Getting BF2 Maps into BF1?

Started by ggctuk, March 24, 2009, 02:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
How did rebel_scum and imp_strikeforce get the BF2 maps into BF1? There were a few they'd done but were not all finished? I'd much like to add some maps to my mod (sounds like hexwork a little, or did they modify the maps in BF2's ZeroEdit?)
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Well if you make sure that swbf2-only features are removed from the map is swbf2 ZE, then it should work for copy and paste

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

Now that rebel_scum is back here again, you can also ask him yourself too :)

If I recall, scum has forgotten almost all his modding knowledge after his harddrive was wiped...but I guess it could be worth a shot

It's worth an ask. I'm sure something must be left behind, even a vague description. I just sent a PM to him, and even a vague answer will be good. I do now assume it's fiddling in BF2 ZeroEditor to get rid of things like lights.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

It was probably ZE2 used to load the asset maps, strip away the non-compatible BF1 features, and possibly reload it into ZE1 for munging I'd wager.  Of course, another way possibly would be to take the map placement of all map objects and just copy/paste that into a ZE1-created dummy project (all x,y,z coordinates are stored in a plain text file, not binary, so you can just load up the file into Notepad and see where everything is placed).

The problems would still remain with BF2 maps that use terrain or have collisions that don't work for BF1 for some reason. Polis Massa being a good example, you'd need to stick invisible collision objects in quite a few places to keep units from falling thru the ground to their deaths.  I'd like to still see someone do the never-done/never-finished BF2 maps (Tantive, Felucia, Kamino2, etc), as I don't know if there's as much of a wow factor in replicating any of the maps already done by strike/scum as they did a pretty decent job given how tedious it was.  Especially Felucia... I still have my 327th Star Corps units somewhere on my HD but never got around to trying to do a Felucia port myself.  Not to mention a great map to have for a TFU mod project too.

Yeah, I realized the terrain problem early, and also, I think I may have figured out how to get Tantive IV working. One of the hallway sections (tan4_*something*_c I believe) crashes ZE when it re-loads the map.

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

You gave me a good idea Napseeker...hmm maybe this weekend I can attempt a port, actually, this Spring Break, since it's coming up..

Yes! I think my idea could work..I just need a map that everyone wants ported hmm

I just got a reply from rebel_scum. Sadly he has indeed forgotten how to port those maps.
In Progress:

On Hold:

Quote from: "ggctuk"I just got a reply from rebel_scum. Sadly he has indeed forgotten how to port those maps.

I may not be a modder, but I'm sure that someone still knows how to out there.

I probably do :)

but I haven't been able to satisfactorily make a map that works... i did Polis Massa once, and it worked, but there were tons of collision issues and etc. Couldn't fix it.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

Weren't there collisions that shipped with the editor?
In Progress:

On Hold:

Yes, there are, but they don't do any good, seeing as AFAIK, you can't open converted maps with BF1's ZeroEditor.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

Some maps I guess can be actually physically "remade", since several maps are object-dependant mapsinstead of terrain-dependant maps. I would have liked to see BF2 Kashyyyk in BF1 though...
In Progress:

On Hold:

I'd actually like to see BF2 Kashyyyk playable on BF1 too, but more as a novelty than anything else.  From what I've seen of the map (from within ZE2), the design of that map looks like the weakest out of all the BF2 maps.  

I made a modified version of Kashyyyk Docks last year using some of the BF2 Kashyyyk assets in order to recreate the RotS beach battle more faithfully, and one thing I noticed right away is that whoever made the BF2 Kashyyyyk models really did a so-so job at texturing them; the BF1 assets are so much better looking. I had to drop using some models because they didn't blend well at all with the better BF1 pieces.

I'd be curious to know from any BF2 gamers how they'd rank the standard maps, I'd guess that Mustafar, Utapau, Tantive, and the Jedi Temple would rank near the top, while Kashyyyk, Polis, Kamino and possibly Dagobah would be near the bottom.