Linux hosting for Steam

Started by {AR}MetalKiller, March 12, 2023, 02:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 12, 2023, 02:45:23 PM Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 03:30:53 AM by {AR}MetalKiller Reason: State intent less confusing
Hi,

The AR clan tries to host a server for Steam.
Since we host on Linux we use wine.
Starting the Battlefront executable (from GOG) with the following options causes a page fault:
wine Battlefront.exe /win /norender /autonet dedicated /noaim /resolution 200 200 /nosound /gamename "..." rhn2a 200 200

The interesting thing here is that the server starts without the /norender option.
wine Battlefront.exe /win /autonet dedicated /noaim /resolution 200 200 /nosound /gamename "..." rhn2a 200 200
But as we use wine, the server takes >5min and 100% CPU usage over the whole time period (granted we don't have such a powerful machine).

Attached you find a crash log, but I doubt that it will help.

Any idea why the /norender option might cause a crash?

Note: Wine was the only thing running on the server.

Cheers!

EDIT: Remove misleading text.

March 12, 2023, 05:59:51 PM #1 Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 06:02:34 PM by Led
Just to make sure since your title says 'steam'; do you want to host on SWBFspy or Steam?

If SWBFspy, Are you using the dedicated server software?

edit:  I think you are using the dedicated server software.  I don't think norender is a valid command for that.  norender is for the disk version so that the graphics don't show up when hosting a dedicated server with the disk version.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I made an edit in the original post to avoid confusion.

We want to host a dedicated server for the steam version (through the battlefront executable).
The /norender option is definitely in the executable.

So if you are not using the dedicated server software then norender will be in the executable.  However, I don't find it surprising that it is not supported since it is 1.3 beta executable modified to support GoG.

Dark Phantom may have more insight.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

The /norender option works on a local Windows machine.
To me, it makes no sense that it crashes with this option, since in theory it requires less resources and uses fewer features than the render mode.

Thanks anyway!
We update the thread if we find out more.

Wine is a fickle beast and whoever created the wrapper probably didn't test every option for BF1.  I've only tested all those flags on Windows.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

The next best thing would be to mod the game and make all textures black at 1x1 pixels, plus set near scene/far scene values to 0 so it doesn't show anything.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

Quote from: {AR}MetalKiller on March 12, 2023, 02:45:23 PMHi,

The AR clan tries to host a server for Steam.
Since we host on Linux we use wine.
Starting the Battlefront executable (from GOG) with the following options causes a page fault:
wine Battlefront.exe /win /norender /autonet dedicated /noaim /resolution 200 200 /nosound /gamename "..." rhn2a 200 200

The interesting thing here is that the server starts without the /norender option.
wine Battlefront.exe /win /autonet dedicated /noaim /resolution 200 200 /nosound /gamename "..." rhn2a 200 200
But as we use wine, the server takes >5min and 100% CPU usage over the whole time period (granted we don't have such a powerful machine).

Attached you find a crash log, but I doubt that it will help.

Any idea why the /norender option might cause a crash?

Note: Wine was the only thing running on the server.

Cheers!

EDIT: Remove misleading text.

Which version of Wine are you guys using on that Linux machine?

I did some tests:

Proton 7.0.6 (Steam) = Crash like you described
Wine-GE (https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom) = Works and no crash
newest vanilla Wine staging (8.2) = Works and no crash

Yeah, I just created an account to post this lmao :D.

March 18, 2023, 04:04:08 AM #8 Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 05:15:33 AM by {AR}MetalKiller
QuoteYeah, I just created an account to post this lmao :D.

Worth it ;)

QuoteWhich version of Wine are you guys using on that Linux machine?

We are still on Ubuntu 14.4 as the owner is afraid of a dist upgrade :D . Hence we use wine 3.6.

Quotehttps://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom

I used the latest release (wine-5.12-15725-g5158be50b9b) which also crashes with /norender, but works without it.

Thank you very much for your response!
I'll try my best to convince the owner to upgrade.