Started by Epifire, July 24, 2013, 05:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Incredible work, Ep!
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on April 07, 2015, 08:09:31 PM
Incredible work, Ep!

Thank-you thank-you! Also I forgot to send you a version of this to see if you could get CPs added.

I would actually pack this current version and let people play it in it's Alpha state. But this is still the Test project, in a makeshift layout just to test the props. I actually have been fully intending to get the official project file working but, the CPs...

Right now I'm trying a bunch of stuff, like custom lightmaps (for fancy lighting) trying to get my friggin bumpmaps to actually look good and other render effects. I'm caught between wondering, if my rendertypes are setup correctly in XSI, or if they're just not running well/correctly in-game. Eitherway half the reasons anything ever got to look good is just me spending countless hours tweaking textures, shaders and just about anything.

Kinda busy with work over the past couple days, but it would be nice to get a working prototype of the droid faction on my day off. If you guys have any tips with custom factions I'd love to hear it. Heck I'd love it if someone (knowledgeable in that area) could just take my droid model and set it up for me. I'm pretty bad at using this engine besides the actual modeling part.  :XD:
photobucket limit image removed

I'll see what all I can do when you are able to send it over. But I won't be able to take a look at it until the end of the semester when I go home, which is in about 4 weeks.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

April 08, 2015, 10:39:02 PM #138 Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:40:44 PM by Epifire
Quote from: Snake on April 07, 2015, 10:00:58 PM
I'll see what all I can do when you are able to send it over. But I won't be able to take a look at it until the end of the semester when I go home, which is in about 4 weeks.

Alright, best then just to tell me once you're available and I can get the most current version to you that way (hopefully not just the test version either).

Update here for the night that I'm rather happy about, after a lot of finagling with different things I found out how to smooth out alpha channels and bake in highres lighting! At the moment it means literally having twice as much geometry wherever used, but that's really no biggie considering how lowres these buildings already are. As long as the editor can load it, an extra amount of detail shouldn't hurt. Ordinarily one could add the lighting right into the texture, but that doesn't work so well when you have a tiled texture kit you rely on instead of all unique UVs.

also the color can be anything too - not just white!

I'm not keen on some of the underlying details lost with this demo, so if I can figure out a better "blend mode" for the lightmaps it'll look all the better. It's a start, so I think I'll end up making some lightmap pre-baked details, for specific lights. So it'll only be doubled geometry where used, kinda like decals really (just ones that are lit!).

The trick is on indoor areas I wanted to get several light preset textures set aside, so I can pick and chose different polys to have different "light intensities" so to speak. These will be used on indoor tiled textures that just need to be brighter but not have any direct light cast on them. With different intensity lightmaps (solid textures at varied values) this could make areas underneath things dark but have open exposed areas lighter. As long as I can get the lightmaps render type to work, this should look so slick once I finally got a system going!
photobucket limit image removed