Star Wars Battlefront 1 (Classic) crashes at the launch

Started by Nach, July 07, 2020, 02:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I know this is not the correct forum/section to ask it, but no one in internet seems to be able to solve the following problem. Some weeks ago I bought Star Wars Battlefront (Classic) on Steam; I downloaded it and, when I run it, the icon of the game appears on the bar, there's a black screen for a second (I mean very fast) and the app crashes. I tried to look for any solution on internet, but I've found nothing, I only found some other people like me with my same problem.

I already tried to turn the antivirus and all the possible overlays (discord for ex) off, but nothing changed. I also tried to write a post in the discussions section on the community hub of the game on Steam, but no one helped me (https://steamcommunity.com/app/1058020/discussions/0/2518023667605538822/).

Due to the complete indifference of the whole SWBF1 community (and of the developers who're still working on the game), I'm afraid I got to post my question here. I really hope that someone will help me and the other guys that have this damn problem to play this fantastic game again after so many years.

Another thing: I also have in my Steam library Star Wars Battlefront II (Classic), that was released just a year after the first one. It works perfectly, without any problem. I state it because I don't think this is a compatibility issue. I've already tried to run SWBF1 with W8 and W7 compatibility mode, despite my OS is W10.

try using this to downgrade to 1.2 and see if it works. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pUNy_EOyXGtOC6lCR8L8Ew4zS50zuHAN/view?usp=sharing
mods and maps in progress:<br />--Bf1 expanded edition 3.0 version
-- bf1 tcw battles
-- bf1 seasons mod season 1
-- bf2 expanded edition tbh

Quote from: wsa30h on July 07, 2020, 02:42:24 AM
try using this to downgrade to 1.2 and see if it works. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pUNy_EOyXGtOC6lCR8L8Ew4zS50zuHAN/view?usp=sharing
That shouldn't be a fix to the problem.

@Nach, have you tried the basic of deleting the files and re-downloading them? Have you "verified" files to see if something wasn't downloaded properly?

To me it sounds like one of these things is the problem and should be fixed by trying one of the options above. Could you post a pic of the SWBF Folder?
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

yes try those option especially the verify files.
-- bf1 tcw battles

Hi. First of all, I have to thank you so much for your answer... I'm looking for a solution for a long time and, since now, I've found nothing. Anyway...

Quote from: Anyder on July 07, 2020, 03:01:20 AM@Nach, have you tried the basic of deleting the files and re-downloading them? Have you "verified" files to see if something wasn't downloaded properly?

I did what you wrote. I've unistalled (and deleted completely the folder of) the game and tried to re-install it. I got the same problem. I tried to check the files integrity (with Steam), but nothing changed. I also tried to install the game on another disk, but nothing.

Quote from: Anyder on July 07, 2020, 03:01:20 AMTo me it sounds like one of these things is the problem and should be fixed by trying one of the options above. Could you post a pic of the SWBF Folder?

For sure. Here you are

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

If you need something else write it. Thanks again for your all help!

If you just want to play the game, the downgrade is feasible.  I personally find this an acceptable solution because that version was actually stable.

However, if you want to play on the Steam/GOG servers, you will have to keep trying to fix their buggy version.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

glad that i could help. i personally play the 1.2 version but for the first time ever i played the gog update online yesterday and must say it is fun when it works. i dint have a single crash yesterday but i might have just been lucky.
-- bf1 tcw battles

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on July 07, 2020, 06:53:47 AM
If you just want to play the game, the downgrade is feasible.  I personally find this an acceptable solution because that version was actually stable.

However, if you want to play on the Steam/GOG servers, you will have to keep trying to fix their buggy version.
Downgrading is a "solution" when it comes to reversing, not fixing the problem since you can't play in MP.

I would like to know if just by adding the Galaxy.dll, the new Common/Shell.lvl files and the Battlefront.exe you're able to get it work for 1.3.5.

If you decide to give it a shot, let me know! Might be a good way to figure out the problem.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

also what i heard was that if you are using a older steam client that this can cause problems.
-- bf1 tcw battles

July 08, 2020, 05:15:11 AM #10 Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 05:18:38 AM by Dark_Phantom
Quote from: Anyder on July 07, 2020, 05:26:23 PM
I would like to know if just by adding the Galaxy.dll, the new Common/Shell.lvl files and the Battlefront.exe you're able to get it work for 1.3.5.
Yes, if you have Steam installed and the game owned.  Otherwise you'd have to use the GOG version and you have to be logged in to Galaxy to use the online service.  And missing localization means you need a core.lvl too.  What are you trying to propose?  These files are all that was changed in the patch (and some OpenAL audio calls), and the patch is not working for him.

I literally said if you want to play on the Steam/GOG servers, you have to try to fix their version.  Otherwise a downgrade is feasible for a non-starting game.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

i read on the steam forums that people who used an older steam client before the new steam layout update had problems like this. if you have the steam version always make sure your steam client is up to date, which by default it should auto update. if you have the gog version i can also help as i own both. also in the 1.2 i had a problem with rhenvar not loading after the downgrade so if you have that problem then use this rhen var from the disc version it works perfectly. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xe1Xqx5yixNk_wjcE9ionOsL1gCotucE/view?usp=sharing
-- bf1 tcw battles

Quote from: wsa30h on July 08, 2020, 05:56:02 AM
i read on the steam forums that people who used an older steam client before the new steam layout update had problems like this. if you have the steam version always make sure your steam client is up to date, which by default it should auto update.

My Steam client is regularly updated. I still don't understand what's the problem with my game, but to be honest I just cared about the singleplayer. Now I'm happy. Thanks to all.

your welcome if you care only for singleplayer then i definitely recommend the 1.2 version. happy to help
-- bf1 tcw battles