Memory/Engine Limitations Fixed | Enhanced Gameplay & Graphics Mod V3

Started by Antstafer, August 27, 2022, 09:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello everyone, hope you're doing well.

Presented here today are fixes to limitations that were forever thought to be impossible to alter.
Limitations which even the greatest minds in the Battlefront modding community haven't been able to fix in over 15 years.

Through many, many hours of rigorous testing and troubleshooting, we are happy to finally say we've done the impossible.

Here's a list of what we've accomplished so far and plan to complete-

Quote- Fix model memory limitation (Low res units fix) - Completed
~This fixes the jarring switch out of hi-res unit models/animations to their low-res counterparts. In vanilla, the max hi-res units you can have around you is 3 at a time. This limitation is removed, allowing for hundreds of hi-res units on screen at once with hi-res animations. No more tumble-weed troops!

- RedEngine Memory Increase- Completed
~Along with playing a role in fixing the model memory, we have raised the memory allowed by RedEngine as a whole, which allows for over 500 million polygons on screen. We have tested this with un-optimized BF2 2017 models with 400 troops, and it doesn't break a sweat! This fix opens up the door for modders to go ham and create beautiful hi-poly assets and effects for the game.

- Raise the total working AI count allowed on the maps-  Completed  ✅
~Though vanilla has no real limitation on the number of units that can spawn on a map, the max amount of active units total is capped at around 100, however. On larger maps, this causes 50 or so units on each team to stand around doing nothing until they reach their place in the queue. We have done away with this limitation, and now all units are able to be activated by the AI system!

- Command more than 2 AI with the 'Follow Me' key-  Completed
~Ever wish you could command more than 2 units? Well we did, which is why you can now command 8 units! Now you can finally lead a decent sized raid-party to capture those enemy CPs.

- Fix Crouch glitch in steam version-  Completed  ✅
~Have you been playing the Steam version of Battlefront and noticed the crouch button sometimes making you go prone? This annoying bug is now fixed!

- Fix Effects Limitation (explosions, blaster fire, etc)-  Completed
~Raises the total number of allowed effects on screen (blaster fire, explosions, water splash impacts, etc).

- Zero Editor Memory fix- Completed
~A good fix for you modders out there who want to edit a map without having to offload your textures and models. We have created our own 'HD' patch for Zero Editor that allows you to load maps with higher resolution textures without it crashing. Saves a lot of time!

- Increase Vehicle limit-  Completed
~In vanilla you can have a max of around 20 vehicles on a map. We have removed this limitation, allowing for massive air and tank battles.

- Fix limitation on foliage distance/amount- Completed
~Raises the distance at which foliage can appear on screen. Naboo: Plains now has big lush fields!

- Fix limitation on decal distance- Completed
~Raises the distance at which decals ( like terrain burns ) can appear on screen, and the amount. Watch as the battlefield progressively gets more destroyed!

Limitations to Complete-

- Fix Sound Memory Limitation ⌛

- Increase AI Shooting distance / Aggro distance ⌛

- Fix Hub/Node limitation that causes some AI to not follow a path ⌛

-Allow more than 200 Units per team. ⌛

Potential Future Fixes-
-Fix Multiplayer Limitations❔
- Add the 6th Unit Class ❔
- Add Custom Galactic Conquest ❔

- - - - - - - - - -

Future Additions to Complete-

Due to the fact so many limitations have been removed from the game, we are aiming to completely overhaul the game's graphics, which includes Hi-Res vehicle and unit models, as well as higher poly models for buildings.

❗MODDERS WANTED❗
If you or someone you know would like to help out with this endeavor, please reach out to me.

To keep up to date, please visit our Discord

It should be stressed that, so far, this only applies to Steam/GOG versions of the game. HOWEVER, since this has been done it's bound to be translatable at some stage to the legacy (CD/DVD) versions of the game. I believe Dark_Phantom is angling towards something like this with those versions of the game.

I was actually kinda pontificating over a potential HD 'remaster' version of Star Wars: Battlefront of my own in the future. This sort of thing makes it much more plausible. So, good work!
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

This is incredible. I already have ideas for my own mod maps based on these new extended limits.
Never let a person named AnthonyBF2 touch your BF2.

I had no idea this was going on, or even possible. Amazing work. :cheers:
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

wow amazing work to anstafer and his team. can you pm me how you did this ? i would like to test something on my mod.  amazing work again :cheer:
someone give this man and his team the master modders status.
mods and maps in progress:<br />--Bf1 expanded edition 3.0 version
-- bf1 tcw battles
-- bf1 seasons mod season 1
-- bf2 expanded edition tbh

Great job!
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

very very impressed. does this work with steam version 1.2? i reverted back to that after the game was patched to death, it's the initial steam release vers.
good to see BF1 getting this treatment. it's just a much better game than the second, which feels more like a party game.

Quote from: blob on September 03, 2022, 11:21:04 PMvery very impressed. does this work with steam version 1.2? i reverted back to that after the game was patched to death, it's the initial steam release vers.
good to see BF1 getting this treatment. it's just a much better game than the second, which feels more like a party game.

I don't believe so at current, no.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

Congratulations! This looks amazing  :cheers:
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Giftheck on September 05, 2022, 01:02:33 AMI don't believe so at current, no.
am i the only one who finds that the steam version was ruined since the mp patch? not only referring to the forced fov / removal of 4:3 res, other things as well. not to mention incompatibility with at least 1 serejas map.

Quote from: blob on September 06, 2022, 05:41:38 PMam i the only one who finds that the steam version was ruined since the mp patch? not only referring to the forced fov / removal of 4:3 res, other things as well. not to mention incompatibility with at least 1 serejas map.

This is the hill I stand on every day, I'm glad I don't stand there alone.
:)
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on September 06, 2022, 05:53:53 PMThis is the hill I stand on every day, I'm glad I don't stand there alone.
:)
good thing somebody backed up the vers. 1.2 files. not sure if gog version of the game has rollback, since gog has that feature. will look for a retail copy online eventually.
the shitty thing is people welcomed the updates. sure, it was cool to play online for a month. beyond that, it was all wrong. i recall the very first update being harmless though.

I'm happy I still have my CD version of SWBF1.
In Progress:

On Hold:

After a grueling year and a half of vigorous work, the EGM team is proud to finally present V3 of the Enhanced Gameplay & Graphics Mod.

This humongous update includes not only many memory limitation fixes, but also completely remastered unit and vehicle models as well as effects.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Modifications & Fixed Limitations-

• Realistic Damage. 1-3 hits kills, depending on distance, type of unit and radius.
  • Larger Battle Sizes for each level depending on what it is.(I.e, Geonosis will have more units on the battlefield as opposed to Bespin: Platforms)
  • New 'Enhanced' maps. These include HD textures, longer draw distances, Expanded mapspace, more decorations, etc. These do not replace the vanilla maps, but are added alongside them for those who prefer to play the classics.
  • Remastered HD Unit and Vehicle models
  • FOV Increase for all units and vehicles.
  • HD Textures for units and effects
  • Hi-Res shadows for all models
  • New Immersive Sounds (From Giftheck's amazing Visual Sides mod)
  • Blasterbeams move faster and go much farther
  • Blasterbeams now have a destructive impact effect like in the movies
  • Firing while moving is very inaccurate, and crouch/prone is more accurate than standing.
  • Rocket launchers now have a bigger blast/push radius. You can now send units flying in a raw display of power >:).
  • Explosions from vehicles are semi-deadly, and knock back units.
  • Sticky grenades can stick to troops and have more of an effect on troops.
  • 'Special Units' such as the Imperial Jet Trooper, Wookies, and Republic Jet Troopers are harder to take down compared to regular troops.
  • Vehicles are stronger, and tanks now live up to the name
  • Jedi/Sith can now die and block blaster fire
  • Each heavy weapon troop from each faction carries a machine gun, but moves slower (except for CIS, since they have droidekas).
  • Units generally move faster than they did in vanilla.
  • AI Units now use the 'prone' position when taking cover, and hide in clever defensive spots waiting for the unsuspecting player to pass by. They also lay mines in unexpecting areas as well. (ENHANCED-MAPS-ONLY FEATURE!)
  • Free Camera Mode added to the options menu
  • Vehicles and all grenades now use the large water splash effect when shooting water

Fixed Limitations-

Fixed model memory limitation (Low res units fix)
This fixes the jarring switch out of hi-res unit models/animations to their low-res counterparts. In vanilla, the max hi-res units you can have around you is 8 at a time. This limitation is removed, allowing for hundreds of hi-res units on screen at once with hi-res animations. No more tumble-weed troops!

RedEngine Memory Increase
Along with playing a role in fixing the model memory, we have raised the memory allowed by RedEngine as a whole, which allows for over 500 million polygons on screen. We have tested this with High LOD BF2 2017 models with over 400 troops, and it doesn't break a sweat! This fix opens up the door for modders to go ham and create beautiful hi-poly assets and effects for the game.

Raised the total working AI count allowed on the maps
Though vanilla has no real limitation on the number of units that can spawn on a map, the max amount of active units total is capped at around 100, however. On larger maps, this causes 50 or so units on each team to stand around doing nothing until they reach their place in the queue. We have done away with this limitation, and now all units are able to be activated by the AI system!

Command more than 2 AI with the 'Follow Me' key
Ever wish you could command more than 2 units? Well we did, which is why you can now command up to 8 units! Now you can finally lead a decent sized raid-party to capture those enemy CPs.

Fixed Crouch glitch in steam version
Have you been playing the Steam version of Battlefront and noticed the crouch button sometimes making you go prone? This annoying bug is now fixed!

Fixed Effects Limitation (explosions, blaster fire, etc)
Raises the total number of allowed effects on screen (blaster fire, explosions, water splash impacts, etc).

Zero Editor Memory fix
A good fix for you modders out there who want to edit a map without having to offload your textures and models. We have created our own 'HD' patch for Zero Editor that allows you to load maps with higher resolution textures without it crashing. Saves a lot of time!

Increased Vehicle limit
In vanilla you can have a max of around 20 vehicles on a map. We have removed this limitation, allowing for massive air and tank battles.

Fixed limitation on foliage distance/amount
Raises the distance at which foliage can appear on screen.

Fixed limitation on decal distance
Raises the distance at which decals ( like terrain burns ) can appear on screen, and the amount. Watch as the battlefield progressively gets more destroyed!

Fixed Sound Memory Limitation
Raises the number of SFX channels, reducing the chance of blaster audio cutting out on large battlefields, or mods with lots of sfx.

Increased AI Shooting distance / Aggro distance
Removes the limit of which an AI can detect other AI and the player. Instead of bee-lining towards each other across the map, they will use the "Max Range" values in their weapon ODFs accordingly to account for their aggro-distance and when they will open fire. This can be seen as a true "Hard" mode, where snipers can actually target you across the map, and return fire from the same distances you can. No more will they allow themselves to be picked-off like flies to your scope!

Removed Premature LOD switching for Vehicles and Buildings
Removes the premature LOD switching for vehicles and buildings based off the number of triangles in a scene.

Potential Future Fixes-

- Fix Multiplayer Limitations ❔

- Add the 6th Unit Class ❔ 

- Add Custom Galactic Conquest ❔
- - - - - - - - - -

❗MODDERS & 3D DESIGNERS WANTED❗
If you or someone you know would like to help out with this project, please reach out to me.

To keep up to date, please visit our Discord