[HELP] Random ZE stuff I never learned about

Started by Snake, April 21, 2010, 03:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I need some help with some stuff in ZeroEditor that I never learned what they did. It is probably simple but I just need to know how to put them in and what they do.

Stuff I need to learn:

Cylinder (A Region
AllyPath (In labeling CP's - Maybe has to do with cylinder?)
Hint Nodes (An option tab in ZE - I think this is how you tell them to lay down or lay mines.)
Barrier (An option tab in ZE)
Boundary (An option tab in ZE - I suppose this is the battlefield boundary)
Planning (An option tab in ZE - no idea)

I think that is all. More advanced little options I don't really need. Please help if you can!
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on April 21, 2010, 03:15:47 PM
I need some help with some stuff in ZeroEditor that I never learned what they did. It is probably simple but I just need to know how to put them in and what they do.

Stuff I need to learn:

Cylinder (A Region
AllyPath (In labeling CP's - Maybe has to do with cylinder?)
Hint Nodes (An option tab in ZE - I think this is how you tell them to lay down or lay mines.)
Barrier (An option tab in ZE)
Boundary (An option tab in ZE - I suppose this is the battlefield boundary)
Planning (An option tab in ZE - no idea)

I think that is all. More advanced little options I don't really need. Please help if you can!
Any shape can be used for any type of region I believe, I've tried it

AllyPath - no idea, I assume it does nothing of importance

HintNodes - your explanation explained it

Barrier - self explanatory, it makes a barrier. For some reason these never worked for me though.

Boundary - the battlefield boundary, turn it into a circle the size of your playing field and place it so the playing field is inside of it.

Planning is the bot pathing, it's relatively easy to figure out, jus tmake hubs and connect them together to tell the bots where to go

Oh ok, well how do I put hint nodes in? I will test with the boundary and planning. This could really help with my map BD thanks!
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

AllyPath is used for locals to spawn that are allies with the team of that cp
There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

I recall psychofred writing that for most maps, you don't need to worry too much about planning.  Usually just setting up the appropriate barriers on your map to prevent the AI bots from stupidly wandering into obstacles or death regions is enough to get the bots to their destination.  That said, barriers don't always seem to behave the way you think they ought to - I've set up barriers in my BofC map and was constantly befuddled that the AI would ignore them completely (they seemed to be overridden by another factor like a possible CP that they wanted to capture regardless of the barrier that should've told them to go in another direction).

For barriers, also use the alpha and the height to make it easier to see how they interact with your map. As mentioned, barriers are 2D only and so you adjust the height to whatever level on your map that the units are running on e.g. just tall enough that they are half-transparent walls around you and not so high that the barriers end up obscuring your view of the map or so low that you don't know where the barriers intersect the map.