Trying to mod with softwindows on mac

Started by Ryanoceros, February 03, 2009, 05:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm trying to mod SWBF on my mac.. They say it can't be done.
But what if I have Virtual PC? Is it possible?
I have Virtual PC on my mac. (Windows XP).
The Zero Editor says I need Battlefront loaded to work. Is there a way to get it to recognize my mac version?
If not, is there a way I can make mods anyway? and maps? etc?
Will a demo version of the game work?

I have some code that could get ZE to recognize Battlefront as there even if it doesn't exist, but I'm not sure if ZE actually needs something in battlefront for it to work. Just look for the BoPC fix and try it.

Also, at least with BomB, VMWare doesn't report the right system specs for the graphics card, so ZE refuses to run. Not sure if Virtual PC would have the same glitch

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

I am also confirming that ZE doesn't work on VMware Fusion. I doubt that it'll run on Parallels either.

#TYBG

Quote from: "Thomas"I am also confirming that ZE doesn't work on VMware Fusion. I doubt that it'll run on Parallels either.

It didn't run at all. Try installing boot camp if you really want to.

Also, I just looked at your post a bit closer.

If the BoPC fix doesn't work on ZE, then you only can't do maps. The mod compilers will still work perfectly fine. I'll probably put up a basic post on how to do mods sometime.

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

Ok, pretty much as I expected. There's no way to get their from here.
I'll just have to wait for a new computer to be able to do the cool stuff.
Thanks for the help though guys. :)

Out of curiosity, what is the BoPC fix for the ZeroEditor?
"I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I'd planned. It would continue falling into that starry expanse, of which I had only a fleeting glimpse..."

Quote from: "Satellite"Out of curiosity, what is the BoPC fix for the ZeroEditor?

BoPC is short for Best of PC. It's a game package for PC with a few great games for PC, including SWBF. Apparently, Zeroeditor doesn't recognize BoPC's SWBF so Pi made a very simple fix.

There's a download link on filefront.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Can you give me the link to the file(s)? I can't seem to find the download.
"I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I'd planned. It would continue falling into that starry expanse, of which I had only a fleeting glimpse..."

Thank you for the download link. Your help is greatly appreciated.

VMWare, Parallels, or any other virtual machine will never ever report the graphics card you have installed, it'll run the virtual machine based on generic integrated graphics settings that are loaded in the OS image that it is mounting.  It will always run as integrated, which lacks Tnl Hardware, which is what the Zero Engine needs explicitly in Zero Editor.

Use 3D analyze to work around the lack of TnL support, run it, select the zero edit.exe in your mod folder, then click off Force HW TnL Caps, in the Hardware limits area.

February 16, 2009, 11:48:16 AM #12 Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:13:42 PM by Thomas
Holy crap I have to try that. I've been wanting to map for so long.

EDIT: It doesn't work in VMware Fusion :(

#TYBG

Quote from: "Thomas"Holy crap I have to try that. I've been wanting to map for so long.

Now I've got to reinstall parallels again. <_< I can actually run it efficiently now with 2 gigabytes of RAM devoted to it. :)

And I have to install Parallels. I don't care how crappy it is I just want to run it.

#TYBG