QA Testers Wanted

Started by SleepKiller, June 30, 2013, 06:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
For those of you who don't know QA stands for quality assurance. What do I want with quality assurance testers? Well that is a fine question there son. Allow me to explain. I am currently in planning stages for a new map, but rather than just make something and not give it to anyone till release I want to be getting feedback from a few people during development.

Now rather than the full blown industry QA people I simply want five or so people who will play the map and tell me if it was fun. If it wasn't, what could be changed to make it fun? If it was fun what could be changed to make it even better? That sort of thing, I'm not looking for people to roam the map to find bugs. (You can be assured in the early builds there will be plenty.)

The map will have spaceships, tanks, infantry and explosions. Sound cool? No? Did I mention the spaceships included capital ships? Now it is sounding cool right. It will also have custom sides built from the ground up for balance and fun. (And a bunch of other cool stuff we'll get into later.)

I am only looking for five testers currently. As the map progresses more may be added. Answer this questioner for me if you're interested. (Ideally I'm looking for a mixture of people so answer them honestly please! There are no right answers here.)

Can you provide good in-depth explanations on something that could be done to make a map better?

How well do you understand SWBF's limitations?

What are your computer's specifications ? (Go Start>Run and type DXDiag to bring them up if you're unsure.)

Have you modded SWBF before?

Do you enjoy playing normal SWBF?

Would you be able to join in multiplayer test sessions on Tunngle?

June 30, 2013, 06:57:11 PM #1 Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:36:57 PM by Kit Fisto
Here are my answers to your questions.

Quote from: SleepKiller on June 30, 2013, 06:50:30 PM
Can you provide good in-depth explanations on something that could be done to make a map better?
Yes! You should know and if you don't believe me just look at my SWBF celebration/expansion post.  ;)

I think pretty well now. I've learned a lot so I think I can safely say I won't suggest stuff that isn't possible in SWBFI.

What are your computer's specifications ? (Go Start>Run and type DXDiag to bring them up if you're unsure.)

Um I can run SWBFI at full settings. I don't think my Specs apply since I'm on a Mac. I can pull them up if you want though. :D

EDIT: Specs.

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 5 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

With lots of help, yes. I have made mission.lvl's for addon maps and 4 OC skin mods.

Yes! In fact I love stock sides more than the best modded sides. I love all the stock maps and I appreciate Battlefront without mods.

(I better not be kicked off for this but) At the moment? No. But I can test the mod through LAN with my brother.

I hope I can do this, I enjoy testing mods and helping with the production. Especially if it makes the mod better. :cheers:

My answers seem kind of lame but I can assure you that I will excess at your first question.

June 30, 2013, 07:11:44 PM #2 Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:17:50 PM by Honey Badger
I can be a tester if you want, I'm on my phone so I might not be able to go that indept on the questions... 1. Yeah 2. Quite a bit, I know most stuff 3. I can run SWBF on max settings, but I'm on phone right now so I don't know the specifictations 4. Yes, I've made many common.lvl, side.lvl, bes.lvl, shell.lvl, core.lvl, mission.lvl, and load.lvl mods before. 5. Sometimes, when I get bored of mods I go back to it, but I haven't played without one mod in months. 6. Yes, just give me dates.

I'm interested.

1. When I put my mind to it.
2. For the most part.
3. I have no clue and what you said to type doesn't work.
4. I have tried too, but I failed miserably.
5. Yes.
6. Nope, but if you make a Openspy server I'm in.

If you want me I will be glad to help, but if you find me as a weird, annoying moron, I don't need to. ;)

The map sounds like a LOT of fun.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

June 30, 2013, 07:53:53 PM #4 Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 08:24:34 PM by {Alpha}Gold Man
Here's my answers:
[spoiler]
I can provide some pretty good explanations, more or less point out pros and cons about maps, as well as give decent feedback.
I have a fair understanding, not a modder's understanding, but a pretty decent one that won't request something impossible.
You might need to read my "Laptop Issues" thread (first post), to get my specs. Unsure of graphics card, AMD Turion X2 64-bit processor, 64-bit Vista Home Premium, not sure what else you need, though the Laptop Issues thread has my specs there.
I haven't modded SWBF before, though I have played mods before.
Eh, it's fun to sometimes play it vanilla, no modded skins or anything, just regular HUD and all.
My Tunngle works, yes, I think I would be able to, will depend on times of course.
[/spoiler]

July 01, 2013, 12:09:38 AM #5 Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:27:02 AM by «ΙΞ¢KØ»
as much as i would like to help you guys or make some contribution, im afraid i am quite ignorant to the swbf modding (and dont see much point in learning it now this late in the game).

on the other hand if ur not a calm and patient person not sure i would enjoy workin with ya
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

Quote from: «ΙΞ¢KØ» on July 01, 2013, 12:09:38 AM
as much as i would like to help you guys or make some contribution, im afraid i am quite ignorant to the swbf modding (and dont see much point in learning it now this late in the game).
Is English your first language? Because I don't think you understood my post properly. If it is your first language, I would suggest you go back and re-read it.

Also guys I forgot to mention this isn't first come first serve, I'll pick whoever I think will help provide a wide range of feedback.

Just play, for fun, and no bug reports? That's most easy testing, I cud imagine...

QuoteCan you provide good in-depth explanations on something that could be done to make a map better?
Making map better, is my favorite thing to do, but... can I correct explain that? Not sure... English isn't my first langage anyway :P.
QuoteHow well do you understand SWBF's limitations?
Mostly, try to understand it... But, I like things, far beyond the limits anyway, so do not care about the limits too much :P.
QuoteWhat are your computer's specifications ? (Go Start>Run and type DXDiag to bring them up if you're unsure.)
I didn't spot such buttons on my PC (have no idea, how it still works), but I may say, it well enough, to handle with my beauty maps.
QuoteHave you modded SWBF before?
Hmm... Let me think about it... Actualy, that's what I do all the time! 8)
QuoteDo you enjoy playing normal SWBF?
Sure.
QuoteWould you be able to join in multiplayer test sessions on Tunngle?
No way. After official support of DC was over, any on-line things, are forever restricted for me.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

July 01, 2013, 09:56:54 AM #8 Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:16:15 AM by {PLA}gdh92
I would like to help if you want me. :)
My answers;
[spoiler]Can you provide good in-depth explanations on something that could be done to make a map better?
Yes, I think...

Very well from a players point of view, I think I have about 150 mod maps so I have seen a lot achieved but there's still a few limitations sadly.

What are your computer's specifications ?
Manufacturer: Custom built
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Hard Drive: 1 TB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
Motherboard: Asus P8P67

I have played around with some of the mod tools but couldn't get them working well enough to do anything serious so I'll say no. Ironically I have helped a few people get their tools working. :)

I only play unmodded battlefront online unless it's a server mod so no one has an advantage but in single player I like as much variety as possible, that's why mods are so good - they bring new things to every game and mean you can still find something you haven't tried before years after the games release.

Yes and I can do Openspy or GR.[/spoiler]
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

July 01, 2013, 10:09:30 AM #9 Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:44:12 AM by Shazam
I'm interested!

[spoiler]
Yes. I have played several mod maps and I have become very picky about the small details. (Not to the point of discouraging a map or mod, though.)

I have been modding for over a year now, so I have found that some things are impossible to do. (but that doesn't mean you can't get pretty darn close!)

I'm not sure what all you need, but I am looking at my System Properties right now.

Windows Edition: Windows Vista Home Premium
Model: Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC
System type: 32-bit OS

Yes, for a little over a year now. I have modded sides, mission, core, common, shell, and I have skinned worlds.

I enjoy playing normal SWBF, but I prefer playing it customized. (mostly because I have gotten used to it)

Depending on the time, yes. If I know in advance when the test sessions will be then I can try to be there.[/spoiler]

I'd love to!

[spoiler]
QuoteCan you provide good in-depth explanations on something that could be done to make a map better?
Sure can!

QuoteHow well do you understand SWBF's limitations?
Far too well..

QuoteWhat are your computer's specifications ? (Go Start>Run and type DXDiag to bring them up if you're unsure.)
Well, I'm not sure what all you want to see from DXDiag.. But my Utapau map works for me so it must be good. :P

QuoteHave you modded SWBF before?
Hmm..

QuoteDo you enjoy playing normal SWBF?
I do but I like playing mods/maps more.

QuoteWould you be able to join in multiplayer test sessions on Tunngle?
I uninstalled Tunngle. :/[/spoiler]
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

July 01, 2013, 03:31:43 PM #11 Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:37:24 PM by Kit Fisto
Ok I edited my first post in this thread.  ;)