Minecraft questions

Started by Led, August 30, 2014, 07:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I got minecraft (PC version) for the kiddos.

I have some questions:
-it looks like I can set up a LAN server.  Any tips before I dig into it?

-if I set up a LAN server, do I need to purchase the game for each player on my LAN?

-is "creative mode" the default game mode?

:cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Led on August 30, 2014, 07:05:16 PM
I got minecraft (PC version) for the kiddos.

I have some questions:
-it looks like I can set up a LAN server.  Any tips before I dig into it?

-if I set up a LAN server, do I need to purchase the game for each player on my LAN?

-is "creative mode" the default game mode?

Idk about that LAN thing, UEF have the normal internet server.
And the default game mode depends on what u choose, single player or multiplayer.
But in single player u can choose 3 game modes if im not wrong
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Another question:

can pocket minecraft connect to a PC server?  (I suspect the answer is no.)

Quote from: Led on August 30, 2014, 07:13:51 PM
Another question:

can pocket minecraft connect to a PC server?  (I suspect the answer is no.)
At the moment, it can't. However there's a group of freelance devs working on making a PC Minecraft Server able to work with Pocket Edition. I checked on this a few weeks ago, so there's a chance it might be working now.

I'l put up the link later to the news once I find it.

OK, so I have a server running--I'd still like to know if there is a way to access it from multiple home computers without having to pay for the software multiple times.

It is looking like I have to shell out more money...

Note that setting up a lan server is much easier than setting up a regular server (unless you want to use bukkit for some reason). All you do is press open to lan in the menu in a single player world and it will start.
When you press open to lan the game mode the world was started in can be seen as one of the options, as well as options for cheats and such. These will be by default set to the values the world was created with. They can all be changed and will immediately take effect. They will revert back (only the settings, a players game mode won't be changed)  one the server is shut down by the host (the player who started it).

You do not need to purchase the game for each player on your lan.
Assuming your have at least two computers, it will work fine. You should be able to use the same account twice. If not, you can use offline mode.
This requires the current version and a profile for it (tied to a paid account) already there. When in the launcher you should be able to log out (Don't know where the button is, on my tablet right now). This Will log you out of the account. You will then see a login screen (you may need to restart the launcher) and I think there is an option to play offline. Once it is in the game,some go to servers and wait for your lan server to appear. This should work.  :( I found out it was all wrong.  It's much simple.  That doesn't work. You can still get offline mode assuming you have used it in online mode at least once by disabling WiFi temporarily (assuming you are using a router here) and then going into the launcher. The button that usually says play will say play in offline mode.
The offline mode should generate a name that says guest_146 or something like that I think.

In server.properties:

online-mode=false

That should do the trick.

#TYBG