Engaging a Re-Growing Community

Started by Ultimo, November 15, 2014, 08:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I know this is a little scratchy, but I figured I'd do this for potential options some users around here may want as layout themes. I know you like the default theme so these could be optional.

Orange and Blue are two different options for what could go where. If the menu bar and headers are Blue, then the background could be orange. Or the opposite. Also, the theme doesn't have to be restricted to those shades of that color.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: ևltimσ on November 16, 2014, 06:16:21 PM
I know this is a little scratchy, but I figured I'd do this for potential options some users around here may want as layout themes. I know you like the default theme so these could be optional.

Orange and Blue are two different options for what could go where. If the menu bar and headers are Blue, then the background could be orange. Or the opposite. Also, the theme doesn't have to be restricted to those shades of that color.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

i would turn off my monitor and run away lol

November 16, 2014, 07:14:36 PM #17 Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:16:47 PM by Carbon27
            Haha...              I absolutely hate 99% of most website layout, color choices, etc. This is the 1%. I really dislike the arcade forums darker theme. Changing some colors to match a SWBF1 style might be cool, I guess. But honestly I would rather it feel comfortable then "hip".

Also, if you think members would stick around for the flashy colors, I might just have to call you crazy!  ;) And if they did, do you really think they are the kind we want around and/or have anything to contribute?

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: Carbon27 on November 16, 2014, 07:14:36 PM
            Haha...              I absolutely hate 99% of most website layout, color choices, etc. This is the 1%. I really dislike the arcade forums darker theme. Changing some colors to match a SWBF1 style might be cool, I guess. But honestly I would rather it feel comfortable then "hip".

Also, if you think members would stick around for the flashy colors, I might just have to call you crazy!  ;) And if they did, do you really think they are the kind we want around and/or have anything to contribute?

Well not everybody in this community was loveable from the start. It may take time for us to grow "attached" (for lack of a better word) to these new members, but I know all too well that nobody is perfect right away.

Whether you like someone or not is all up to chance. I for one don't like a few (anonymous) names in this community. Have they contributed to the community? One of them has indeed, and done quite a lot towards it.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: ևltimσ on November 16, 2014, 07:25:03 PM
but I know all too well that nobody is perfect right away.

Unit33 being the exception :D

Quote from: ևltimσ on November 16, 2014, 07:25:03 PM
Well not everybody in this community was loveable from the start. It may take time for us to grow "attached" (for lack of a better word) to these new members, but I know all too well that nobody is perfect right away.

Whether you like someone or not is all up to chance. I for one don't like a few (anonymous) names in this community. Have they contributed to the community? One of them has indeed, and done quite a lot towards it.

Not exactly what I meant when I said that, sorta. I guess I see far many more people that register and never see in game. I mean, if they don't mod, nor play, nor even inactive players, then they are just random people. This isn't a site for just random people. It's not about me liking them, it's more about this being a site for us Battlefrontians. Though if I where talking about, more "annoying" people, I should immediately shut up and bash my keyboard into a wall as I fear I should keep my mouth, er, fingers shut due to my early time here.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

Quote from: ևltimσ on November 15, 2014, 08:32:21 PM
I am on this site for hours and hours most days, constantly checking for new updates, things to talk about, and things to search for when they cross my mind. The hours I spend around here, I always notice the "Who's Online" bar and always notice a registered member who is either brand new or they have very few posts on the site but I've been around for awhile. It makes me wonder a lot why the site isn't more engaging to more members of the community. I want these community members to come and be a true part of the community, but hardly any of them ever do. People always register to download a few mods, maybe lurk some of the forums, but never seem to hang around or say "Hello" very often at all. So, I've been pondering... why is it like this?

Then I realized... We are old- The site is old. It's not hip- not flashy- not attractive to audiences in modern terms. I look at it again and again, but always notice the 3 main colors of the default site layout- Black, Gray, and White. Dull colors. Don't get me wrong, many popular sites today still use White- such as YouTube, Reddit... White is fine; We've just managed to make White dull with other dull colors. We're a Star Wars: Battlefront site. I think it's time to upgrade to a Default theme that represents the game we play! Who can forget the classic Battlefront look with blue backgrounds, orange headers and white text? Everyone in our community is accustomed to it, and I think it would be a very nice addition to have! But don't get me wrong, I absolutely do love the current default layout... but we need some flavor! Something to engage an audience that is once again growing, even after the Gamespy shut-out. When we represent dull colors, we look dull too! I'm not saying we should completely destroy the theme we have all grown on; Like I said, White is nice. White works, White is still in style. But, let's add some seasoning on top of the White- Change the header backgrounds to something Orange... Maybe add a little blue in somewhere. Hey, what's wrong with classic SWBF colors?

But wait, there's still something else missing... I think we should have a page in our community for all the Photos and Videos we make. Currently, we make thread after thread- Reply after reply for our different photos and videos, so I'm suggesting we have our own little Community page for our Photos and Videos. Heck, we could even make Webs host it and have an external link to it! Perhaps being able to display our fun memories with the community will engage our growing audience, instead of making them go to YouTube and XFire photos.

You got to realize though colors like if you change the backgrounds and stuff and the colors on what people look at and have to read it will make them get headaches and then later decide not to come on at all, like what you did with the Alpha website, No offence, but it was giving me and I'm sure it was give others a bunch of headaches, there's a difference when it comes to colors, and they make headaches and stuff you should read up on this, I'm sure they have it on the internet somewhere, They showed something about it on the History channel once.

Another thing why make a photos thing for the website and videos thing, face the facts the more stuff that's on a website the more the owners of the thing you used to make it will want more and more money for the more data and bandwidth and how much travelage there is on the website, I mean after all if Led or someone is paying for this I don't think we want him to have to pay even more... I mean really this isn't a business where we make money at this.

Another thing to add people left and don't want to come back because of the people using Aimbot, Radar, and other hacks and cheats that have been made wither they really exist or not, not to mention the fighting and bickering, why else do you think the PLA server rules where strict, and another type of fighting is like what WUSI and FC and 212 was and have been doing for so long, you guys just got to figure it out that stuff is driving people away, so is the swearing and cussing, If someone cusses at you or makes a problem talk to one of the server admins you don't need to get in to a fight on SWBF servers which causes people to leave SWBF, just take it some where else if you insist to do that!

Sorry for the bad punctuation.

Over all I think SWBFGamers is fine how it is, there's not much that really needs to change about how the website is, I think it should mostly stay how it is.

Quote from: Samistheone on November 16, 2014, 08:39:25 PM

Another thing why make a photos thing for the website and videos thing, face the facts the more stuff that's on a website the more the owners of the thing you used to make it will want more and more money for the more data and bandwidth and how much travelage there is on the website, I mean after all if Led or someone is paying for this I don't think we want him to have to pay even more... I mean really this isn't a business where we make money at this.

Assuming that space was a problem, it would be possible to make links to videos and pictures which were relevant s Ultimo was saying, a bit like the frag video collection, though tbh it would take ages to do and I'm not sure how much it would be used.

Quote from: {Alpha}.Gen.Kiwi on November 17, 2014, 02:15:59 AM
Assuming that space was a problem, it would be possible to make links to videos and pictures which were relevant s Ultimo was saying, a bit like the frag video collection, though tbh it would take ages to do and I'm not sure how much it would be used.

yeah back in the day this could be useful but that this point that would be useless.

You got to realize though colors like if you change the backgrounds and stuff and the colors on what people look at and have to read it will make them get headaches and then later decide not to come on at all, like what you did with the Alpha website, No offence, but it was giving me and I'm sure it was give others a bunch of headaches, there's a difference when it comes to colors, and they make headaches and stuff you should read up on this, I'm sure they have it on the internet somewhere, They showed something about it on the History channel once.

Another thing to add people left and don't want to come back because of the people using Aimbot, Radar, and other hacks and cheats that have been made wither they really exist or not, not to mention the fighting and bickering, why else do you think the PLA server rules where strict, and another type of fighting is like what WUSI and FC and 212 was and have been doing for so long, you guys just got to figure it out that stuff is driving people away, so is the swearing and cussing, If someone cusses at you or makes a problem talk to one of the server admins you don't need to get in to a fight on SWBF servers which causes people to leave SWBF, just take it some where else if you insist to do that!

Sorry for the bad punctuation.

Over all I think SWBFGamers is fine how it is, there's not much that really needs to change about how the website is, I think it should mostly stay how it is.

i agree with you it took me up until recently to realize it but arguing who is better at a game and spending all your time towards proving your self "better" over other players is pointless. a while ago the competition was probably needed and it was fun but at this point in swbf it's just annoying lol, no one cares anymore.

November 17, 2014, 02:33:45 PM #23 Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:55:04 PM by Unit 33
[opinion]
With web design, especially for a discussion forum such as this one, form generally follows function.
A simple layout and a neutral palette makes the experience far less distracting.

November 18, 2014, 06:47:20 AM #24 Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:55:07 AM by Joseph
Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on November 16, 2014, 07:46:47 AM
There's a gaming site I read that allows you to submit articles for the weekend, I'm no author but I'm going to see what I can come up with for battlefront -probably a 'retro review' or just a bit about how it's still going and a link to the Christmas battlefront days. If there are any US sites that are similar it might be worth a try.
I asked BattlefrontNetwork (Youtube, Facebook, Twitter) if they'd be willing to "advertise" this december's reunion, and they said yes, and even offered to make a video about it. Also, I'll make a post to the battlefront subreddit.

I'll try the same for Star Wars HQ.

Quote from: Joseph on November 18, 2014, 06:47:20 AM
I asked BattlefrontNetwork (Youtube, Facebook, Twitter) if they'd be willing to "advertise" this december's reunion, and they said yes, and even offered to make a video about it. Also, I'll make a post to the battlefront subreddit.

I'll try the same for Star Wars HQ.
Sounds good, hopefully people looking for the new battlefront will see something about this and want to give the original a go.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I am messaging all comments on starwars battlefront 1 video on youtube about gamemaster.
I give them all informations, all instructions. led's video and swbfgamers links for gamemaster.

:moo:

A lot of people miss the game, they just dont know how get it online.
I have already got some answers !.

Quote from: Kishy on November 17, 2014, 02:34:32 AM
yeah back in the day this could be useful but that this point that would be useless.

i agree with you it took me up until recently to realize it but arguing who is better at a game and spending all your time towards proving your self "better" over other players is pointless. a while ago the competition was probably needed and it was fun but at this point in swbf it's just annoying lol, no one cares anymore.
the competition is still needed and still keeps the game fun for most players, regardless of your views on this subject. nothing in SWBF is pointless if players enjoy the activity. if you don't, i suggest finding something else to do besides complain over it.

Funny how you want to blame FC and various mods, most of which aren't cheats actually, or the server rules other major clans like PLA/WUSI for driving players away. If a player quits SWBF because other players in the server are using a mod, that's their choice. We don't really want players like that in our servers anyway, so if you don't like the swearing, mods, or other server elements which are all a normal part of SWBF (and 90%+ of most other online shooter games) then you can always host your own server which forbids such things for all the players that you claim are being driven away by the current game standards. Not sure I believe such claims however.

November 21, 2014, 05:18:54 AM #28 Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:21:11 AM by Black Water
The WUSI/FC/212 competition actually increased activity in my opinion. Once that started dying down, the game started dying down also. Now you hardly see any players from those clans.. maybe because there is not really nothing to compete for. During the FC/212 there was constant fighting... including almost full servers. Don't see how that was bad for the game at all. People just get lives and stop playing this game, nothing else to it.  Except for maybe game master, constant switching tires people out.

People just dont know how play this game again via gamemaster.
People got bored to play it with tunngle. nothing else.