[ICW] Intergalactic Clan War -- Announcement and Rules (Rough Draft)

Started by Oven, July 02, 2012, 09:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Conclusion and Awards

ICW calendar (updated as information comes in)

ICW Mod Map Pack (7z)

ICW Mod Map Pack (rar)

Week 1 thread
Week 2 thread
Week 3 thread
Week 4 thread
Week 5 thread
Week 6 thread
Week 7 thread
Week 8 thread

Tournament admins:
Oven (xfire: ovenlovesyou)
Black&Orange Scorpion (5hadowclaw)
Epifire (epifire)
Jamman (jammy19)
Wild (wildisbeast)

Hello clans of Star Wars Battlefront! My name is Oven, and I would like to announce the creation of a new Tournament for SWBF. The tournament will be organized and hosted through SWBFgamers.com. It will be in line with the tradition of the GGWs of old, but updated and changed significantly.

Here I will give the first draft of the rules for this tournament. These rules are tentative and subject to change. If you don't like a rule, please tell everyone why. All members of participating clans are invited to read these rules thoroughly and discuss them below. If you have reasonable (as defined by me) suggestions for improvements, list them clearly in the comments below, and later a voting thread will be created where the proposed amendments can be voted on (with each participating clan having one vote). The goal is for this tournament's architecture to be as democratic as possible, but not more.

Another thread will be created where anyone may nominate as many maps as they want (stock or mod) which will be used in the landscape of the war. These will also then be voted on later, perhaps in the same thread as the rule improvements. Probably around 12-15 maps will be chosen.

1. Basic tournament layout

As in previous wars, the tournament proceeds in a series of weeks (Week 1, Week 2, ...).

Also as before, the skeleton of the tournament consists of a network of planets which may be occupied, attacked, defended, and so forth by clans. Every planet is connected to a (low) number of other planets, and a clan may only move from Planet A to Planet B if A and B are connected. Only one clan may occupy a planet at any given time.

There will be two types of planet, Large and Small. A Large planet contains two maps, and a Small planet contains one map. (Therefore Coruscant, Earth, Hoth, Bespin are strong candidates for being Large Planets. Mygeeto is not) There will be precisely as many large planets as there are clans at the beginning of the tournament. Each clan will be randomly assigned to a Large Planet at the beginning of the tournament. This will be their Home planet, but there is otherwise no special significance attached to this planet. The rules for attacking and defending home planets are no different from those for Large planets in general. (Note that if a clan is eliminated from the tournament, not all large planets will be home planets.)

Small planets are occupied by natives at the beginning of the tournament. A Native team may contain literally anyone, including tournament Admins, other clan members, and other members of SWBFgamers who are interesting in participating. However, the ratio of attacking clan members to defending natives must be 3:2. This means that for every 3 attacking clan members, there can be at most 2 defending natives. Example: CLAN attacks Mustafar with 9 members. Therefore only 6 players may defend as natives. If there are a weird number of attackers, then the odds will be shifted in favor of the attackers. Example: CLAN attacks Mustafar with 8 members. Then only 5 players may defend as natives. (8*2/3 = 5.333, round down to 5.)

Justification: The odds should be biased in favor of the attacking clan, because the goal of the tournament is to have clan-clan interaction and not clan-random player interaction. The idea is to extinguish the natives relatively early in the tournament.

Furthermore, at most 2 members from any given clan may play as natives. Justification: CLAN vs. native should really mean CLAN vs. native, not CLAN vs. opposing clan.

The other cases are: Clan attacks large planet, and clan attacks small planet. The details of all these scenarios are given below.

Scenario: Clan attacks Large Planet.
# attackers: No more than the number of defenders
# defenders: at least 4, at most 12
# maps played: 2. attacker must win both times to take planet.
Defender privileges: select era and side.
Attacker privileges: choose map order

Scenario: Clan attacks natives on small planet.
# attackers: no restriction
# defenders: 2 for every 3 attackers
# maps played: 1. Winner takes planet.
Defender privileges: none
Attacker privileges: select era and side

Scenario: Clan attacks other clan on small planet.
# attackers: At most 8
# defenders: At most 8
# maps played: 1. Winner takes planet.
Defender privileges: none
Attacker privileges: select era and side

Example: CLAN attacks NALC on a Large planet, and only 7 NALC can play at the designated time, then only 7 CLAN may play.
Example: CLAN attacks NALC on a small planet, and only 5 NALC can play at the designated time, 8 CLAN members may still play.
Example: CLAN attacks NALC on a large planet, but only wins 1 of the 2 maps. NALC retains control of the planet.

A clan is defeated when it controls no planets. Once defeated, a clan may not return to the tournament. A clan will be declared winner of the tournament when it has eradicated all other clans. However, the admins reserve the right to terminate the war if it appears to have no end in sight after many weeks. In this event, 2 weeks' notice would be given and the winner would be declared based on number of planets held.

2. How matches work

Each week, a clan may attack 2 planets, in addition to providing whatever defense duties are required. Matches shall be held on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Each week, a thread will be created by me either Sunday night or sometime on Monday, called "WEEK 1" or something like that. The original post will contain an updated map, and official news, updates, etc. In this thread, clan representatives will announce which planets they are attacking, and propose times (again, only on Fri, Sat, or Sun.) The defending clan will then reply to that post, stating whether or not they can make it. If they cannot make it, then they may propose another time. If this time is acceptable for the attacking clan, then all ends well. If this time is unacceptable, then the first two times, the match will be cancelled. However, beyond the first two times, the defending clan will forfeit. Justification: Clans should not be allowed to purposefully schedule matches at odd times to inconvenience the defender. However, clans which have a habit of ducking battles should be penalized.

All battle announcements must be made by Midnight CST on Tuesday, and settled upon by both clans by Midnight CST Thursday. If a large planet is being attacked, both maps must be fought one after the other, in the same server and will be arranged as such by SWBFgamers.

Battles will start when they are scheduled. We understand that coordinating these things is difficult, so admins will be somewhat forgiving about starting on time. But if the game is delayed by an unreasonable amount of time (as determined by the admin, and probably on the order of 10 minutes), we reserve the right to force a start or a forfeit.

The battle announcements must take the following form:
Attacking clan:
Defending clan:
Planet:
Proposed date and time of battle:
Attacker side: (If attacking a native-held planet)

When the defending clan makes their response to the attacker's post, they will select their side.

Only 1 match shall be held at any given time. If a time slot is already taken, another clan will have to choose a different one.

Only posts made in the correct place at swbfgamers.com are considered official. Xfire, GB, and other communications are encouraged but irrelevant for official matters. All official decisions (made by clans or admins) will be posted in these forums for all to see.

Restrictions:
i. Clans may only attack planets that are connected to one of their planets (or those of an allied clan. An official map of the galactic landscape will be posted once the planets have been chosen.

ii. If two clans decide to attack a neutral planet in the same week, then the battle will be held normally, with the clan that announced the attack first getting defender privileges and the ability to choose sides. No more clans may attack a neutral planet after the first 2.

iii. Only one clan may attack a held planet at a time. First come first serve.

3. Rules of Engagement

A. No special units (this means droideka, clone jet, empire jet, and wookie). Trooper, Rocket, Pilot, and Sniper classes are always permitted.
B. Vehicles are permitted in all situations.
C. Capturing CPs is permitted in all situations.
D. Pre-mines are not permitted in any situation, and laying pre-mines amounts to an automatic forfeiture.
E. Spawn mines are permitted.
F. Teamkill is always off.
G. All servers shall be /noaim.
H. No swearing.
I. No false starts.
J. Only an admin may countdown a battle.
K. No playing with an amount of players that violates the rules above.
L. No impersonating other clan members.
M. All players must wear tags ingame. (including Mercenaries)
N. Absolutely no minimap hack/radar permitted.
Violation of rules D, I, J, K, L, N are grounds for immediate forfeiture. Violation of other rules may lead to penalties at the discretion of the admin. Penalties include but are not limited to, in order of grievousness: loss of attacker/defender privileges, reduction of players allowed for the next match, and loss of a planet. Precisely 1 warning will always be given before penalty ensues.

Rule L will be enforced by recording the IPs of random players for every game, and in detail for games in which impersonation is suspected.

Any attempt to influence the opinions of any admin is also grounds for penalty, and if it happens multiple times, disqualification. Calling out another clan for starting early, or having too many members, is completely fine, but all other matters should be left in the admin's hands.

Admins will record the results of a game using one or more of the following methods: freecam, video, xfire screenshots. An Admin will post the screenshot of the final screen on the forums soon after a battle is finished.

4. Diplomacy

Alliances. A Clan may have at most one ally. Justification: this promotes diversity of factions, increases competition, and encourages clan development rather than powerful-friend development.

If clan A is allied with Clan B, these are the benefits:

i. Members of clan B may play as members of clan A in any situation. However the team must be composed of at least 2/3 clan A. Example: 6 members of Clan A show up to attack a planet. At most 3 allied clan members may help out.
ii. Clan A may launch an attack from a planet occupied by Clan B.
iii. If only Clan A and Clan B remain at the end of the tournament, both will be declared winners.

Please note that if Clan B is eliminated, it may not continue to help Clan A. And of course, allied clans may not attack one another.

Alliances may be announced at any time. Both clan representatives must confirm the alliance, which will go into effect immediately. It only takes one representative to terminate an alliance, however.

Mercenaries. Any clan may employ 1 mercenary in any match. The mercenary must not be a member of a different participating clan (including allies).

5. Server Details

All games will be hosted by SWBFgamers. (Right now, SWBFgamers has servers in both Chicago, Atlanta, and Manchester). The defending clan in any clan-clan confrontation will have the ability to choose the server location, although tournament admins reserve the right to change the server location if a clan deliberately chooses an unreasonable location (i.e. CLAN selects Manchester to annoy NALC, despite all members being American).

6. What to do right now.

1. Appoint a clan representative. This member must add my xfire (ovenlovesyou) and have an account on this website. This member will be the official voice of the clan, scheduling matches and casting official votes when such opportunities arise. However, all members of all clans are encouraged to participate in discussions.

EDIT: There should be 1 senior representative, but this representative may appoint backup representatives (in advance!) if they cannot post for some reason.

2. Critique these rules as little or as much as you like in the comments below. If you have significant changes that you think should be made, let other know and they will be voted upon. Each clan gets one vote, and any proposed modification must be agreed on by at least ¾ of clans in order to be made. Bizarre proposals will not be considered at all (such as allowing false starts, prohibiting trooper class, etc.)

3. Make a list of mod maps which you think would be good – stock or mod. The goal is to have about 2x as many maps as clans – an equal number of small and large planets. The maps should be fairly well known, but a map pack will be uploaded well in advance of week 1 for easy downloading. A thread will be created soon in which each clan representative may do the following:
i. Submit a list of large planet suggestions, along with 2 maps for each.
ii. Submit a list of small planet suggestions

Here is a list of clans who have expressed interest in the tournament so far:
Alpha
FC
GGR
UCF
VIPER
WUSI

Other clans we have yet to communicate with:
GRC
YAK (this was a group of swbfgamers.com-associated players and friends formed to participate in the GGCW. If you are not affiliated with a clan that is participating in this tournament, this is a good way to get in on the fun.)

Of course, any clan may enter the tournament, provided it demonstrates competence and/or a reasonable number of players.

That's a well polished rough draft.
YAK probably won't join due to how complex it became last time for YAK to organise things; we had international players in lot's of different clans with variable moods and an apathetic leader (Me).

July 03, 2012, 03:19:16 AM #2 Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:55:10 AM by ✫Şђã·Żäм✫
I thought Yak was a great short-term, "miss-matched" clan. Being as I was a GGCW Admin, I thought it was quite hilarious of the thought of purely random players coming together and fighting another clan that claims to be "trained" for this sort of thing. I encourage Yak past members to come together once more, dispite some time restraints.  :cheers:

I will join it. I'll be fun. :cheer:

ALPHA WILL WIN!!!!
Derp.

[FC] will most likely be participating and I will be the primary representative for the clan.

SWBFgamers will be happy to host servers.  I have some thoughts about restricting not allowed units by map luas. 
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I am pleased by the response so far in these forums and through other channels. It should be a good tournament.

I would like to see YAK (or a similar entity) come to this war, even if the members are completely different. It offers a lot more players the chance to get in on the fun.

Led, any help you can offer is much appreciated!

Last thing, I am currently looking for 2-3 people to be ingame admins for the ICW. These people must be unaffiliated with a participating clan. I shouldn't have a problem finding people over xfire but if you see this and are interested, add me and ask (ovenlovesyou).

How do you sign up to join?
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

Quote from: WusiEss.ΙΞ¢KØ on July 08, 2012, 10:48:45 AM
How do you sign up to join?

A clan leader should just make a post here announcing that they are participating. You should also announce a clan representative (which can be anyone and must have an account here) who will make official postings on behalf of the clan.

All interested clans should make their decision and post here within the next few days. I will be on xfire more to answer questions/coordinate/etc. I will get definite answers from as many clans as possible so that no one misses this opportunity.

Almost certainly there will be a clan for random people (called YAK or something else). If you want to be in this "clan" for the sake of the tournament, post here or xfire me. Being on this team should not be considered multiclanning as it is a one-time thing for this tournament.

July 09, 2012, 01:55:42 PM #9 Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:59:19 AM by ✫Şђã·Żäм✫
So far, YAK has 20 members for the ICW.
-Myself (Sha-Zam)
-gdh92
-ComFrost
-ComCody
-Van STING
-Penguin
-Gold Man
-4lbbream
-Trooper X
-Droideka
-Daniel
-Vetran/Josh
-Snake
-dbiz
-BabyEater
-Ecko
-Disciple

Want to help YAK, may not be in all of the wars:
-Unit 33
-Stewie
-Syrion

I encourage anyone who is not already participating in a clan in the ICW to join YAK.
We have a recruitment forum here: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=4370.0
Even if you don't think you can show up for all of the wars, please join! We need more members!

Hi, UEF will participate, but tell me the most important info.
Im so lazy :P for reading it.

so it is a XonX ?
Maps ?
Time ?
When does it start ?
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Quote from: ✫Şђã·Żäм✫ on July 09, 2012, 01:55:42 PM
So far, YAK has 5 members for the ICW.
-Myself
-gdh92
-ComFrost
-ComCody
-Van STING

I encourage anyone who is not already participating in a clan in the ICW to join YAK.
We have a recruitment forum here: http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=4370.0
Even if you don't think you can show up for all of the wars, please join! We need more members!

This is good news. I will inquire on xfire about more members, and link them to that thread. I already know of several candidates. Who is going to be the "leader"/representative for YAK?

Quote from: {U.E.F}Immortal Anyder <3 Black Veil Brides on July 09, 2012, 02:29:55 PM
Hi, UEF will participate, but tell me the most important info.
Im so lazy :P for reading it.

so it is a XonX ?
Maps ?
Time ?
When does it start ?

The maps/layout will be announced within a few days. The tournament is expected to start in around 2 weeks.

Everyone who participates is expected to know the rules, so you had better read them. "I didn't know" will not be an acceptable excuse in this tournament. Also, if you crash any servers your clan will be immediately disqualified and removed from the tournament archives.

Quote from: Oven on July 09, 2012, 06:43:27 PM
This is good news. I will inquire on xfire about more members, and link them to that thread. I already know of several candidates. Who is going to be the "leader"/representative for YAK?
It was decided today that I will be the YAK Representative for the Intergalactic Clan War by a vote from 7 of our members.

I cant crash a server anymore.
But answer my questions.
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

212 will participate in this tournament. I will be 212's represtative :D
>>>----Arrow------>
Say little when you lose, less when you win. :)