CORE.LVL edit?

Started by Cmd_Smith, May 27, 2015, 03:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I just recently got back into SWBF1 modding with the tools and picked up an old project I was working on. I quit it because the problem I was having is that I can't open a core.LVL file, and I was told that's how you change unit names (IE: Super Battledroid-->Battledroid). Is there some easy way to open these, or to edit the unit names?

Also, i read through the readme.txt again and it says I need Internet Explorer. Is that necessary? Because I use Google Chrome...

You need a core level tool.  There are some various options.

Here is one
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=364

(I think other browsers should work.)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks Led! Helpful as always ;) Just one question.. how do I use this to mod the unit names? The readme is vague, and I'm  new to this lol

Quote from: Cmd_Smith on May 27, 2015, 04:45:10 PM
Thanks Led! Helpful as always ;) Just one question.. how do I use this to mod the unit names? The readme is vague, and I'm  new to this lol

Err, it's been a while...but I think you should see the names of the units in there somewhere for the stock maps.  Poke around a bit.

Stock maps? Do I have to edit a map to do this?

Quote from: Cmd_Smith on May 28, 2015, 04:49:05 AM
Stock maps? Do I have to edit a map to do this?

No, but examine the keys for the stock maps to see what they keys are called.  I will move this into the modding forum soon--others will be able to notice it there and can comment on it.  I have not use SK's core tool myself.

Okay, Im new to this. I just need a step-by-step tutorial lol

Here's a tutorial from 2011.

QuoteHow to customize the main core.lvl using bamdurs core.lvl builder v1.3.1

Step 1 go into Bamdurs_64_bit_custom_core.lvl_munger
Step 2 Run the 1. clean 2. edit localization and make your changes
Step 3 run munge_localization.bat
step 4 go into the munged_localization folder and COPY english.loc
step 5 go into Main_core.lvl_builder_for_main_core.lvl folder and then into the munged folder and PASTE your custom LOC file
step 6 click the munge.bat and open the CORE folder
step 7 copy the core.lvl in place of your normal one

May 29, 2015, 07:43:43 AM #8 Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:28:33 AM by Cmd_Smith
And the .loc file has what I'm looking for? and is this one the bamdur's core.lvl?

EDIT::: OKAY! I firgured out the one Led posted on this, and I ran multilantool.exe, I modded the names to my liking, munged. and copied the core.lvl to my gamedata folder (after backup, ofc). I see for a split second the loading screen, then everything goes black. I can still hear the music and hover-text sounds, but NO image! Help..?