How do you hide kill chat in swbf1?

Started by {TcF}Dr.Penguin, October 12, 2014, 09:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey, me and some other guys were playing this new game we made for swbf1, but it's kind of ruined by the fact that you can see who kills who. Is there any way to mod that out so it's just blank instead of saying ___KILLED___

Thank you for the help.

Would it be at all possible to make this a server mod, like fairsides? That would probably be the simplest way right?
Join the BOBclan Discord: click here | Proud member of the BOBclan since 2014

I think that is handled by the client.  It think a client mod would be possible, maybe in the localization.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

i have a core mod that disables all the game fonts so you cant see who killed who but it also disables chat and reinforcements ammo etc. so you would need to find a way to mod the executable to call on a custom font for the kill messages instead of the stock fonts which are used globally.
you could try also removing the kill message string keys from the core.lvl and disable player names but idk if that would work.

Actually phobos, that last one is what I instantly thought of. If you replace those %p calls with "There was a kill" or just put in some font bytes that swbfs font doesnt have a character for, it could solve the problem. I'll try this later on my pc

That sounds like a nice idea, let me know if there is any way I can help. :)

Quote from: RepublicCommando on October 13, 2014, 09:55:26 AM
Actually phobos, that last one is what I instantly thought of. If you replace those %p calls with "There was a kill" or just put in some font bytes that swbfs font doesnt have a character for, it could solve the problem. I'll try this later on my pc

Did you try it?  I don't know how to do any of this stuff so I'm hoping some one else will try it who can.

October 15, 2014, 11:21:01 AM #7 Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:36:00 PM by RepublicCommando
I crashed as soon as I started the game, but the core.lvl was only a few bytes, so I think I used the wrong builder.
I'll do it with a one that works this afternoon.

I can't get anything to munge, and it's not been a good day besides getting an epic java script to work in Unity3d, but I did manage to get an english.LOC munged localization.

Just pop that in the munged folder for a core builder, and skip the process of munging the CFG files.

If you want to edit that messages, go into multilanguage tool game->infomsg and edit the children to say what you want.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Its seems I missed this before...

Pardon my ignorance, but... what? Are you saying we need to munge this?

If that is so, unfortunately I don't have the mod tools so I can't, would someone set this up for us?

What a cool idea! Hiding the "who-kills-who" text would allow from some interesting gameplay. Imagine all the different types of games you could play with the addition of some rules. Zombie, Traitor, Mr.President, Lone Survivor, Infiltrator, Spy... But say. What about the Tab menu? Would that give anything away?

Well, there is an easy mode to set up where no one can see the player names above anyone's head.

I think it is an option in the GUI, but I know for sure there is a command line switch.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

October 24, 2014, 08:05:15 AM #12 Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:26:15 AM by Norwood
Does that interrupt the kill feed though?

Edit: 200th post!

Quote from: Kelle on October 23, 2014, 11:54:21 PM
What a cool idea! Hiding the "who-kills-who" text would allow from some interesting gameplay. Imagine all the different types of games you could play with the addition of some rules. Zombie, Traitor, Mr.President, Lone Survivor, Infiltrator, Spy... But say. What about the Tab menu? Would that give anything away?
If you had a common mod that disabled the tab menu script (ifs_mp_lobby), a server hosted with player names disabled, and the invisible font core.lvl it would work, but you would have to use xfire to chat since it wouldn't show ingame. IDK if I posted the invisible core here, if not I can upload it.