Dedicated Server Advice.

Started by {TcF}Dr.Penguin, November 28, 2011, 07:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys, I got my brothers old E-Machine to hook up to the internet so I can host Dedicated Servers All Day. I was wondering if you guys have any advice on what I should get for the computer or change. So the servers are as lag free as possible. Thanks!

assuming it has at least 1 GB of memory, your dedicated server lag issues will depend primarily on the quality of your ISP and your UPLOAD speed.

go to www.speedtest.net to determine your upload speed.

This game was developed in a time when computers were not nearly as nice as they are today.  Best of luck.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on November 28, 2011, 07:51:44 PM
assuming it has at least 1 GB of memory, your dedicated server lag issues will depend primarily on the quality of your ISP and your UPLOAD speed.

go to www.speedtest.net to determine your upload speed.

This game was developed in a time when computers were not nearly as nice as they are today.  Best of luck.
Divide the upload speed it tells you by 8 for the actual bytes. Say you have 1mb/s upload that means its 125kB/s upload which means you can host about 4-6 player slots before clients start getting serious lag. Each client takes requires about 20-30kB/s in 30 ticks I think.

Ok thanks, is there any way to get a higher  bandwidth?

Not really. 

It is up to your ISP. 

Verizon FIOS is probably the best, Comcast or other cable providers are pretty good, and DSL is at the bottom.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet