Question about visual munge [SOLVED]

Started by Blur, September 30, 2017, 11:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
September 30, 2017, 11:34:21 AM Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:44:59 AM by Blur
Just got modtools, went to go try it out. Following the 'getting started' file in the documentation, I opened munge, created my world (I selected hero assault as the only game mode, not sure if that mucked something up) gave it a 3char, a name, and description. After it finished creating the directory structure for my mod, I went into data_VCR (the folder it created) and ran Visualmunge from inside the _BUILD folder in there, to compile the world, just to see if it would show in my addon folder and if i could see it in my instant action menu. But for some reason, instead of showing my world name on the maps list it just shows VCR%s_%s and instead of the description I wrote, it just shows VCR%s_%s. Also when I add this world to my playlist and launch it, it crashes to desktop with the error "Could not open mission.lvl"
Now I'm not surprised it didn't run - after all there's nothing actually there, I haven't made anything for my world in zeroedit yet. But is it normal to not see your world's name and desc like that? If its not, could someone better versed how visualmunge works explain where I made my mistake, so I can go back and correct it?

If someone else has already asked a question like this, you needn't take the time to answer again, just link to where it was asked so I can see how it was resolved and apply that to my own dilemma.

@anyder sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum to ask this in, I just wasn't really sure where to put it.
"Join the empire they said, see the galaxy...riiiiiiiiight."

- jaded stormtrooper

September 30, 2017, 01:35:29 PM #1 Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:37:36 PM by swgaming1015
I'm not sure why it crashed but I think the reason the name doesn't read right has something to do with not having the 1.3 patch. Get the 1.3 patch and the name should appear fine.
http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-battlefront-ii/downloads/the-unofficial-v13-patch-revision-129-final

Also even if you haven't put anything in Zeroeditor yet, the map should absolutely work. I'm not sure why it can't read the mission.lvl.

September 30, 2017, 04:21:22 PM #2 Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:37:31 AM by Blur
Ah, I see, thanks! I uninstalled all my mods before trying, but I guess v1.3 unofficial patch I should have left in. Anyway, I'll try again with it installed and let you know if its fixed. Thanks again!  :tu:

Edit: no luck, installing the patch doesn't seem to have fixed the issue, my map's 3char still displays where it's name or description should. Tried deleting it from my addon folder and deleting it's data folder from my modtools directory and recreating and remunging a new world, but the issue persists with every mod map I attempt to make. For more information, here's an image of what the glitch looks like.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I'll keep trying things with visualmunge, hopefully I can get it to work.

- jaded stormtrooper

Oh, I just realised I gave you the wrong patch. I said you needed the 1.3 patch but in fact you need the 1.1 patch. I think that should fix the name.

http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-battlefront-ii/downloads?filter=t&kw=official&category=4

Sorry about that.

July 30, 2018, 02:58:44 PM #4 Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:43:30 AM by Blur
I'm sorry to necro an old thread, but I had given up on this for quite some time, only just now coming back to it. I still can't seem to get visual munge to compile my world, when I munge and then go into my addon folder, the folder for my mod map BFG is there, but within it's contents, the _LVL_PC folder is completely empty. I don't know why it's not populating with things. I watched a video tutorial by gametoast user jedimoose32 to see if that would help me, and I noticed, that once he ran munge from inside data_ABC > _BUILD, he got the popup "All done, go run battlefront II!" then he ran BF2_modtools.exe, presumably in his GameData folder. I did the same and also got the "All done, go run battlefront II!" popup, but when I ran BF2_modtools, instead of starting up, it gave a popup "Please insert CD 1." as if I had the disk version of the game? And when I tried launching the regular BattlefrontII.exe like I mentioned in my OP my map showed up in the instant action menu, but with it's 3char where the name and desc. should be in the IA map list (And it CTD when I try to play it).

I don't think it's that Visualmunge doesn't know where to find my addon folder, because if that were the case it wouldn't even be able to place any folders there. For some reason it added my 3 character mod folder and within that the addme.script and data folder, and the _LVL_PC within the data folder, but didn't populate _LVL_PC with it's contents? Even though I know for a fact that I selected to munge everything.  :confused:

For reference, here is a link to the video tutorial I was following: If someone could help me figure out why it isn't compiling like it should, I would be grateful. I know I write huge text walls, but i guess when asking for help like this it's better to over-specify than to be too vague.

EDIT: clarity
EDIT 2: fixed the bf2_modtools.exe problem, got the no disk version off the FAQ thread on GT, cross that off my list.
EDIT 3: Solved. If you have windows 10, you apparently need the vista munge fix... god damnit. If only I had read FAQ thread more closely. When reading about the vista mingle fix, I had assumed it was for windows vista users because of it’s name. I also was kind of turned off to downloading it because it’s ModDB page has several people saying it doesn’t work. I’m just happy I can finally stand at the starting line of modding.

But yeah, let it be known that if you have windows vista OR LATER, you need the vista munge fix.

- jaded stormtrooper