The History of Star Wars Battlefront!

Started by (Wusi)Trooper X, December 28, 2013, 01:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: aeria. on December 28, 2013, 07:19:13 PM
There's the occasional person that has stayed through the eras such as Led himself. The rest of us moved on to different games, including myself. Why would we move on to different games?To be frank, SWBF is a terribly old game that hasn't quite aged well. That's the only way I could put it.
I guess the main reason I stopped playing was the collapse of the Mac community.
It was a good community, we had very little of the vicious arguments and trolling that plagues the PC side.

I'm kinda glad CM died, we had all moved on.

Unit, do you stop playing SWBF?? 
Hi im a semi-professional gif maker.
If anyone is interested on gifs, send me a pm or
xfire message!

Quote from: FieroBull on December 29, 2013, 05:28:19 AM
Unit, do you stop playing SWBF?? 
I haven't played in ages for reasons previously stated.

Ahh the memories. i remember when I started playing online (Mac, Gameranger) about a year after SWBF came out. My bad, I should have got on right away. There were a lot of players at the time; Weili, Tim, Scummies, Subcontractor, Analog, Ghost, 8:15, Hopko, Hairy Beast and Unit 33 to name a few. There would be 6 to 16 players easy per room/game, every evening. That was a lot for Mac. Before aeria gloris and the new generation came around we would play all maps as intended; kill enemy and capture CPs. The more maps we got through the more fun we had. CC no CPs no jets soon got boring the way the new guys played it. If I could I would be playing online now, but the Mac side is dead. I am retired to DLing and playing all the cool customs the guys make available here. Keep up the good work. And as appropriate, all hail Buckler for keeping this community alive.

December 29, 2013, 07:58:34 AM #19 Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:16:38 AM by Unit 33
SchTick is alive!

Just looking at my inactive Game Ranger contact list summarises the amount of departed Mac lads and lassies out there… :'(

December 29, 2013, 09:04:42 AM #20 Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:09:11 AM by aeria.
Quote from: SchTicK on December 29, 2013, 07:18:50 AM
Ahh the memories. i remember when I started playing online (Mac, Gameranger) about a year after SWBF came out. My bad, I should have got on right away. There were a lot of players at the time; Weili, Tim, Scummies, Subcontractor, Analog, Ghost, 8:15, Hopko, Hairy Beast and Unit 33 to name a few. There would be 6 to 16 players easy per room/game, every evening. That was a lot for Mac. Before aeria gloris and the new generation came around we would play all maps as intended; kill enemy and capture CPs. The more maps we got through the more fun we had. CC no CPs no jets soon got boring the way the new guys played it. If I could I would be playing online now, but the Mac side is dead. I am retired to DLing and playing all the cool customs the guys make available here. Keep up the good work. And as appropriate, all hail Buckler for keeping this community alive.

This is exactly what I mean. There was a completely different generation before mine came in, a new generation right after mine, and then you guys. I look at the recent posts in this forum and it's completely different people once again. Those names Schtick mentioned I only recall hearing. I've never seen them in-game consistently.

My generation said screw everything we're playing cc no bots no cps. It was mainly because getting 8 people in a lobby was tough enough.

ACW, IAS, BHF, and VS were probably the big Mac clans. ACW was probably the most successful. BHF was the most casual.

Someone from ACW/IAS could tell you better about their rivalry.

/\ was Pants. Pants had a lot of members and they never considered a clan, merely a bunch of players who wanted to play the game for fun. They also only referred to themselves but the first letter of their alias. With that said, I can't remember their names at all. All I do remember is that they were an awesome group of guys who always hosted custom map servers.

EDIT: Oh yeah Unit is right, the Mac community had its share of immaturity but it has never reached the levels of the PC community. You guys need to wake up and realize that the PC community is standing on its last legs, there's no need for the drama. Just learn to appreciate how close the community is and remember why you're playing the game in the first place -- to have fun.

#TYBG

Quote from: SleepKiller on December 28, 2013, 07:49:24 PM
Troll you say? Very well. I would hardly call someone from 2007 an OG. The only person from 2004 that I know of that is still around is SirPimped.
I am from 2004 you can ask darth mullet about that haha I got the game the first day it came out because my friend told me about how he read about it in a magazine or some thing and we noticed the release date was the day he showed me haha so I had my mother drive me down to target late at night to get it :3

My friend Sonic has been around since 2004.

Gamertag Towellie on YouTube has played the game since 2004 I think. He just made a new video! http://www.youtube.com/user/GamertagTOWELLIE

Quote from: Red_Leader on December 28, 2013, 04:04:11 PM
Your in luck and because its the holidays I've resurfaced from retirement!

I am Red Leader... him of the {TL20} The Lost Twenty fame.

I got into Star Wars BattleFront fairly late on, perhaps about 2006/7. It was originally on the PS2 when I first started playing but I hated playing on consoles. I don't know what it was but I loved the game. Perhaps a few months afterwards I ended up with a broken foot, some time off work and ordered my first broadband connection.

I played BattleFront for a good while on the multiplayer and saw all these clans (no idea what they were at the time) and looked around for the one that interested me. To cut a long story short I was recruited into {JMS} by Najac and met other members such as Ric, Dark, Smallz, Soggy and a few others in the clan.

Turned out that the leader of {JMS} was MIA and the clan was lasting but for the good will of the members that were in it. Seeing the writing on the wall and talking over the options, Najac and myself decided to form {TL20} as a better organized and smaller clan limited to 20 people...more or less. Based on the missing number of Jedi in Star Wars...google it... Our forums (not the original ones unfortunately) are still up and running.

The clan lasted a good 2 years but it did have its ups and downs. Many a good laugh and precious moment was had. Something good in gaming that you don't get anymore. Gradually the members either left or went quiet. I myself left to enjoy life a little and relax. COD4 was also launched near that time and a good deal of people headed in that direction.

When I started playing BattleFront there were a good number of solid and established clans out there. They changed here and there...members moved from one clan to the next. It was different times and a close knit small community that most people were happy to help in order to keep it healthy.

I am though quite looking forward to more Star Wars BattleFront games but have my fingers crossed that EA/DICE don't balls it up!

Good to see you around Red, hope you're doing well  :cheers:
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

I competely missed Red's post.

Hi Red. Sorry for bothering you so much during my middle school years. :P

#TYBG

Quote from: Droideka on December 29, 2013, 04:29:22 PM
Good to see you around Red, hope you're doing well  :cheers:

Hi Droidy,

Yes but doing well. Work and a family are keeping me busy. Never enough time to do all the gaming I would like to do. Was considering trying to get on to Battlefront for...is it the last Saturday in the month?

Fancied blowing off some dust and sharping the skills again  ;)

February 14, 2014, 12:21:14 AM #27 Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:27:18 AM by Mac
Quote from: aeria. on December 29, 2013, 05:28:38 PM
I competely missed Red's post.

Hi Red. Sorry for bothering you so much during my middle school years. :P

Bump, because I'm nostalgic and what not.

Holy crap you're alive and kicking Aeria. Aeria and I were the first people to port SWBF II to Mac using Wine and Cider, but that's a different story for a different time. I wonder if the how to is still around somewhere. I remember my old little white macbook from 2007 could barely run the ported program. I think I have it somewhere on an external hard drive if anyone is really interested.

EDIT: Here's a little video of the SWBF II port. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y6FFaHDc58&list=UUxoKFhmgOwUngnraP_CIvDQ&index=2

I came around in 2007ish and just started playing with Minor Fawn who directed me to MacXgamers and it became kind of my second home. I joined IAS which fell apart pretty quickly afterwards, as did the clan scene compared to the older days.

I recognize a few people on this forum from old days but it looks like a lot of people have moved on in life. I did for a while starting in 2009. I played constantly from 2007 - 2009 then got busy with life and haven't had much time to play much. I find myself dying to play multiplayer right now. I don't care if it's a one on one duel, I will play you. 

There was a time where we held monthly tournaments for individual people. A good tournament would grab 10 - 12 people but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. IAS and other clans started to die down, it became harder to schedule tournaments and clan matches that people would actually show up to. A lot of this community just grew up to be honest. I admire the older guys who can balance their families, jobs, lives, and playing a little SWBF here and there.

There is a whole different side to the history of SWBF with version 1.0. If anyone remembers Yankee, he played with VS on 1.0. They had their own clans and everything. This forum isn't a complete history of SWBF, but it's a nice little piece of it. There were / are so many other forums and communities that made up SWBF. I wish I could tell you what they were but I mostly just stuck around this community as it evolved. I'm honestly surprised to see this community is still chugging along. I figured it would die out but god bless the newcomers.

Where in the world did you newcomers (2010-present) get this game? I bought mine at the Apple store because it looked "cool." Then again, any FPS looks cool to a 7th grader.

February 14, 2014, 04:40:03 AM #28 Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:45:48 AM by Gold Man
Quote from: Mac on February 14, 2014, 12:21:14 AM
Where in the world did you newcomers (2010-present) get this game? I bought mine at the Apple store because it looked "cool." Then again, any FPS looks cool to a 7th grader.

Well, I got my game from a Walmart for $7-10 I believe. Plus, I had just turned 13, leagal age to play a T-rated game, and I had wanted it for a very long time, ever since one of my friends showed it to me.

Anyways, I guess I'd better jot something down here too:

I got SWBF back in 2009, however I spent the whole year playing singleplayer. Eventually, one fateful day in August 2010, I decided to go onto multiplayer, and made a lot of good friends for a while. I made friends with people in OFSR, DX, Wusi, and a few other friends I've long forgotten. In October, I made my first clan, known as TGM (The Glitch Mafia/The Grand Mercenaries). The clan itself ran for 2 years (2010-2012), despite me and usually 1-2 other people being my members. (Nobody really stayed for long in TGM.) In January 2012, after much internal affairs, I decided to close down TGM, as at that time my buddy Shazam and I had made AoT (Army of Two). It lasted for a while, until we eventually went our own ways clan-wise. In June of that year I joined Alpha Clan, started off as a Sergeant. I have served my time as a General within the clan already, and currently reside as one of it's many Veterans.

That's just the brief version, if you want the full story you can check my bio on AoT's website: http://aotswbf.webs.com/aboutus.htm

As far as the community goes, I guess you could say I caught the last chapter of it's history. Wished I'd joined sooner, who knows what I may have encountered back then? Even so, I'm glad I joined when I did anyway, otherwise I wouldn't have made friends with the people I did. :)

Well I first got BF1 about 3 or 4 years back in the Greatest Hits of PC pack at Target. I mostly played singleplayer and finally got into one multiplayer game and that was the only game I played for a while... I had eventually uninstall BF1 off my old laptop cause of it's crappyness. When I decided to reinstall I lost the code for it so I got another game pack with BF1 and still just played singleplayer and again I uninstalled it due to my crappy old laptop. When I finally got my new laptop I decided to install BF1 and like before I lost the code, so I went to Toys R Us cause they had really great prices on jewel case Star Wars games (They don't anymore) so then I played in the last few months of BF1, and when GameSpy shut down I just only played a little of BF2, that lasted for about half a year before I found out about Tunngle on the site, and a few months later I joined the site.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."