Moving command posts and fall damage

Started by Satellite, March 21, 2009, 01:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I, once again, have several questions about several aspects of SWBF.

1. Is it possible to make a moving command building?

2. Is it possible to slow the rate at which the player falls?(jetpacks seem to counteract the force of gravity by default)

3. Is fall damage calculated from the height from which the player falls or is it calculated from the speed at which the player is falling?

4. Is it possible make an object that moves other than through an animation?
"I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I'd planned. It would continue falling into that starry expanse, of which I had only a fleeting glimpse..."

1. Yes, like an AT-AT? You can, but you have to drive it, or one of the AI does. I don't believe SWBF1 has automatic piloting.

2. Not to my knowledge.

3. Height, since everything falls at the same speed.

4. Yes, since animations are just visual cues to tell you that something is moving. I don't exactly know how, though. The only way I can think of is to make a unit go faster than the animation can go, so that it just slides.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

1) Yes, JK is right. Anything with a "commandwalker" type in the odf is a movable command post

2) Jetpacks can do this. JK: The exact gravity counteract is a setting (gravity for some reason is 20.0???). The Jetjump property is how much you get when the jet is started. JetPush is the constant while the jet is running. At a 20 Jetpush, you would move as if in space. Above that, you go up all the time. Below that, it's a slowed fall

3) I believe it is height, but there is a damage multiplier defined in the unit ODF. This is set to 0 on all jet units, which is why they can't get hurt from falling.

4) Animations make the image of the building move, but it cannot change it's coordinates on the map. So, there is no real way to move it.

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

...ZE can't animate. Only XSI can.

Jedikiller: The main problem I have with command vehicles is that the AI won't have a clue as to what to do in the context I'm using the command posts in(I'm trying to make a map that involves parachuting from a plane). I was hoping to make the command post follow a set path. Oh well.

The_Pi: I believe I did not encounter this 'slowed fall' effect before because I forgot to change the JetEffect from 'Hover' to 'Darktrooper_jetpack'. Oops... Sorry for wasting your time typing that out...

I think the fall damage is calculated from the speed of the object(or at least it would make more sense in the following context)- I jumped my normal trooper off a 200m cliff, then activated its jetpack just before hitting the ground, so its health was reduced by half, as opposed to dying instantly.
"I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I'd planned. It would continue falling into that starry expanse, of which I had only a fleeting glimpse..."

Quote from: "Satellite"I think the fall damage is calculated from the speed of the object(or at least it would make more sense in the following context)- I jumped my normal trooper off a 200m cliff, then activated its jetpack just before hitting the ground, so its health was reduced by half, as opposed to dying instantly.

Most likely the damage is a mix of our ideas. The jetpack lowers speed but height remains constant. The fall damage also is affected by the ODF setting

In regard to the moving plane, I can get the AI to run a set path, but the problem is how to get it up in the first place. I found an object type "commandhover" that might be able to handle it. All we have to do is get it off the ground on first spawn and it will do what I want it to do

I have to go for dinner but I'll explain a bit more later