SWBFII when all of its 10 slots are used.

Also I have hex edited every 4-Byte value for 5 and changed it to 6 to see if it crashed. If it did I changed it back and tried another one. So on and so forth. Till I had tested every 5 in that script. If it didn't crash I went and tried it on a map that was calling for 5 slots. It either never showed up or crashed here.

Sorry, but what you seek is impossible in SWBF1. If you somehow manage to obtain the script you can test it yourself. But Napseeker's (He is a genius) way is the closest thing to more than 5 slots we shall see without the source code for the game.

Quote from: SnΛke on May 11, 2012, 02:16:43 PM
If this could work, shouldnt it be possible to make a third playable team?
I don't think so, the game was centred around 2 playable teams in SWBF2 they have all the source scripts and they can't get more than 2 proper teams selectable. They use hack methods to give the illusion of more than 2. They split up the screens, then when someone spawns they use an LUA command that SWBF1 doesn't have to swap the team of the unit to 3 or 4.

May 11, 2012, 02:40:10 PM #5 Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 02:48:44 PM by Phobos
I grow tired of you saying things are impossible. I don't care to hear narcissistic discouragement for testing ideas that would be beneficial to the modding community in every thread I post for mod ideas. Just because it hasn't yet been discovered does not mean it cannot be.

A man [or woman] can dream after-all.

Anyway, there's no need to have a farm about it.

Oh you people with your opinions...

Sleepkiller is just being logical, he has tried everything thoroughly. Let's hope there is some way but I, for one, will not be the one to discover it.  :rofl:
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

He has tried many hex edits, but we still don't know what exactly battlebelk did. I think the data is inconclusive.

You should do what Napseeker did in his Jedi Temple mod where you can choose from a bunch of different people but no AI are them though...
Here is what I'm talking about http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=283

Isnt it possible just to copy one of the old buttons then paste (and change the name).

"Better not be at all than not be noble" - Lord Alfred Tennyson
https://www.facebook.com/SWBFGamers
https://twitter.com/swbfuniverse

January 20, 2013, 07:20:08 PM #11 Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:24:06 PM by Phobos
I got the buttons to show up (only 2 bytes need to be hexed), but not much more than that. When I add 6 or more units to a team in the mission LUA though, it crashes the exe every time.

There is probably a limit hard-coded that prevents the game from allowing more than 5 units called on for each faction.

now there are no battlebelk mysteries left to solve except getting chamelean to work on unit skins.

Quote from: Phobos on January 20, 2013, 07:20:08 PM
I got the buttons to show up (only 2 bytes need to be hexed), but not much more than that. When I add 6 or more units to a team in the mission LUA though, it crashes the exe every time.

There is probably a limit hard-coded that prevents the game from allowing more than 5 units called on for each faction.
But is it? Originally the bothan spy and other special classe were to be included into the game. If this is true, than that hard coded limit shouldnt exist, and therefore, we can have more than 5 units!

February 04, 2013, 06:21:50 PM #14 Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:35:01 PM by Phobos
Quote from: Ltin on February 04, 2013, 06:18:06 PM
But is it? Originally the bothan spy and other special classe were to be included into the game. If this is true, than that hard coded limit shouldnt exist, and therefore, we can have more than 5 units!
The hard-coded limit could have been implemented after they decided to limit the game to 5 units spawnable per team instead of 6 or 7. They were still adjusting the source EXE scripts during development so that limit could have been imposed at any time. I got the 6-7 unit spawn buttons to show up but since it crashes when you try to specify the 6th units in the mission LUA, that makes me think they changed the hard-code limit for spawnable units (the max amount of units per team specifiable for a mission LUA) from 6 or 7, to 5 just prior to releasing the game. I'm sure there might be a way around it but it would be a very difficult and obscure not to mention EULA infringing method. It crashes in both battlefront.exe and sptest.exe, no error logs.

Fred was asked about it once
http://secretsociety.com/forum/display_message.asp?mid=1595

but never responded  :(