Any interest in Game Auto-Alerts?

Started by Led, July 01, 2018, 06:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I think it should be possible to query the Master Server and send out SMS alerts when there are a certain number of players on the servers. 

Would there be any interest on the player side for this?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I would be very interested in this :tu:.
Would this be possible for Europeans like me, too? I ask, because there would be many costs for SMS to Europa. (I don't know how expensive tolls for sms in U.S. are )

Have a nice time
Triops

Quote from: Triops on July 02, 2018, 01:08:36 AM
I would be very interested in this :tu:.
Would this be possible for Europeans like me, too? I ask, because there would be many costs for SMS to Europa. (I don't know how expensive tolls for sms in U.S. are )

Have a nice time
Triops

It's true, although in Europe it depends on roaming and whether you are sending or receiving one. I also think there might be some alternative to SMS.
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

I think, I would not have to pay, when I receive a SMS (in Austria). I have never had roaming fees for sms, but I fear there would be costs for swbfgamers.

So it could be a message or an email...I think we could work out the details if there is enough interest.   I think it could be set to only notify on certain days of the week or between certain hours, and would of course be completely optional.

Sounds like a good idea, I think email would be best. It would need to be between player selected hours and limited to one or two though so you didn't get emails all day as people logged in.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on July 02, 2018, 08:53:14 AM
Sounds like a good idea, I think email would be best. It would need to be between player selected hours and limited to one or two though so you didn't get emails all day as people logged in.

I agree. I use my avatar email and receive notifications on my smartphone very often (if someone uses Gmail, of course :P).
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

Quote from: Led on July 02, 2018, 06:06:10 AM
So it could be a message or an email...I think we could work out the details if there is enough interest.   I think it could be set to only notify on certain days of the week or between certain hours, and would of course be completely optional.
We have a tool Sonic developed long ago to get notified when you're running the application if there are X (number set by client) players in a server, and the app updates every X (seconds set by the client), for SWBF1.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

A discord bot is another way to go, and that would be a lot of fun to make..

Quote from: RepComm on July 02, 2018, 09:05:55 PM
A discord bot is another way to go, and that would be a lot of fun to make..

Sure, if you want to give it a whirl.   You may need access to the MS database--if so I will point you to DP for that info.

Yeah, let me know which way you guys want to go and we can get a test up and running - it definitely is possible according to my research to do it straight from the MS or through something like Discord.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

No time like the present to learn new things!
I'm thinking maybe the bot could mention @ingame_notify or some kind of self assignable role, so as to not annoy the whole server or channel.

I'll have a GitHub up soon with my bot code, and I'll get with you about how to stick the master server together with it.

sounds good.  Let's use the test MS for now.  Before we go live let's talk about some of the restrictions.

I have had SWBF intalled on ubuntu lately and was thinking about how nice it would be to be notified when folks join, and then ran across this old thread. I'm not sure I ever got to making something like this, but I went ahead and decided to do so.

https://github.com/RepComm/swbf-bridge

I don't have anything connecting to master servers yet, and if that is a no-go, just say so. I'll be DMing Led and Dark Phantom about setting up something secure to interface with the master server.

I thought about the obvious of simply polling the master server the same way the forum does.

What I'd like to see is a generic discord server notification bot, and after that works a direct message option for allowing individuals to set their own notifications via discord DM.

In the AR-Clan Discord we have a dedicated channel where a discord bot notifies players about our steam server.
People get notified when the map changes (the map name is shown) or a new player joins.
Additionally, we introduced 2 roles that tag people when there are more than 3 or more than 5 people on the server (tags occur only after a certain timeout i.e. 30 minutes).
We have a separate channel for moderators where the names of the players on the server are displayed.
The bot also notifies us if the server crashes.

The bot is written in Python and is publicly available: https://github.com/21stcenturyclan/SWBF-Server-Bot/

One drawback is that this bot is not universally reusable and will work only for one discord server.
Feel free to use/tweak the code, or contact us if you want to create a more generic bot.

---

I am not familiar with how the master server works, but our bot scans the memory of the battlefront executable (given by the PID) in a regular interval (every 3 seconds).
If certain values in the memory change, a new event is created and the bot executes an action (i.e. a channel message).