(some) Historical Maps can be served

Started by Led, November 19, 2011, 09:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 19, 2011, 09:39:22 AM Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:53:07 AM by Buckler
I have discovered that historical maps can be served without any download.

Play as Naboo Royal Guards!

In a batch file, specify the map name as
nab2c_h 200 200

http://www.xfire.com/video/506965/

Check it out if you are a PC player.

This gives me an idea about how to add more missions too   8)

OK, there are some issues with some maps, and  some others are just the same as regular multiplayer.  I will do some investigation.

nab1c_h crashes when you get in vehicles (play as gungans); fambaa shield does not show up
nab2c_h plays just fine (play as naboo royal guards)

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

OK, this bothers me.

I cant get the fambaa shield to show up in multiplayer.  I can make the mission file for naboo plains the nab1c.lua have the same contents as nab1c_h.lua, and can play with the fambaa in a single player instant action mission, but I can not play the same map with fambaa in multiplayer. 

Any ideas?  Some memory issues?

When I made the map Naboo Grassy Plains I discovered very quickly that fambaa shields simply do not work in multi-player (no sptest error logs). My suspicion is a classlabel restriction. As for gungans crashing vehicles, might want to look in the gungan ODF. You might have to add CanEnterVehicles = 0, I had to add that to Rancors because the game would crash whenever they tried getting in tanks. IDK why, I guess pandemic didn't spend much time with historical assets and localization of locals because they never anticipated us trying to use them in these ways. The _h trick with batch file is a cool find though and I will be conducting some tests.

It works Phobos because on the client side the mission.lvl has all the _h missions loaded from the game start just they are not added into the missionlist (They are called for by the campaighn.) hence the lack of loclizations. A good find by Led , but nothing that can be used to for what I suspect you want.

November 20, 2011, 01:29:01 AM #4 Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:16:19 AM by Phobos Developer
I like how it appears to be missing the map but isn't. Led could you hex edit out boundaries from theed so we can get the blue tank outside of the map?

These tanks are so cool

Yeah, you could do _M for mod maps but it would require a D/L SWBF has these _h loaded up in secret but never puts them on the missionlist.

November 20, 2011, 03:31:01 AM #6 Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:42:13 AM by Phobos Developer
_h.lvl hex edit out boundaries
attached

you should allow .7z attachments its compresses better than zip and rar.

November 20, 2011, 05:19:04 AM #7 Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 05:21:09 AM by Buckler
Quote from: SleepKiller on November 20, 2011, 03:09:18 AM
Yeah, you could do _M for mod maps but it would require a D/L SWBF has these _h loaded up in secret but never puts them on the missionlist.

exactly.  What we can do with our "SWBF update" is to remove the historical missions from the mission.lvl to make room for our own mod map missions, so that we do not break compatibility with people that want to play the regular maps.  Doing this will be the key to gaining acceptance from the players that we have left in the game.

(Some of them don't know how to install a mod map, but we can talk them through unzipping a huge update package one time.)

Quote from: Phobos Developer on November 20, 2011, 03:31:01 AM
_h.lvl hex edit out boundaries
attached

you should allow .7z attachments its compresses better than zip and rar.

I will try it the hex edit fixed map.  I'm not sure about what is going on with 7z.  I don't see any place where it is specified what files can or can not be uploaded.

November 20, 2011, 05:31:40 AM #9 Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 05:42:42 AM by Buckler
Quote from: SleepKiller on November 19, 2011, 09:57:37 PM
It works Phobos because on the client side the mission.lvl has all the _h missions loaded from the game start just they are not added into the missionlist (They are called for by the campaighn.) hence the lack of loclizations. A good find by Led , but nothing that can be used to for what I suspect you want.

This may be better than I thought, however.  The map was just sitting there, outside of Addon.  The mission called it and it worked even though it said it was missing.

What this means for our SWBF update (I think) is that as long as players and servers both have the maps, it doesn't matter if there is an Addon map limit!

Now, where is localization stored at?  Core.lvl ?

November 20, 2011, 07:01:52 AM #10 Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 07:03:33 AM by WUSIEsS.Target
on localization i have no idea

but if we can get the clients to save the download in a specific spot (namely C: drive) we can make a batch file that would install the update for them

Localization is in core. if you need help with that i can assist