Xfire Alternatives (Poll)

Started by Shazam, June 29, 2015, 09:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Xfire alternative(s) do you prefer?  You may select up to two options.

EvolveHQ
Origin
Overwolf
Raptr
Steam
TeamSpeak
Given that Steam is one of the only applications not bottoming out from Network issues I think it's my only choice.
photobucket limit image removed

Also a thought (pardon the double post). Was gonna start trying to get a hangout going on the SWBFgamers steam chat just to kinda get some sort of group corner. I'll start logging in there by default now when I log on, but it if anyone else likes the idea of a sort of IM chat room then join the page and come on in!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SWBFgamers

As of right now, I think Steam is the best choice. It has a good group system, large variety of games including non- Steam games that you can add from your computer, including SWBF, and is a good way to communicate with everyone. Evolve is also a good option, I use it for Halo Online Multiplayer, and it works fine, works a lot like Tunngle actually, in the sense of joining a server through the browser and then launching the game.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

I voted Steam aswell, I do not think the 5$ restriction is very important since Steam is quite useless if you do not own games from its store.
This restriction was mainly added to prevent bot accounts and frauds regarding in-game items and cards you can trade.
May I also add, since the "paid skyrim mods" events, some people decided to build their own independent free and open-source software, they are still in heavy development, you can learn more at their website here : http://www.projectascension.io/

I love steam and I use it every day, so for me it is the easiest option.

Side note, I think it's interesting how Steam used to be the buggy piece of crap 6-7 years ago, and now it's put the Xfire client out of business.
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

Quote from: Droideka on July 02, 2015, 10:25:11 AM
I love steam and I use it every day, so for me it is the easiest option.

Side note, I think it's interesting how Steam used to be the buggy piece of crap 6-7 years ago, and now it's put the Xfire client out of business.

It's improved even since I've had it (2011-ish). I think what really changed is after it started gaining momentum Valve was better able to fund/put more people into managing Steam as a whole. Just my two cents but I still really am gonna miss Xfire. Mainly sentimental reasons but still start tearing up a little when I think about it too much.  :'(

July 03, 2015, 04:34:00 PM #21 Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:42:28 PM by Joseph
I added the $5 to my steam acct to get chat capabilities, and I will give it as a gift to the first person to message me about it.

(Not that I'm completely sold on Steam as xfire replacement).

Maybe people should try this first though, lol:

QuoteBoMbeR: you do know
BoMbeR: that if you download a free to play game
BoMbeR: you can get chat permissions
BoMbeR: and not spend $
BoMbeR: xD
joseph.9371: hm, steam told me otherwise, is that what you did?
BoMbeR: i made multiple Team Fortress 2 accounts.
BoMbeR: but i have like 30 games
BoMbeR: on this account
BoMbeR: it might have to be a valve game.
BoMbeR: so thats why tf2 worked for me

On the other hand, this page says you have to spend money: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663&l=english

Maybe a "steam virgin" can test this out?

You know, it might not be the greatest idea, but isn't LED currently holding a Teamspeak server that offers Voice Chat and Instant Messaging?
Just a thought.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Yes that is true. It would also provide a medium for the clans participating in the ICW5 to organize their battles. I am mainly thinking about YAK.

Salut  Syrion,

Les serveurs  de SWBF 1.2 ( PLA, FC, ICW5 etc...) n'apparaissent plus du tout depuis 1 semaine. je me suis inscrit sur SWBF gamers et j'ai suivi la procédure sur swbfgamers français pour voir apparaitre à nouveau ces serveurs. Démarrer/ordi/...../ etc/host/ puis ouverture par le bloc note. je remplace le nouveau texte en copier coller mais au moment  d'enregistrer le nouveau texte, il m'interdit l'enregistrement: "demander à l'administrateur l'autorisation".
Comment enregistrer?Comment finaliser? 
Ya une astuce mais laquelle?
Tu peux m'aider?
A+ merci
Dash  dit Badoit

Badoit je t'ai répondu en message privé, en haut à droite du site internet, tu as du recevoir un email, aussi.

Mods, I do not know what you should do with this but I answered him via private messages. You can delete our comments or create a new topic from this.

Thanks for noticing my post, Syyy.

I hope they don't mind me bumping this...

Quote from: Ultimo on July 11, 2015, 12:32:19 PM
You know, it might not be the greatest idea, but isn't LED currently holding a Teamspeak server that offers Voice Chat and Instant Messaging?
Just a thought.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I chose Steam... Because it's Steam.

Steam's the best client out there. Everyone uses it. It's free.
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Currently I prefer teamspeak over all of these.

Quote from: Phobos on July 26, 2015, 10:41:16 AM
Currently I prefer teamspeak over all of these.

I've added TeamSpeak to the poll.