I'm new here... I need some adivce

Started by jthaze, October 26, 2016, 05:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys. 

I have been a long time fan of Star Wars Battlefront, especially II.  I recently purchased a Mac for school and I am trying to figure out if there is a way to get the game to work on my computer.  Before, I played on PS2.

Any ideas?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
When it comes to video games....

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

Quote from: Jean on October 26, 2016, 05:54:21 PM
This video should help you out

Do you know if I need to have it on a disk?  Is there any other way to get the actual game on my computer?  I don't have a CD-ROM in my laptop.  I can do some work-around to make it work, but if there was an easier way that would be nice.

Thank you for a quick response

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

October 26, 2016, 06:21:31 PM #3 Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:23:15 PM by Commander Awesome
Welcome to the 'Front! :huzzah:
Quote from: jthaze on October 26, 2016, 06:01:08 PM
Do you know if I need to have it on a disk?  Is there any other way to get the actual game on my computer?  I don't have a CD-ROM in my laptop.  I can do some work-around to make it work, but if there was an easier way that would be nice.

Thank you for a quick response
You could get the steam version.

Once you get it working, be sure to join us on Novemver 1st as we celebrate 11 years of SWBF2!  :cheers:

Ok, so I have a copy of SWBT on a flash drive and I tried to do what the video said, but I do not have the "setup2" file.  Is there any way I can get that or am I doomed.

Thanks again

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

Quote from: jthaze on October 26, 2016, 07:28:51 PM
Ok, so I have a copy of SWBT on a flash drive and I tried to do what the video said, but I do not have the "setup2" file.  Is there any way I can get that or am I doomed.

Thanks again
That file is for installing Battlefront II, so you don't need it. Just skip that step and move your Battlefront II files to (Whatever)\Wine\drive_c\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II.

Quote from: Commander Awesome on October 26, 2016, 08:23:20 PM
That file is for installing Battlefront II, so you don't need it. Just skip that step and move your Battlefront II files to (Whatever)\Wine\drive_c\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II.

So, what you are saying makes sense, but right now I don't have a folder for wine.  It is still the application.  I think something needs to be ran through it in order for me to put something in there.  I took a screenshot to show that.  In my documents folder, where Kit Fisto has his wine folder, I have nothing that relates to wine at all.  I don't know it this is making much sense...

Thank you again for all of your help.  If what I am saying doesn't make much sense, please ask a clarifying question. 

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

Hey, what Mac OS are you running and what exactly is on your flash drive that you have the battlefront 2 files in?
I'll try to help you as best I can but tbh I'm not sure if my video works for newer Mac software as I have yet to test it out (I'm planning on doing it during winter break).

Hey, thank you all for the help.

I have 10.11.6.  A pic of the flash drive contents are attached.  I copied all of the contents on to my desktop.  I would appreciate any help at all.  I am already impresssed with this comunity and it is only my first day.

Thank you again.

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

October 26, 2016, 10:11:07 PM #10 Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:13:24 PM by Kit Fisto
Quote from: jthaze on October 26, 2016, 09:58:14 PM
I have 10.11.6.  A pic of the flash drive contents are attached.  I copied all of the contents on to my desktop.  I would appreciate any help at all.  I am already impresssed with this comunity and it is only my first day.
Inside the gamedata folder do you have these items except for the "working" folder?
(screenshot attached)

This is what I got, I don't seem to have the "working" file.

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

The "working" file isn't part of it that's my mods stuff.
Ok! Easy! You already have the game files you just need to place them in the port.
So in the video skip to about 4 mins. If you don't want any mods just place the specified folder in the video in the port and launch the game! Everything should work fine. :)

Ok, I think I am just missing something...

So I went to the video at 4 minutes and it said to find where Battlefront was installed.  The only thing is that I wasn't able to install it becasue I don't have the "SetupBF2.exe" file or something like that.  It was in the GameData file on your disk, but after searching through all of the files I have, I do not have that file.

I think this might be the issue.  If there is another way to do it or a way to get that file, please let me know.  I am sorry if I am missing something incredibly large here.

Picture of GameData is attached.

Thank you again for the help.

I scrub the floor.

Thank you

Quote from: jthaze on October 27, 2016, 02:18:51 PM
Ok, I think I am just missing something...

So I went to the video at 4 minutes and it said to find where Battlefront was installed.  The only thing is that I wasn't able to install it becasue I don't have the "SetupBF2.exe" file or something like that.  It was in the GameData file on your disk, but after searching through all of the files I have, I do not have that file.

I think this might be the issue.  If there is another way to do it or a way to get that file, please let me know.  I am sorry if I am missing something incredibly large here.

Picture of GameData is attached.

Thank you again for the help.
As I said previously, you don't need to run SetupBF2 because copying your BF2 files the directory is literally the exact same thing SetupBF2 does.