Tutorial: How to edit a shipped map!

Started by SW_elite, October 08, 2010, 02:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 08, 2010, 02:51:34 AM Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:03:00 AM by Jedikiller
How to edit a shipped map, the EASY way!

1. Make your three letter map. I will use ABC as an example. I am copying Kamino over in this example. I am being as descriptive as possible so that beginners can understand as well.

2. Got to C:\BF2_ModTools\data_ABC\Worlds\ABC and rename the world1 folder to world2

3. Go to C:\BF2_ModTools\assets\worlds and copy the map you want. I chose Kamino so that’s the folder kam. Now when I copy I am only copying the sub directories. I AM NOT COPYING KAM TOO. only copy "effects", "msh", "MUNGED", "odf", & "world1"

4. Paste those folders to: C:\BF2_ModTools\data_ABC\Worlds\ABC

5. Now swap the world1 and world2 folders names, making the Kamino core world files to be in the world2 directory and my ABC core files in world 1. I’m not sure if this is needed but I did it anyhow.

6. Now go to C:\BF2_ModTools\assets\scripts\kam and copy the script of the corresponding game mode you are creating. I chose conquest galactic civil war. So I copied the contents of KAM1g_con.lua and pasted into C:\BF2_ModTools\data_ABC\Common\scripts\ABC\ABCg_con.lua. Now if you are a pro at lua’s then you might not need to do this step.

7. Here is the easiest and most important part. Now in the lua we just updated in step 6, C:\BF2_ModTools\data_ABC\Common\scripts\ABC\ABCg_con.lua in this example, go to the line where it loads the world. If you copied the script from the assets it will look like this. (its about 3/4 a ways down)

ReadDataFile("kam\\kam1.lvl", "kamino1_conquest")

Change it to:

ReadDataFile("dc:ABC\\kam1.lvl", "kamino1_conquest")

8. Now you can open Zero Editor. Load kamino.wld. Now edit at your pleasure and have fun! The best part is your cp’s are already set, you don’t have to delete your original abc.wld’s cp's because your not loading it at all. Just select the layer of your game type and add add add. Or goto the base layer and delete delete delete.

Sourced from GT. Originally created by someone that I can't see. http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8519