I might make a space map

Started by Snake, April 09, 2010, 01:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Well guys, I need some ideas. I have never done a space map before but I was thinking about making a map with more than one capitol ship and have them in layers sort of. Where you can dive through them and fight hundreds of ships at a time. Ofcourse Id need help getting the vehicles in since I have never successfully done it..  :dry: Here is what I will base it on.

if anyone could link me to models and things that would help witht his please feel free :)
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Sorry but this is almost impossible in BF, to make a challenging one that is where the aiv actually does stuff. i tired for like 2 months. If you want to play a fun game with hundreds of fighters and crossfire go to google and type battle of endor game.

maybe but it will be good for tournaments and stuff. And fun to play on anyway.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

this would be a cool map hope u can make it

that would be a difficult space map to make considering how HUGE capital ships are, but it would be worth trying to make, since to my knowledge no one has ever made a space map that epic before.
There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

QuoteWhere you can dive through them and fight hundreds of ships at a time.
Did you just say hundreds of ships at a time?!? Umm that woould put quite a strain on most computers, baybe downscale to 10-20 fighters per team...
For some ideas you might want to try playing napseekers Battle over Coruscant map http://rapidshare.com/files/300823308/91st_Assault_BofC_beta1.rar
or the naboo space map BLOCK (unsure of link)
Neither has more than 2 capital ships per team, but are still very fun.

Considering Napseeker and Others (Rends i think?) have already put it up to the standards the limits however aren't far SWBF isn't a strong engine, and it isn't designed for space battle, Platforms is its real limit on optimized space battle.
so when saying you want something thats like whats in the movie, unless you can make the effects a ship makes AMAZINGLY action filled, and even that wouldn't bring all computers to running it, you won't get anything like the movies, as Jon said with anything close to 100+ ships your going to kill the engine basically the AI would sit around in the hanger/crash into it on take off, or eachother, in space they would crash into eachother all over (tho that might not be horrible) but realistically it will not come out like the movie in any way.

The number of capital ships can however be raised. but that again just lowers the number of ships fighting eachother because you'll have like 10 bots flying for each team and 5 will be around each ship, negating the fact that there are multiple capital ships.

You have to consider, the reason that space battles are intersting isn't because you have a million things to dodge and have tons of ships around shooting you, its mainly only going to be played SP, and rarely online for the online you want more interesting battle fields, honestly the SWBF2 Battlfields in space absolutely suck...then again thats what it would really be like so i can't fault them for being realistic to the movies, i'd say make a very "large" seeming ship thats detailed that you can wave around, put in astroids and such that make the space seem smaller or give you something to avoid/use as cover.

anyway thats my two cents for what its worth- its 2 something AM so take what you will from it...
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

You might have better luck doing a project like this for swbf2, which already has pretty entertaining space battles IMO.  Having so many masses of fighters defeats the piont of space combat, in which you actually have to attack the enemy's capital ship.  If all you want is a massive battle with fighters flying around into eachother, just mega size Platforms.  And just so you know, someone has already made a map, Kashyyyk air, in which there is only air combat.  It turned out pretty booring.  So just rethink what you really want to make out of this map and if what you want to do is reasonable.

I didn't mean exactly like the movie. I said I would "base" it on the movie. I might not even do this. If I was it would be like 4 or 5 capitols and I could raise the ai count. If they crash....so what? That will happen in any map.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Ur pics make me feel liked im being SPAMED that tells u that the vechiles might be to big