New Free Radical Battlefront IV Concept Art Surfaces

Started by swgaming1015, March 13, 2018, 02:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 13, 2018, 02:39:36 PM Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:53:48 PM by swgaming1015
Some more early concept art from what would've no doubt be a great game. Sadly, it seems it wasn't meant to be.

https://imgur.com/a/k3N2d

What does everyone think of how this game was shaping up? There were evidently going with a non-canon campaign which may have been a controversial choice. But the planned scale of this game was clearly enormous and it obviously would've focused on story much more than any other game in the series.

I'm always for a "What if?" campaign. I love the idea of everyone switching places.

This is fake, Free Radical was shut down shortly after they cancelled BF3, plus why would BF4 be made if 3 was not even done?

No actually its not fake.Free radical employee explained that back in the days they were in very good relationship with LucasArts and shortly after they complete Bf3 they were going to start on bf4.Thats why their concept artist begin to explore some new ideas.And here are some of them.Sadly none of this happened.Instead we have "Call of Duty Star Wars" :D

They never finished the game, but they were almost done with it. But I might be wrong, because maybe the FreeRadical employee who leaked the DevBuild, only had the old one... Which was almost done

From the makers of Time Splitters...

They were definitely going for some alternate reality or time-travel-shenanigan game.

Quote from: ThePlushieZone on March 13, 2018, 08:14:15 PM
This is fake, Free Radical was shut down shortly after they cancelled BF3, plus why would BF4 be made if 3 was not even done?

BF3 was was nearly complete so portions of the development team were already at the concept stage of SWBF4.

It seems like there was a burst of activity with Lucas Arts projects just before collapse, what with 1313, SWBF3, early plans for SWBF4, SWBF 'Online' (?), 'First Assault' etc etc.

Quote from: Unit 33 on March 16, 2018, 10:38:21 AM
From the makers of Time Splitters...

They were definitely going for some alternate reality or time-travel-shenanigan game.

Seems really weird to me, I would not have been a fan of this at all. It seems strange to say now, but in some ways I think Lucas Arts was scrapping the bottom of the barrel for fresh ideas...
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

Quote from: Norwood on March 16, 2018, 02:42:25 PM
Seems really weird to me, I would not have been a fan of this at all. It seems strange to say now, but in some ways I think Lucas Arts was scrapping the bottom of the barrel for fresh ideas...
From what I can gather there was a lack of confident direction; they tried a lot of different ideas and the higher ups didn't seem to have the confidence to let production teams take ay particular risks; so projects repeatedly collapsed and re-started until nothing at all was achieved.

There's a lot of really great journalistic accounts of the last years of LucasArts.

This one in particular makes a good bash at it:
https://kotaku.com/how-lucasarts-fell-apart-1401731043

If they actually had completed this game, either it would have been so successful that Lucas would not have sold LucaArts to EA.  Even if they had, they would have not dared to compete with the masterpiece of a Battlefront.  That said we should (as a community) make these concepts a reality for the old Battelfront II, have complete conversion mods based on these (I do know that the Legend and Iamstupid is already working on it).  We could recreate the game with a different engine and find out the source code.  I would love for a group to make these models!

Btw I found this on fb a while back: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-13-cancelled-star-wars-battlefield-4-art-shows-dark-side-luke-jedi-maul
If you are good at something, never do it for attention.