Vehicle Dispenser

Started by Snake, December 05, 2011, 04:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I have seen jango do this before but he is retired.. I can't figure out how to make a vehicle dispenser so please help if anyone knows how.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Take the Odf for the time bomb. ***_weap_inf_remote_charge_dispenser.odf. change "OrdnanceName = abcdefg" to "OrdnanceName = "Vehicle_Of_Your_Choice"
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

!

Will the vehicle be drive-able?
Will it work for Multiplayer?

I am intrigued.

December 05, 2011, 07:46:54 PM #3 Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:54:03 PM by Phobos Developer
It is not very hard to add vehicle dispensers, the problem is that it has yet to be discovered how to add vehicles to maps that don't have them to server LVL files so clients can play without crashing. The vehicles do function and it is fun to drop tanks on kamino because they all float on the water.
:fish:
To add a speeder bike dispenser to cloud city you could take the file:

imp_weap_inf_powerup_dispenser.odf

change the ordnance name like this

OrdnanceName = "com_item_powerup_dual"
OrdnanceName = "imp_hover_speederbike"

Then you have to add a memory pool limit specification in the LUA
SetMemoryPoolSize ("EntityHover",20)

If you were adding planes it would be entityflyer

You can do that for stock weapons like mines, recon, powerup, etc. Or you can create new weapons but neither the side.lvl or mission.lvl will be online compatible for clients without the mod. The side.lvl might work for a while if you play in another server until someone tries using the weapon you called a different ordnancename for, which is what I think probably breaks the compatibility. We still haven't found a way around adding new stuff to mission so for now vehicle dispensers only works for download mods.

On a side note I found that adding custom _exp files to weapons are much more compatible online than custom _ord files. It would be nice to have a document detailing which ODF commands are online compatible versus which ones are not; and of the ones that are online compatible which are server-sided vs client sided. Same goes for LUA mods. Of course we know that TGA mods are always online compatible, client sided.

hmm, could you dispense AI ?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

December 05, 2011, 08:41:52 PM #5 Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:14:17 PM by SleepKiller
I read one of Pandemics docs on freds site and it said that technicly anything could go their.

EDIT:
It worked. But the Ai stand around stupidly.

can you dispense AI and control them like you would a remote recon?

Sounding like the deployable boxes here.

Reminds me of the deployable decoy / hologram from Duke Nuk'em.

Even if you can't control the deployed AI, you still have something to grab attention with.

And deployable barricades sounds fun, as long as the map doesn't get crashy.

Quote from: tirpider on December 05, 2011, 10:53:51 PM
And deployable barricades sounds fun, as long as the map doesn't get crashy.
MaxItems = 3
That is what keeps a cap on things.

Quote from: SleepKiller on December 05, 2011, 08:41:52 PM
I read one of Pandemics docs on freds site and it said that technicly anything could go their.

EDIT:
It worked. But the Ai stand around stupidly.

Maybe they need to be on a hint node.  I wonder if they would fight back if attacked?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Na, they stand around like a punching bag. Good for drawing fire away from you.

It makes sense now! I created a vehicle dispenser, and it didnt crash when I tried it but it also didnt show up. So you have to use vehicles that are called to that .lvl...Makes sense. Yes I also made a people dispenser, its very fun blowing luke skywalker around whenever I want xD thanks guys!
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

If you are creating your own vehicles and putting them in the side just add the odf name to the req file and LUA so it calls upon it. It is fun I want to test deploying rancors and see if they eat people

This also works with buildings and units. I mean to say that you can only dispense what is called by the .lua in the .lvl file just for future reference.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder