Bypassing map limit

Started by Radical_Pi, March 13, 2009, 10:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was thinking about an idea I had to handle the 3rd era a bit better (I'll leave you to think what it is :P), and I realized a possible way to bypass the limit on maps. This would only be practical in map packs, but with a little bit of work it would be possible to lump the common maps that we use together into one map.

Here's my theory: Assuming the limit on maps is only due to number of folders, a highly edited addme.script could handle more than one map for adding to the map screen. I will do some tests to see if this will actually work, but if it does work, we won't be complaining about having to remove all of Napseeker's great maps before a match.

This probably won't work with the older maps that are modded as well, since maps will have to share folders. However, if I do get it to work I'll release the method so any map that we have the source to can be updated. For all the modders out there: Most likely this will require a bit of re-tooling on the munging script and messing around with the mission.lvl file to handle more than one map.

Also, most likely all players will require the lump maps, but if I do get it right I could make it handle non-lump players. Already have ideas of how to do this!

I've yet to actually try any of this, since it's almost 1 AM here and I might be going on a flight tomorrow. But I'll try it as soon as I can.

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

If this works what you could do is release edited munge bat files that go inside the DataTEMPLATE folder.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base