Dark Times II Mod not working

Started by jthaze, January 31, 2017, 11:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
So, I tried to install the dark times II mod on my computer, but it isn't working.  I have a MacBook air 2016 and I am using wine.  I used the video tutorial put out by Kit Fisto, but something is off.  When I go to instant action, the maps from Dark Times II are there, but the text is yellow.  When I try to click on them to add, I can't.  I don't know if I am missing a file or if I just installed it wrong.  I think there is supposed to be a new campaign too, but that isn't showing up either.  Help would be greatly appreciated.  I will attach some pictures.

Thanks guys, you all rock.
When it comes to video games....

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

Quote from: CommanderHazard on January 31, 2017, 06:58:28 PM
Do you have the 1.3 patch?

I think that is what is in the folder picture I showed, so yes.

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

Hey! I'm glad you're trying out DT2, it's such a good mod!

It looks like you have the old 1.3 patch installed I believe. I would go ahead and install this version and replace the AAA folder, we'll see if that solves your problem. Don't worry replacing the AAA add-on folder won't change anything about DT2 (it looks like you have that installed correctly).
http://www.mediafire.com/?pzznah47785jabb

Be sure to replace not only the new AAA add-on folder, but also the files in the new data/_lvl_pc folder.

Let me know if that fixes it!

Also the new camping is accessed through Galactic Conquest, your screenshots were too small for me to see if you have that already or not.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on February 01, 2017, 09:42:22 PM

It looks like you have the old 1.3 patch installed I believe. I would go ahead and install this version and replace the AAA folder, we'll see if that solves your problem. Don't worry replacing the AAA add-on folder won't change anything about DT2 (it looks like you have that installed correctly).

Be sure to replace not only the new AAA add-on folder, but also the files in the new data/_lvl_pc folder.

Also the new camping is accessed through Galactic Conquest, your screenshots were too small for me to see if you have that already or not.

Kit Fisto!!  Thank you for your help.  I will try that today if I have time and will post back on success or failure. 

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

Quote from: Kit Fisto on February 01, 2017, 09:42:22 PM

Ok, so I downloaded the new 1.3 patch that you gave me and I installed it like how you did, but it still doesn't work.  When I downloaded it, there was the (1) behind it which meant I had downloaded it before, so I am not sure if this is the issue.  It also might be because I didn't really understand what you meant when you said this.

"Be sure to replace not only the new AAA add-on folder, but also the files in the new data/_lvl_pc folder. "

I really think that I messed something up earlier in the set-up process, but I can't be sure.  I have several screen shots that show where everything is.  I can still play the vanilla version (but the game now takes a lot longer to load for some reason).  One thing that makes it tough to follow what your video says is that I didn't use a disk to install SWBFII.  I had it on a flash drive and it did not contain the setup.exe.  If I need to just start over and do it differently I am willing to give it a shot.  Hopefully the screenshots will say something about where I messed up along the way (There are several).

Thank you again for your help and time in figuring this out.  I really appreciate it.

If you have any questions about the screenshots, hopefully I can answer those too.

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

Ok I think it's best if you just delete everything and start fresh haha. You almost have it but it'll be easier and your computer won't have as many files on it. Basically if you can run the vanilla game you're good. It's just the process of getting the files in the right spot.

NOTE: You don't have to delete the port itself. Just the "Lucasarts" folder with all the game contents.

So follow the instructions in this video of installing the normal game (which it looks like you know how to do since you got it working before).

Then skip to 10:10 where I go through how to install DT2 and the 1.3 patch. Make sure you left the vanilla game in the folder you're running Wine too so it installs it all correctly for you. Then keep watching as I install the 1.3 patch. Make sure your file directory looks like how mine does in the video.

It should work for you after that. Let me know if it doesn't.

This is how your map selection screen should appear (minus the non-DT maps, those are just other addon maps I have).
[spoiler][/spoiler]

This is how the Galactic Conquest menu should look.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Hope that helped.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on February 16, 2017, 03:42:17 PM
Ok I think it's best if you just delete everything and start fresh haha. You almost have it but it'll be easier and your computer won't have as many files on it. Basically if you can run the vanilla game you're good. It's just the process of getting the files in the right spot.

NOTE: You don't have to delete the port itself. Just the "Lucasarts" folder with all the game contents.

So follow the instructions in this video of installing the normal game (which it looks like you know how to do since you got it working before).

Then skip to 10:10 where I go through how to install DT2 and the 1.3 patch. Make sure you left the vanilla game in the folder you're running Wine too so it installs it all correctly for you. Then keep watching as I install the 1.3 patch. Make sure your file directory looks like how mine does in the video.

It should work for you after that. Let me know if it doesn't.

This is how your map selection screen should appear (minus the non-DT maps, those are just other addon maps I have).
[spoiler][/spoiler]

This is how the Galactic Conquest menu should look.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Hope that helped.

Thank you for spending time trying to figure out all my mistakes, greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I just left for a long trip in Europe and I did not bring my copy on the flash drive I have  :mad:.  Knowing that, is there a way I can get the game off the internet or can I still use the copy I have in the port?  It just left my mind when I was packing.

I think that doing it all over again is the way to go, so thank you for showing me the important steps and things to look for.  If I can't use the copy I have right now on my computer, I might just wait until I get home.  That will be in May, but I don't mind playing just the regular game until then  :D

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

Ok hopefully this will solve it. I've attached the contents I believe you need.

Take all the contents in the download and place it in your "_lvl_pc" folder. Replace all the contents.

That should fix it!

Whoop Whoop!!!  We are in business!  The Dark Times II Mod works great!  Thank you for your help!  :moo:

Ok, this might be getting a little greedy, but I really want to get those SWBF I maps that you showed in the video.  The link that you used to get the files is no longer on that site... is there a place where I can get them?

Thank you for your help again Kit Fisto.  :tu:  :cheer:

Also, the mistake I made was at the very beginning and it is something that you mention throughout the entire video... make sure you run EVERYTHING in wine into the same place.  All of the mods went to the same place, but not the actual game.

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

Yay! I'm glad to hear it! Hopefully you love DT2 as much as I do! (I've had the mod for years, still play it on the regular)

Here's another link for Marvel4's (excellent) conversion pack. It says you have to register for the site, I couldn't find any straight up download links, sorry. (I have to say this conversion pack is also a permanent on my SWBFII copy, I play those maps all the time)

[spoiler]http://www.nexusmods.com/battlefront2/mods/663/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fbattlefront2%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D663&pUp=1[/spoiler]

Let me know if that works for you.
I've updated the link in the video as well.

Quote from: jthaze on February 22, 2017, 10:14:51 AM
Also, the mistake I made was at the very beginning and it is something that you mention throughout the entire video... make sure you run EVERYTHING in wine into the same place.  All of the mods went to the same place, but not the actual game.
Haha yeah I figured as much. It's an easy step to miss but if not followed, basically ruins everything.

I'm happy to help!

[spoiler]Also as an aside idk if you still have the "BDT" folder in your _lvl_pc folder but you can delete that. Just don't delete anything in your addon folder.[/spoiler]

The SWBF I Maps are working!  Thank you for finding a new site that has them. 

Ok, I have just a few more questions that may be answerable, but I am not sure.

First, the game takes a long time to load (4-5 min) between each map and to start.  Is there a way to make that process faster?
Second, is there a way that I can play online?  Can I play online with the mods?

Thank you again! 

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

February 23, 2017, 08:58:26 PM #12 Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:12:28 PM by Kit Fisto
Yay! I'm glad to hear it!
As far as making the loading times less, I'm not sure. Show me a picture of what you have in your _lvl_pc folder, if there's anything unnecessary thats in there from the various installs we had to do to get DT2 on there I'll let you know so you can remove them. My maps take about a min to load and I'm on a 2014 MacBook Air.
What computer are you on?

As far as playing online you can try using SWBF Spy. It won't work for me but you might have some more luck.
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=10570.0

You can play online through LAN though with someone else in your local wifi network who has the game. The mods you can play online as long as someone else has the mods too.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on February 23, 2017, 08:58:26 PM
Yay! I'm glad to hear it!
As far as making the loading times less, I'm not sure. Show me a picture of what you have in your _lvl_pc folder, if there's anything unnecessary thats in there from the various installs we had to do to get DT2 on there I'll let you know so you can remove them. My maps take about a min to load and I'm on a 2014 MacBook Air.
What computer are you on?

As far as playing online you can try using SWBF Spy. It won't work for me but you might have some more luck.
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=10570.0

You can play online through LAN though with someone else in your local wifi network who has the game. The mods you can play online as long as someone else has the mods too.

Hey, sorry for not replying soon after.  I think I mentioned I am traveling right now so I haven't gotten the time to look at this much.

I do not know why, but the game no longer has a hard time loading, which is great.  As for playing online, I will look into the link you posted.

Thanks again Kit Fisto, your help has been invaluable,

I scrub the floor.

Thank you