Computer can't support BF3

Started by DarthMuffinMix, October 10, 2015, 12:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is it, 10 years since BF2 came out, meaning 10 years of waiting for BF3?  Only to find my high-end laptop can't handle the game.  i7-4900MQ, 32GB RAM, and Quadro K2100M graphics card.  Ugh!

My video card seems to have fallen into a notch of NVIDIA driver support.  Version 355.60 is the minimum requirement for the game, but my combination of Windows 7 64-bit with the K2100M only gets me to driver version 354.13.  If I had Windows 10 64-bit or Windows 7 32-bit then I could use the required driver with my video card.

Anyone have similar tales of woe?  Or a workaround?

-DMM-

October 10, 2015, 01:19:51 PM #2 Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 01:29:41 PM by {TCE}Call-of-Duty
Another workaround: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

I don't know why some people are disliking it. I've had it since day one and it has worked fine with my custom graphics.

EDIT: I checked and my card is currently running 358.50, so Nvidia does have support for Windows 10 above Battlefront's requirements, which is good for gameplay.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Thank you both for the feedback.  My options seem to be:
  1.  Spend $700-$1300 for a new PC, making BF3 a rather expensive game.
  2.  Spend $0 and upgrade to Windows 10.

The obvious choice is Option 2, but I'll probably go with Option 1.  My high-end laptop has ~$25K of specialized software I use for my business that may not be supported under Windows 10.  Plus my clients are all on Windows 7.

My personal laptop is 5 years old, has no separate graphics card, and is due for an upgrade.  My plan is to wait until the full release of BF3 in the hope that NVIDIA updates the driver, and if they don't, purchase a new laptop.  Until then I will look longingly at the posted screenshots in this forum <sigh>.

-DMM-