How to Play SWBF with new GameMaster masterserver internet option

Started by Led, May 28, 2014, 05:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
i got it sorted thanks to you guys and some others. thanks guys -

Add me on steam you piece of hairy wookie

When using GameMaster, I go in game, and after a few minutes I start lagging. And it just gradually builds into more... more lag. Eventually it just finally tells me battlefront.exe has stopped working and closes out the game.
Any help? Please? Greatly appreciated...
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: ULTIMO on May 30, 2014, 09:20:55 AM
When using GameMaster, I go in game, and after a few minutes I start lagging. And it just gradually builds into more... more lag. Eventually it just finally tells me battlefront.exe has stopped working and closes out the game.
Any help? Please? Greatly appreciated...

It seems like a local problem with your computer.  Are you overheating?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

yeah i heard ultimo gets really hot sometimes

Add me on steam you piece of hairy wookie

Quote from: Led on May 30, 2014, 09:50:29 AM
It seems like a local problem with your computer.  Are you overheating?

No. Quite infact I have checked for overheating before but my computer is the coldest piece of metal in my room...
I'm not sure what's causing this...
But I have a hunch its something that I may have accidently downloaded with another file.
I'm going to start backing things up that I want and reset my PC... maybe.

Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: Led on May 30, 2014, 07:13:05 AM
Which one are you referring to?

The one in my first post?  Then no.
So what is it ?
A bf.exe which runs not having the cd with this gamemaster thing fixed on it ??
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: Anyder on May 30, 2014, 02:08:52 PM
So what is it ?
A bf.exe which runs not having the cd with this gamemaster thing fixed on it ??

What are you getting at Anyder?

Quote from: Led on May 28, 2014, 05:27:20 PM
You need to either replace your Battlefront.exe file:

Led, are you one of the developers of GameMaster, and if not are you in close contact with the developers? I ask because this seems like the best work-around option currently and I need to know some more specific information from it.

Currently the PS2 community will have no method to play the game after it shuts down because none of the other work-around options like Tunngle or Gameranger would function because these are separate applications with downloads required. This, on the other hand, seems like a simple modification which changes the .exe and tells it to get the server list from a different address.

If it works like I think it does, then it would also would function on PS2, because we have the capability built in to change what DNS address we connect to. This method was used previously play SWBF1 on OpenSpy, and GameMaster sounds exactly like OpenSpy, but much better.

I just need to know what DNS address I should use to test out GameMaster. Any information would be appreciated.

EDIT: is it 5.230.233.61   ?

Hi Mike,

I think you found the information you need to try things out.  The developers are a German group at www.swbf3.de.  A player name Kalle has been helpful.

I am not sure everything is fully functional with GameMaster, but I suspect they can help.

I have to note that we went through this all one year ago with something called OpenSpy, but it never really worked very well for us.  So far, this seems better.

Do you play PS2 SWBF2?  If so, you may want to contact someone called "PyroJockey" .  He has some experience getting these things figured out, and has an account here you can contact him with.  Tirpider may also be able to help you.

The only thing we need is more servers (like mine) with the tps command set to 60 or more. Playing on a server with a tps of 20/30 really makes it unplayable in my book.  :(

Quote from: Led on May 31, 2014, 02:07:23 AM
Hi Mike,
I think you found the information you need to try things out.  The developers are a German group at www.swbf3.de.  A player name Kalle has been helpful.
I think I have it, but I'm not sure. I will try to contact Kalle directly on that site to get some more info, thanks.
Quote from: Led on May 31, 2014, 02:07:23 AMI have to note that we went through this all one year ago with something called OpenSpy, but it never really worked very well for us.  So far, this seems better.
Yea this looks like a similar thing hopefully, but better. Currently OpenSpy is out of date. The last update was May 1st I believe. As of that update, hosting 4-man servers from a Playstation 2 was possible on SWBF1 and 2, but they only functioned properly on SWBF1. I believe they are in need of a new C++ coder for another update. Currently OpenSpy is not properly configured to send the Server List to PS2s or PCs. GameMaster looks like it should effectively do the same thing, but better since they have more active people working on it.
Quote from: Led on May 31, 2014, 02:07:23 AMDo you play PS2 SWBF2?  If so, you may want to contact someone called "PyroJockey" .  He has some experience getting these things figured out, and has an account here you can contact him with.  Tirpider may also be able to help you.
I do indeed play, and I would hate to see GameSpy take the game away from us. I help the PS2 competitive ladder site over at: http://theswbfc.forumotion.com
I've pretty much been playing the game every day for the past 2 months. We squeezed in 1 more season before the 31st. I'm trying to keep everyone over there informed on if we'll be able to play after the shutdown. I just wish I had a testable solution sooner for everyone. I wanted to spread the word before people started to leave the community.

And yes, I know Pyro and I talk to him about this stuff  8). We're working on testing this but we've hit a roadblock for now because I'm not certain that I have the right DNS address.

Thank you for all the helpful information. I think you put me on the right track for who to ask.

Quote from: Led on May 30, 2014, 03:29:28 PM
What are you getting at Anyder?
Does it have any other modification ?
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

hi Mike. I was able to get a swbf1 no patch ps2 server up using this hosts file. So it should work for the swbf2 version. *this hosts file is for swbf1 only*. 

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
#
5.230.233.61 swbfrontps2.ms10.gamespy.com
5.230.233.61 swbfrontps2.available.gamespy.com
5.230.233.61 available.gamespy.com
5.230.233.61 master.gamespy.com
5.230.233.61 swbfrontps2.master.gamespy.com