Any One Up For A Mod Team?

Started by Epifire, August 23, 2010, 06:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys I have had this idea hanging for a while, and have also debated it with freinds on xfire. So I finnaly decided to post it here, for the best modders I know in gaming.

As it goes, I wanted to make a star wars mod for the source engine (havn't decided what game to make it for yet). Why source when their are leagal assets in exsisting star wars games? Because (1): the zero engine isn't to modder freindly (2): the source engine is much more capable, and workable (3): it is easier for the user all around and (4): the source engine has about eight million users as steam states, and thats just for HL 2.

So as far as ease of use goes it is very good in that view.

But heck what can you do in a major mod with out a team? So then I ask are their freinds here at MPC who are able, and willing to help in this new venture?

Cause one new modder can't do it alone.

So as for the particular mod I had for a proposal is this...    Starwars: The Mandalorian Wars. Since it is a time era in style from bioware's old republic, it wouldn't be out of the ball park in the most recent subjects in the starwars lore.

So depending on the agenda you guys wish to focus on (if you wish to do this) I had intended on making custom SP missions first. Heres a short settup I had in mind for pre war strikes of the mando wars. Playing as a mando warior, the player is in command of a assult squad. Launching a stealth mission, on the planet Seroco; you lead your squad to stealthly take out sensor, and first line of defence detection systems.

The mission goal is to disable the defence grid for Seroco's planetary defence, that would have inturn nocked out orbiting starships, such that the mandalorian's will attack with. To help with the imersive feel, I had aslo come up with classic complications like...

Your ship crashes in the mission start. You lost half you squad in the process. And then you meet un-expected retaliation from the republic units stationed there.

So thats my idea layed out in short.  :shrug:
photobucket limit image removed

I'm willing to try. It will give me something to do when I'm at my dads. We need an experienced modder to start us off tho

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

I am lost. Lets bounce around what I understand. Single player for now but soon will be multiplayer?

Yeah cull, if it works really good than we can good into a multiplayer mod for it as well.

I am just tring to see if you guys would like to take this up or not, but I really hope some you guys can.

Sounds like l4d2 mod is the way to go for a good Co-op experience

Yeah L4D2 has the best settup that I know of. But being that its all source it can't be all that different.

Quote from: Epifire on August 23, 2010, 06:50:34 PM
As it goes, I wanted to make a star wars mod for the source engine (havn't decided what game to make it for yet). Why source when their are leagal assets in exsisting star wars games? Because (1): the zero engine isn't to modder freindly (2): the source engine is much more capable, and workable (3): it is easier for the user all around and (4): the source engine has about eight million users as steam states, and thats just for HL 2.

So as for the particular mod I had for a proposal is this...    Starwars: The Mandalorian Wars. Since it is a time era in style from bioware's old republic, it wouldn't be out of the ball park in the most recent subjects in the starwars lore.

Yes, star wars related, I want to know more.

just installed the Source SDK...

I will be learning more now.
How much of ideas stated earlier are ready?

I've learned soem stuff about Source before, nothing spectacular. I'll join in thefuture perhaps.

Once we see some SDK stuff coming to mac, ill join.

Quote from: Led Zeppelin > God on August 24, 2010, 12:48:57 PM
Sounds like l4d2 mod is the way to go for a good Co-op experience

With the Source Engine you can create mods from scratch. You don't have to own Left 4 Dead 2, just at least one Source Engine game tied to your Steam account.

Due to my limited knowledge and interest in the Star Wars Universe, I will have to pass on this otherwise intriguing offer. Best of luck to Epifire and the potential modding team! :D

#TYBG

I have come up with some models, that in turn can be made into game assets. They need bone chains and textures but I am well on the way of getting them in source.

Allright, for the info on building a type of mod... I came up with the mission, off of wookiepedia, since it is historicaly acurate. just type in key words seroco, mandalorian, or old republic. and those should give us answers on story.

If people could look into getting a feel for the SDK that would be great ( like termonology and names of stuff ). I have sucessfully built some small test maps that run with only a few errors like some missing props, so I am not to oblivious of how to use hammer.

Next is weapon ideas, and sounds. You can't get a good mod with out the weapons.   :XD:

I am not shure how easy it is to use custom sounds in hammer but I am sure its possible. And since I am not sure on how all of it is done either ask around on steam, or check out these info sites...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=192

http://halfwit-2.com/?page=home

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Hammer

All of the links there, should help alof with using hammer and anything SDK related.

If you guys have any other ideas in story, get a topic going on that to. Perferably being historycaly acurate.  :

Thanks a bunch guys.   :tu: